Rumor: Rumor & Proposals: The sound of silence (Free Agency opens 12PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Namtsua

Apr 4, 2011
BC
If Demers wants to come here, I'm not taking the risk of waiting out the trade market to see what kind of core piece I can get killed on.

Demers is a good D-man. I'd be very happy to have him here and I still think after signing him that we can look into a PP QB of a cheaper variety.

Dumba?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Lol you are validating his point. Tavares- an elite center- has shouldered the load single-handed in his time as an Islander.....even leading them to repeated playoff appearances/100 point seasons.

Why can't McDavid- a generational center- do the same?

The Islanders made the playoffs, sure, but they aren't contenders by any means.

Hall for Larsson might help us make the playoffs but it's about winning the cup. The teams that win the cup have elite players at all skating positions, not just defense and centre.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Offense can't do anything when you're hemmed in your own zone for most of the game. That's a big part why we got Larsson.

As for Demers, he's unlikely to come here.

Chia has options for the offensive d-man, he can either:

1. Nuge for Barrie
2. Sign Wiz or Wideman
3. OS one of the young guns (Trouba, Lindholm, Ceci, etc.)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
LArsson used to be an offensive Dman. Then he got drafted by NJ. When you get benched and then healthy scratched because you made a bad pinch in your second year in the nhl....you tend to get pretty scared to run with your instincts.

I think CHia will continue to look for that shot threat BUT i also believe he knows Larsson and knows his O game history. ITs present today in the way he can transition, find lanes, and make clean passes to forwards. Its harder to make those transition passes than it is to execute plays when you are on the attack. That bodes well for him

I fully expect Chia to get us a PP qb with a shot threat....but I also expect Larsson will be trained out of his hesitation to join offensive plays. It will be a process, for a guy who has spent years having his hands hit by a yard stick every time he tried something creative.

If Lucic doesnt sign tomorrow...ths was still a trade that needed to happen but it will hurt more. I believe Lucic signs though and our wings are playoff worthy. Add one more solid dman and we have an actual competitive lineup

i did a lineup yesterday with Lucic and Demers and Larsson.....

WOW What a change

Chiarelli had a media presser after the trade and said outright that we shouldn't expect offense from Larsson because he's not a 'sexy' defender. He then said that he is looking for a PP dman to add.

Although I totally agree that Larsson has offense in his game that might emerge on our team. It's best to think conservatively with Larsson while he is new and still very young. If the offense comes, great, but the expectation is for him to help us win the possession and transition war. If we're adding pure offense to that, that's not Demers.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Also, I'm in the minority here, but for Lucic:

Max money I'm giving is 6.25M cap hit.

Max term I'm giving is 6 years.

Anything over and I think it's risky (in term case) or bad (in money case).

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Chiarelli will take us to the playoffs soon. Larsson and more dmen is exactly what we need. All these posters crying right now will see the light. In life it takes calculated risks to be a winner, and we will win. Book it and quote me!

Chia knew he was going to be roasted. He is the only one to really step out and take a calculated risk to solve our problems. he knows he will eat this if it doesnt work.

He isnt willing to play it safe. he certainly did the work to see if he could get a d cheaper but he also had his select targets.

This is why Chia wins a cup. You have to take risks. you have to build a team.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Demers doesn't really make a lot of sense to me anymore as Larsson brings a somewhat similar skill-set. At this point, we need a defenceman who can quarterback our first powerplay unit and that's not something Demers is really known for. Demers would certainly provide an upgrade to our top four over Davidson (who is likely currently slotted in at #4) but I just don't see him being a big enough improvement to justify a long-term deal at over $5M.

On the other hand, I really don't like the idea of penciling in Davidson in the top 4 to start next year.

It would probably be fayne than Davidson but agreed on both players

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Seems like nothing is going down? To the guy that said that Nicholson said "wait for tomorrow" maybe Bob thought yesterday was Thursday? :sarcasm:

Could've been talking about the barrie/Nuge/trouba/etc trade but that's hit a snag and/or falling apart?

And meanwhile.. 7x7? Please no. Chia, just back away. Please.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The thing about Dumba is he really makes some dumb plays, but you can see the potential there is sky high. He impressed me at the world championship. So did Ceci. Both of those guys play with so much swagger, you can tell they're improving and learning and will become very good players in the future. They're willing to take risks and not afraid to make mistakes.

If you look at the NHL leaders in giveaways, it's all the best defencemen in the NHL. Guys willing to try and thread the needle or make high risk, high reward plays. Subban, Doughty, Karlsson lead that category. You need defence who will do the unthinkable. You don't need defence who are too timid and scared to make a mistake so they rifle it off the glass for the icing, praying it bounces off someone first.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Could've been talking about the barrie/Nuge/trouba/etc trade but that's hit a snag and/or falling apart?

And meanwhile.. 7x7? Please no. Chia, just back away. Please.

I would rather sign McGinn and Brouwer than Lucic at 7x7

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Also, I'm in the minority here, but for Lucic:

Max money I'm giving is 6.25M cap hit.

Max term I'm giving is 6 years.

Anything over and I think it's risky (in term case) or bad (in money case).

i agree. I DO NOT Think the oilers offered 7. I think other teams hear the Oilers are ahead to get Lucic and THOSE teams are trying hard to win him. I think he will come to Edmonton for 6.25. I would not be surprised if after LA he signs with Chia and the Oil for 5.75.

I think with Lucic its more than money. first off Katz can make your life pretty easy. McDavid is on your team. You likely get an A again and become a leader. The team is taking significant steps to fill its holes.

I think if you already like Chia and you see the move he made to get the job done thursday... Lucic sees the serious attitude of the Oilers. You already had a good working relationship with Chia and you are familiar with his execution in making a team. Its a known situation thats comfortable. He likes the idea of playing in Edmonton -west coast boy.

I think the Hall trade shows Chia will make this a real team. He has the brass balls. He will take the bullets.
I think we still get Lucic tomorrow despite bigger offers being on the table.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Lucic put up 10 less points than Hall this year. Pouliot was on pace to score somewhere around 60. You NEED high end centremen to go far in this league. You don't need numerous high end wingers to go far.

See Pittsburgh. Especially when you have a McDavid, you do not need to pay for numerous skilled wingers. Eberle alone is enough.

If Eberle alone is enough? Why are we even bothering with Lucic? It's going to be about $6M in wasted cap space cause if you only really need one skilled winger on a team.

Lucic also played mostly with Kopitar and Toffoli, Hall played with the poor man's sophomore version of Kopitar in Draisaitl and Purcell who is a mediocre 2nd line at best compared to a fantastic right winger in Toffoli. Lucic also had very near the least amount of defensive zone starts on the team seeing more offensive and neutral zone starts than Hall.

Then if you look at Hall's career point per game average compared to Lucic's, Hall based on an 82 game season would average 20.5 more points a year. It might of been closer this year than most, but it's an act of dishonesty to think Lucic brings the same kind of offensive game as Hall. My hope is Lucic and McDavid mesh well and we can pitch him off in 2-3 years, instead of keeping him long term like Pittsburgh did with Kunitz who was absolutely primed to be sold off at a premium 4 years ago.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I remember a couple weeks back posting a Hall for Hamonic ++ proposal on the basis that Lucic signs. I said that Hamonic + Lucic is a better team than just Hall. I still stand by this and I like Larsson better than Hamonic.

I remember posters saying NO WAY do you do that trade because EVERY single trade needs to be won. And you can't combine trades and free agency signings together to assess their worth. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

What went down was exactly as I predicted when analyzing the market and what was out there. No one views Eberle, RNH, or Hall has highly as we do. That is just reality, it's the reality of playing on a ****** team for 6 years straight and not showing the ability to win.

When all is said and done. I think Chia builds a play-off team. And really, he had to lose a trade here or there to make it happen. If you really think he didn't explore all options you weren't watching closely enough or you are accusing Chia of being a liar. (because he said he looked at options for defencemen on multiple levels)

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I remember a couple weeks back posting a Hall for Hamonic ++ proposal on the basis that Lucic signs. I said that Hamonic + Lucic is a better team than just Hall. I still stand by this and I like Larsson better than Hamonic.

I remember posters saying NO WAY do you do that trade because EVERY single trade needs to be won. And you can't combine trades and free agency signings together to assess their worth. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

What went down was exactly as I predicted when analyzing the market and what was out there. No one views Eberle, RNH, or Hall has highly as we do. That is just reality, it's the reality of playing on a ****** team for 6 years straight and not showing the ability to win.

When all is said and done. I think Chia builds a play-off team. And really, he had to lose a trade here or there to make it happen. If you really think he didn't explore all options you weren't watching closely enough or you are accusing Chia of being a liar. (because he said he looked at options for defencemen on multiple levels)
Good post.

Planisphaerium

Jan 27, 2011
Some clown on tsn 690 is saying how Larsson is a bust and if he gets you Hall, Subban shouldve gotten a young lemieux, a young jagr and a young bure in addition to 10 first round draft picks.

Lol?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2087217&highlight=

there the thread I started on June 6th -I got shredded for the idea

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I'm still on board with signing Demers provided it comes without a NMC. It allows us to give Davidson a year to see if he is worth protecting. We could leave Demers exposed and lose somebody we gave up no assets to acquire.

NewSaskOil

Apr 1, 2012
Regina
Offense can't do anything when you're hemmed in your own zone for most of the game. That's a big part why we got Larsson.

As for Demers, he's unlikely to come here.

Chia has options for the offensive d-man, he can either:

1. Nuge for Barrie
2. Sign Wiz or Wideman
3. OS one of the young guns (Trouba, Lindholm, Ceci, etc.)

If we do indeed trade Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for Tyson Barrie, we need another center.I don't care if we have to pay through the ass with Draft picks for Martin Hanzal. We need to make the playoffs

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
So say we sign Lucic to 6-6.5. After factoring in bonuses, and probably a contract for Pulj, how much cap do we have for this season? like 8 mil? There is something else coming if so.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
If we do indeed trade Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for Tyson Barrie, we need another center.I don't care if we have to pay through the ass with Draft picks for Martin Hanzal. We need to make the playoffs

Definitely, Nielsen seems unlikely to come here due to his supposed talks with Red Wings.

That leaves two swallow-able options from Free Agency, Backes or Staal for cheap.

I'm on the Demers boat but I don't think it'll happen. So second option is keep RNH and sign a cheap offensive d-man for cheap like Wiz until Davidson comes to his own.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

I like the feng shui of it too.

It doesn't make sense to trade RNH for Larsson because you already drafted RNH instead of Larsson. It also doesn't make sense to trade Hall in the West. IT doesn't make sense to not screw the Isles or Habs who blueballed you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad