ATD: Rules - Discussion - Trades Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Perhaps. But the common thread is super athletes with limited adaptability/scalable skills. Hockey ex. Phaneuf; Football ex. Clowney.
Clowney only has reached a certain level, far below what was expected. He also battled injuries early, but even though he went to pro bowls, I’d say he’s multiple levels down from what Jefferson has on his accomplished. I have a name that I believe fits better what you’re saying but don’t want to say it yet.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I wanted to get after Ken Riley. For one, he played the same side of the field as Mel Blount (at the same time as him), was a bit concerned he was too far under the radar. Very strange resume. He has the numbers, and was just inducted into the Hall of Fame (took too long), but zero Pro Bowls, yet one all-pro and it was his last season.

Also was converted to corner from QB at training camp.
Most underrated Corner ever. Had the bad timing to peak in an era crowded with dominant defenses. The Steel Curtain, Doomsday Defense, No Name Defense, Purple People Eaters and Orange Crush ate up the headlines.

I will say this about Madden, the Al Davis head dealt with wasn’t near as erratic as the one Tom Flores won two Super Bowls with.

Reactions: Voight and GKJ

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Clowney only has reached a certain level, far below what was expected. He also battled injuries early, but even though he went to pro bowls, I’d say he’s multiple levels down from what Jefferson has on his accomplished. I have a name that I believe fits better what you’re saying but don’t want to say it yet.
Right, yeah, this wasn't about Jefferson really. I'm quite sure he's going to be a WR for the ages. But my overarching point was that it's often a case of a player who is physically dominant that peaks early, but has little staying power later because he gets found out. They get tape on him. Other players adjust, and he doesn't.

Clowney was a 1OA. Second-Team All Pro in his first full season, a couple pro bowls thereafter. Then a journeyman by age 25 or whatever.

I'm sure there are better names, I just picked a convenient one because I was looking at some tape on him to see if he ever got any better just by happenstance today haha

Reactions: GKJ

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I will say this about Madden, the Al Davis head dealt with wasn’t near as erratic as the one Tom Flores won two Super Bowls with.
Erratic as he was, Davis was great at finding talent for both those guys. He dropped off in the late 80's and much moreso in the 2000's.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Most underrated Corner ever. Had the bad timing to peak in an era crowded with dominant defenses. The Steel Curtain, Doomsday Defense, No Name Defense, Purple People Eaters and Orange Crush ate up the headlines.

Maybe Madden was just the universal counterbalance, because Al wasn’t necessarily known to be tempered during the AFL years.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Got so excited thinking Patrick Peterson was still on the board, until my ctrl + f ruined my hopes and dreams

Ben Grimm

I can't stand the rain ☔
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I hope these backup QBs are drafted: ;)
1. Ryan Leaf
2. JaMarcus Russell
3. Akili Smith
4. Kim McQuilken
5. Heath Shuler
6. Matt Leinart
7. Frank Tripucka
8. Chris Weinke
9. David Klinger
10. Andrew Walter
11. Rick Norton
12. Joey Harrington
13. Nathan Peterman

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Is it a QB, perhaps a scrambly one? Because there's a roster construction aspect to this, of course, that will de-value much more valuable players...
Can't say more until a certain team takes a certain position.
Got'em. I've legitimately been considering Tarkenton since round 2. Obviously, the nature of this creates insane value grabs like this, but there's a good case for him to be a top 10 QB of all time and hardly anyone talks about him...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tarkenton’s big sin was playing poorly in the Super Bowls. Not helped by who he had to play, because he wouldn’t have to wear that if the roles were reversed.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Yeah, I'm not someone that gives the Superb Owl any undue respect. He has a winning record in the playoffs, so it's not like he's someone that just wilts in the postseason. That sort of dead ball era, too, was a couple of haves and a bunch of have-nots. From 1960 to 1978 (until the new pass defense rules), only five or six QBs totaled double digit TDs in the postseason or something like that...

He also didn't play a playoff game until he was 33. So, the fact that he found time to get into three (?) Superb Owls is pretty crazy in and of itself. He played over half of his career before the merger...

In fact, his post-33 year old career is quite incredible...he went 57-20, ~16000 yards, 3 pro bowls, an MVP, OPoY, led the league in TDs one season, comp% in another, yards in his last...just a real interesting career arc in general...

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, I'm not someone that gives the Superb Owl any undue respect. He has a winning record in the playoffs, so it's not like he's someone that just wilts in the postseason. That sort of dead ball era, too, was a couple of haves and a bunch of have-nots. From 1960 to 1978 (until the new pass defense rules), only five or six QBs totaled double digit TDs in the postseason or something like that...

He also didn't play a playoff game until he was 33. So, the fact that he found time to get into three (?) Superb Owls is pretty crazy in and of itself. He played over half of his career before the merger...

In fact, his post-33 year old career is quite incredible...he went 57-20, ~16000 yards, 3 pro bowls, an MVP, OPoY, led the league in TDs one season, comp% in another, yards in his last...just a real interesting career arc in general...
The way he played and the longevity he produced is incredible. He defied the rules of time when you look at his best year being at the end. The years the Vikings got to the Super Bowl were just the wrong ones compared to the ones the Cowboys won.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
One of his first coaches, a QB of single game fame in particular, publicly admonished his style in fact. When really, it was the perfect (predicted?) adaptation of the old school "I'm a running back, I'm a quarterback, I'm a scat back, I'm a kicker" QBs from the prior era...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The way he played and the longevity he produced is incredible. He defied the rules of time when you look at his best year being at the end. The years the Vikings got to the Super Bowl were just the wrong ones compared to the ones the Cowboys won.
Short even for the era too.

I mainly knew him as the host of That's Incredible and playing himself as an announcer with no color man on 1st and Ten.

Reactions: GKJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
confirmeddddddddddddddddd
1691625705835.gif

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Pretty happy with how my offence turned out. Only thing I would have done differently was do a T.O/Megatron stack. Instead of Matthews/T.O

Also, I think I am for sure gonna try and run a college football one. Think I’m gonna aim for way more than 13 teams for that one however.

Reactions: VanIslander

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Got'em. I've legitimately been considering Tarkenton since round 2. Obviously, the nature of this creates insane value grabs like this, but there's a good case for him to be a top 10 QB of all time and hardly anyone talks about him...
I assumed he was talking about Otto Graham not Tarkenton. Graham is generally ranked higher.

About time Isaac Bruce went, can't believe Justin Jefferson went before him. Bruce would've been a fine pick back when Holt went.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I assumed he was talking about Otto Graham not Tarkenton. Graham is generally ranked higher.

About time Isaac Bruce went, can't believe Justin Jefferson went before him. Bruce would've been a fine pick back when Holt went.
Thought about Otto. It's just QBs and TEs are the positions that have really changed the most over time.

I mean you think Don Hutson would still be great while getting thrown to more and with modern conditioning.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad