Rumor: Rumor & Proposals: The sound of silence (Free Agency opens 12PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I want a ton of moves tomorrow but nothing too stupid.

My hope is that somehow, someway, Nuge stays an Oiler, but I can't see it shaking down like that.

I hope so, too. I like having center depth for once. The top pundits always say you win with strength down the middle and D. That's why I can live with the Hall trade. Wingers are important, sure, but Cs and Ds are what what win you championships. Pens just won in large part because of their incredible depth down the middle, and it help offset a D that wasn't incredibly deep. I say we should try and do the same. Keep our centers! In fact, keep the centers we have, and even add one from the UFA market to upgrade on Letestu.

There's a lot of good 3rd line Cs that would probably sign for cheap. Play him on the 4th line, and bury Letestu, who's too small and weak to be even just a 'good' defensive center, never mind great or elite. Here's the Cs available as UFAs:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2016&pos=C

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Serious question here. Not saying it will happen but, HUGE IF, If Nuge goes to Col for Barrie (add on other side depending on who "loses" the trade) how are people going to react????

Personally I'd hate to lose Nuge. Hall trade didn't faze me but I really think Nuge gets underrated and is a huge piece going forward. That being said,if we can land Barrie Im all in. That changes our D and our team incredibly with potentially him and now Larsson coming in. We still have tons of fire power up front so lets do something crazy, wait till at least the end of the weekend before writing off the season and running Chia out of town

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I hope so, too. I like having center depth for once. The top pundits always say you win with strength down the middle and D. That's why I can live with the Hall trade. Wingers are important, sure, but Cs and Ds are what what win you championships. Pens just won in large part because of their incredible depth down the middle, and it help offset a D that wasn't incredibly deep. I say we should try and do the same. Keep our centers! In fact, keep the centers we have, and even add one from the UFA market to upgrade on Letestu.

There's a lot of good 3rd line Cs that would probably sign for cheap:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2016&pos=C

What can Letestu plus grab you to address our problems on D? (Especially with the high demand and low supply of RHD.)

Serious question here. Not saying it will happen but, HUGE IF, If Nuge goes to Col for Barrie (add on other side depending on who "loses" the trade) how are people going to react????

Personally I'd hate to lose Nuge. Hall trade didn't faze me but I really think Nuge gets underrated and is a huge piece going forward. That being said,if we can land Barrie Im all in. That changes our D and our team incredibly with potentially him and now Larsson coming in. We still have tons of fire power up front so lets do something crazy, wait till at least the end of the weekend before writing off the season and running Chia out of town

I would be okay with it if we got a high end 3C low end 2C, would not be okay with it if we left our centre depth as is after potential trade.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
What can Letestu plus grab you to address our problems on D? (Especially with the high demand and low supply of RHD.)

EDIT: Sorry, I understand now. I don't think Letestu has any value at all, unfortunately. I don't even think he would be claimed on waivers.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Actually with Stauffer hinting that maybe it'll be Landeskog to go for Trouba instead of Duchene, I would assume the return for Barrie would change from RNH to Eberle.
Still don't like Yakupov and Puljujarvi as our RW depth. Maybe Barrie for our 1st next year + Yakupov?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Oh I understand now. Yeah, I'm just tired. Anyway, I don't think Letestu has any value, to be honest. I don't even think he'd be claimed on waivers. He was really, truly atrocious last season.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
EDIT: Poster in question answered

Which centers would you guys be comfortable with to land on July 1 to make Nuge expendable for Barrie?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Sorry, you mentioned getting an upgrade on Letestu for 3C.

I was just asking what you think Oilers can do to address defense with a trade package of Letestu + picks/prospects

Yeah, I figured it out after, lol. I'm just really tired. Sorry about that.

Unfortunately, I don't think Letestu has any value what-so-ever. He was just SOOOO bad last season. For a 'defensive' player he looked WAY too small and weak to be effective defensively in a Western Conf. that is full of huge scoring forwards. We should just buy him out, IMO, and sign a UFA like Fiddler or Helm or Matthias or even a guy like Spaling, who doesn't have much offense, but at least he's really good defensively. One thing to keep in mind is that I think Chia wants at least one center who's a righty, which was one of the reasons for signing Letestu to begin with. I think all the guys I mentioned are lefties, so that might cancel them out by default. I'll try to go through the UFA list for a good defensive and decently sized C who's a righty tomorrow.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
If the return is Barrie/Ellis/Spurgeon I can live with it. Dumba or Brodin on the other hand would be pretty gross.

I'm pretty certain Brodin is out as an option for us with Larsson coming in. That is unless were trying to build an all swede D. Just need Karlsson Klingberg and Hedman lol

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
If the return is Barrie/Ellis/Spurgeon I can live with it. Dumba or Brodin on the other hand would be pretty gross.

I'm pretty sure there was a report that Chia walked out on Minny because they wouldn't add on Dumba.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Actually with Stauffer hinting that maybe it'll be Landeskog to go for Trouba instead of Duchene, I would assume the return for Barrie would change from RNH to Eberle.
Still don't like Yakupov and Puljujarvi as our RW depth. Maybe Barrie for our 1st next year + Yakupov?

I would jump at Eberle for Barrie so fast it'd make your head spin! :laugh:

My guess is that if a deal isn't struck by 12PM EST tomorrow that we move on from Barrie and concentrate on other options.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Chia lands a good centre tomorrow, you can probably say goodbye to Nuge.

Unless he decides to play Drai on the RW and keep the added option of having 3 top 6 centers on the club. If so we could still use a legit 3C that could put up 30ish points.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
EDIT: Poster in question answered

Which centers would you guys be comfortable with to land on July 1 to make Nuge expendable for Barrie?

For me, I'm not really sure there's any. The only UFA center I like quite a bit is Backes. Thing is, he's going to cost a lot of money and term, and he's starting to get old, as he's already 32 years old. I guess Frans Nielsen would be a pretty decent replacement. Not quite as good, but pretty similar style player. If we trade RNH for Barrie, then sign Nielsen, things might not be too bad. I might not look for a cliff or bridge to jump off. ;)

EDIT: Oh crap. Nielsen is also already 32 years old. Geez, I thought he was like 27. I guess there are no good UFA replacements for RNH that are young (like 25 to 28-ish)

EDIT 2: Backes is a righty. That might mean something to Chia. I know he's kind of obsessed with having guys down the middle that shoot both ways, and Dmen that shoot on their proper side. I guess we'll find out.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Backes wins draws and currently we have nobody that can do that

He's also big, throws hits, good defensively, and is a right-shot, which trust me Chia cares about. I remember him mentioning that it was one reason we signed Letestu: we needed a center who shot right-handed as we didn't have any. This would give us a righty down the middle who isn't a black hole defensively like Letestu. If we trade RNH, I can see Chia going hard after Backes. Also can't forget about the leadership and vet factor he'd bring to the locker room. Might be a good fit. I just wish he was a couple years younger.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Backes wins draws and currently we have nobody that can do that

Yea just noticed, McDavid still getting used to putting leverage and strength on stick in the NHL, and Nuge was never that great on draw.

Lander was pretty nice though (378 W/315 L)(54.5%), not going to lie, I thought he deserved more chances at the draw. Letestu was good too (596 W/ 566 L) (51.3%).

I don't think we have anybody as elite and experienced as Backes at the dot (620 W / 572 L) (52 %). But really it's just a nice cherry on top to have. Wouldn't assess it too hard when looking for a center this July (although all the centers I want have a great FO% lol)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's also big, throws hits, good defensively, and is a right-shot, which trust me Chia cares about. I remember him mentioning that it was one reason we signed Letestu: we needed a center who shot right-handed as we didn't have any. This would give us a righty down the middle who isn't a black hole defensively like Letestu. If we trade RNH, I can see Chia going hard after Backes. Also can't forget about the leadership and vet factor he'd bring to the locker room. Might be a good fit. I just wish he was a couple years younger.

Can we really afford Backes though if we sign Lucic and brought in someone like Barrie (or even Demers)?

I can't see him signing for anything less than in the 5-6M range. Helm seems more reasonable in the 3M range.

I really wish Lander would have panned out last season and become a 30 point 3C. I guess there's still a chance it could happen, but I'm sure as hell not holding my breath on it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad