ATD: Rules - Discussion - Trades Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm flying today. It's a two hour flight, so I should be good.

However, if I spend six hours on the tarmac or you hear about a crash on a Denver to Reno flight, press on.

• Haha
Reactions: Ben Grimm

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm flying today. It's a two hour flight, so I should be good.

However, if I spend six hours on the tarmac or you hear about a crash on a Denver to Reno flight, press on.
A+ airport

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
FAVORITE PICK FROM EACH ROUND
other than mine
(in the 1st half of the draft):
Hasbro - Lawrence Taylor, OLB/Edge
91LeafsTavares91 - Bruce Smith, RDE
Holden Caulfield - Anthony Munoz, LT
Halladay - Joe Thomas, LT
Halladay - Travis Kelce, TE
Michael Farkas - Steve Largent, WR
91LeafsTavares91 - Junior Seau, MLB
GKJ - Marshall Faulk, HB
Tony Romo - Zack Martin, OG
Round 10:
LT - Brian Urlacher, MLB
Round 11:
Spintheblackcircle - Emlen Tunnell, S
Round 12:
Voight - Ozzie Newsome, TE
Round 13:
Michael Farkas - Mel Hein, C
Round 14:
Voight - Kenny Easley, SS
Round 15:
Spintheblackcircle - Ty Law, CB
Round 16:
Tony D - Art Monk, WR
Round 17:
Holden Caulfield - Andy Reid, as OC

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I PM'ed him. GKJ said if you tag someone after editing a post they won't get the notification.

Almost went Landry with my pick yesterday. Thought I'd press my luck and he'd be around next time guess not.

Yup no worries, figured that but thought I'd tag for him just in case.

I figured what the hell and got my coaching staff out of the way haha.

Just make a whole new post on the draft thread with @...

I mean, it's not like trees cut down for paper will be wasted.

Don't like polluting up the drafting thread with extra comments. Just being friendly!

Honestly I'm ok with Halladay taking his time cause I'm up after and I have no idea where I want to go with my next pick right after him. I should be looking around and seeing what positions are left to be filled by other teams, but meh I'll just sling from the hip again haha.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I PM'ed him. GKJ said if you tag someone after editing a post they won't get the notification.

Almost went Landry with my pick yesterday. Thought I'd press my luck and he'd be around next time guess not.
Tried to tell you a few times :laugh: it’s on the first page of this thread too.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Again, I don't know the exact format of how this is going to be done...but a player like Justin Jefferson doesn't really rate for me too much here. Like, he has his three years and they're very good. But if this were, say, broken out as an NFL regular season - he'd play, what 20, 25, 30% of the games?

I don't know... @VanIslander what happens in ATD if someone takes, say, McDavid in 2018 or some such? It's basically like playing a really good rookie at this level. Playing a guy that's started less than 50 games/3 full seasons at this level is tough to figure...

Reactions: Ben Grimm

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Again, I don't know the exact format of how this is going to be done...but a player like Justin Jefferson doesn't really rate for me too much here. Like, he has his three years and they're very good. But if this were, say, broken out as an NFL regular season - he'd play, what 20, 25, 30% of the games?

I don't know... @VanIslander what happens in ATD if someone takes, say, McDavid in 2018 or some such? It's basically like playing a really good rookie at this level. Playing a guy that's started less than 50 games/3 full seasons at this level is tough to figure...

For myself, I'll just be considering what they have done to date. Justin Jefferson for me is the best WR in the NFL right now. He has had a fantastic start to his career, and is starting to get the accolades necessary to be near this type of list. Hell I drafted a guy way earlier with only 6 NFL seasons. But pretend JJ's career ends right now, is he this high? I don't quite think so. Sure even 3-4 years from now if he posts 3-4 more years of 1200+ he's going to be much higher, hell I think he could climb to top 10 all-time, maybe even higher based on his start. But I don't think we should be projecting out when considering rosters.

As a sidenote, I looked back on the rules on page 1 cause I thought Tony Romo had mentioned something about this on page 1. I didn't see that, however I did notice something very odd. Twice in the rules post Tony Romo picked a player to use as an example for something that could be done. One was taking Andy Reid as an OC even though his OC cred is limited as he's mostly been a HC. Which I did. I also noticed for the out of position part he used Tyron Smith as an example for a primarily LT who could play RT. Who I also selected. Haha, I had no idea (I did see the Andy Reid one prior to the pick as I had checked that post prior to posting the selection, but not the Smith one).

Last edited:
Reactions: VanIslander and LT

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Like some other guys who have had shorter careers, it's basically betting on the elite talent they've shown is obvious even they lack the volume. I find it difficult comparing with regard to those who played in earliest years of pro football where you look at numbers and accolades and have to rely more on historical accounts against the real talent level that existed at the time.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Jefferson has been on my radar for a while, but I wasn't sure how this group would rate him.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
But pretend JJ's career ends right now, is he this high?
Not to ignore the rest, but that's exactly this exercise. Zero projection.

Which isn't to say that players can't be debated on, say, how much WWII affected them or in the NHL what the lockouts did, etc.

But taking a young player comes at a rightful cost...that said, I mean, look - we had guys like Steve Smith and Hines Ward go recently...they never had the three year peak that JJ has now. So, he has something but he has no longevity...

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time
Dec 10, 2007
Lower E. Side
distrokid.com

Not to ignore the rest, but that's exactly this exercise. Zero projection.

Which isn't to say that players can't be debated on, say, how much WWII affected them or in the NHL what the lockouts did, etc.

But taking a young player comes at a rightful cost...that said, I mean, look - we had guys like Steve Smith and Hines Ward go recently...they never had the three-year peak that JJ has now. So, he has something, but he has no longevity...
Agreed. McDavid was undrafted in the hockey ATD after 3 seasons.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
In hockey players of all-time consideration caliber after 3 years are playing pro at 18 or 19. I'm sure there's some exceptions once you dig deep historically, but I'd bet any those guys are still valued for their volume, and the exceptions are the Jimmy Carson or Rob Brown types who benefited greatly from playing with those undisputed-greats, but their careers showed out that they weren't any better than being decent depth players at best.

In football, it's a lot more likely that your best could be your first 3 seasons than it is in hockey. Jefferson is 24 now (23 last season, his birthday is in June), he started his pro-career at 21 - which is still young for football, it's also conceivable we haven't seen his best, which of course for this case doesn't have value, it only hurts him if he were to get hurt and/or drop off in later drafts. McDavid turned 21 during this third pro season (so he was 21 for half of his 4th), which clearly wasn't his best, it was either last year or 2 years ago depending on how you look at the Covid year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wanted to get after Ken Riley. For one, he played the same side of the field as Mel Blount (at the same time as him), was a bit concerned he was too far under the radar. Very strange resume. He has the numbers, and was just inducted into the Hall of Fame (took too long), but zero Pro Bowls, yet one all-pro and it was his last season.

Also was converted to corner from QB at training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad