Euro: Round of 16 - France v. Belgium - Jul. 1

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Barely drew?
Let's not rewrite history. Poland getting a point of that match was a joke.
I am in no way confident because we have shown pretty much nothing offensively.
But the Poland game was clearly a FM type of game.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
A sleeping giant who could wake up at any moment against the most overrated team in the history of football. I think I know how this will end.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Barely drew?
Let's not rewrite history. Poland getting a point of that match was a joke.
I am in no way confident because we have shown pretty much nothing offensively.
But the Poland game was clearly a FM type of game.
Again I’m not watching but you did barely draw considering you haven’t scored a goal from open play and needed a penalty. Remove the word barely and my post remains the same. This isn’t going to be a cake walk unless France wake up are you confident this will happen next game?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Again I’m not watching but you did barely draw considering you haven’t scored a goal from open play and needed a penalty. Remove the word barely and my post remains the same. This isn’t going to be a cake walk unless France wake up are you confident this will happen next game?
As I said I'm hardly confident.
But the Poland game was ridiculous. France had plenty of chances and Poland had once.
They had to get gifted a pen by Upa and VAR and even had to take it twice and cheat twice while shooting it to tie the game.
It was totally vintage FM.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Belgium has been every bit as inept offensively in this tournament as France (Perhaps you can say they've been unfortunate to have a few goals call back due to borderline offside calls, but the point remains.)

I picture France winning this one 1-0. The problem with France going forward in this tournament is that I don’t think their issues are fixable. Griezzman, who was either the best or the second-best French player of the past 10 years, looks like Father Time has him bent over a table and is about to have his way with him, he’s washed. As for Mbappé, even before he had his schnoz rocked, wasn’t physically at the top of his game, let’s just say I don’t expect him to hit WC2022 level, not even close.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The problem with France is tactical and directly on Mbappe's shoulders.
Mbappe doesn't defend on the wing yet can't play the 9 decently. It was the same problem with PSG this year.
In the first game, DD put Thuram at 9 who covered the wing defensively. It lacked balance.
Mbappe never calls the ball behind the D which is a huge problem for a 9.
He wants the ball to his feet and dribble through everyone. That might work on the wing which is why he fled there during the game, stepping on Barcola's toes in the 3rd game.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The problem with France is tactical and directly on Mbappe's shoulders.
Mbappe doesn't defend on the wing yet can't play the 9 decently. It was the same problem with PSG this year.
In the first game, DD put Thuram at 9 who covered the wing defensively. It lacked balance.
Mbappe never calls the ball behind the D which is a huge problem for a 9.
He wants the ball to his feet and dribble through everyone. That might work on the wing which is why he fled there during the game, stepping on Barcola's toes in the 3rd game.
Carlo will fix him ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Griezmann was good at Atleti this year because he was played in a number 9 position with limited defensive responsibility. I think he's done in midfield.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
France has underperformed and I think they are the more likely side to take things up a notch. Belgium hasn't underperformed, they are just not that great anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad