GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I liked this entire draft for us. You could tell the mission was to get bigger, faster and better on defense in 3-5 years. Sure, probably only 2 guys will stuck with the big club, but I like the chances of that happening.

Last edited:

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I liked this entire draft for us. You could tell the mission was to get bigger, faster and better on defense in 3-5 years. Sure, probably only 2 guys will stuck with the big club, but I like the chances of that happening.
And I love that they drafted a goalie to develop
They need to do that every year and establish a pipeline
If they could develop goalies the way the Guardians develop pitching this team would be a consistent winner

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
welp I think we know what deal Waddell was taking if Lindstrom was gone. Wonder what the whole deal would have been. My guess would be 4th for Necas and their first.
That would have been heartbreaking. I'm glad that we didn't get to see that.

I guess this means that Columbus' Russian scouting is significantly diminished after 2022.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
That would have been heartbreaking. I'm glad that we didn't get to see that.

I guess this means that Columbus' Russian scouting is significantly diminished after 2022.
Waddell is going to bring in his own scouts (probably) and he wasn't shy at all in Carolina in picking them. I'm sure itll be fine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
welp I think we know what deal Waddell was taking if Lindstrom was gone. Wonder what the whole deal would have been. My guess would be 4th for Necas and their first.

I think it might have been tied in with the Flyers talks.

There were also rumors that the Sabres were dangling the 11th for Necas, and I don't think Necas has the value to get the 4th, even with a plus. I would be upset if he did.

So I'm wonder if we would have traded the 4th for the 12th + 2 late 1sts, and then traded the 12th and maybe a smaller plus for Necas.

It's hard for me to conclude that, it could be that we have consultants there that we trust, and maybe they were the ones who weren't as high on Demidov.

Reactions: LJ7

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
It's hard for me to conclude that, it could be that we have consultants there that we trust, and maybe they were the ones who weren't as high on Demidov.
I say that since, before the draft, Timmins had mentioned that they had only seen Demidov on video and that the on-ice stuff was the most important part.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
More info on Marrelli for you.

He's certainly not someone that I would label as "flashy." However, he's very intelligent. He's also quite mobile. A strong four way mover, he's able to buy a lot of time for himself to allow the ice to open up in front of him. His patience/poise with the puck is one of his best assets. Marrelli is also a sound defensive presence. I wish he were a little tougher to play against below the goal line, but his reach and mobility give him good upside as a pro defender in some capacity.
This description aligns well with what I thought of his performance in the video below (first time watching his game). He reminds me of another CBJ D prospect Svozil in some ways, both high-IQ defenders with excellent poise and more or less average toolsets. Svozil might be a bit more effective at defending rushes while Marrelli is maybe little more skilled stickhandler and skater. I don't think Svozil will be a regular at NHL level before he shows more explosiveness and higher compete level in D zone, perhaps Marrelli should have similar development goals for the rest of his junior career?

Reactions: majormajor

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
There's nothing wrong with the Brindley and Dumais picks.

But just about everyone we drafted last year performed well in the points models that get shared a lot. Small and slow players that lack projectable tools often look great in those models.
Yeah true. Could be that Don thought they could use more adv analytics in areas outside points

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I apologize if this was discussed earlier in the thread. Reading AP's Sunday Gathering article which mentions that Pierre Lebrun reported the Blackhawks made an offer for our #4OA pick. According to the article they offered us next year's first rounder (unprotected) and next year's second rounder.

I feel like there has to be something missing from that...right? That seems like an incredibly insulting and disrespectful trade offer. I mean...Waddell has to just hang up on them...right?

Reactions: Xoggz22

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
@Viqsi - You stated you thought Pronman was Bat S*** Crazy (I presume) because he projected Demidov at #8 while most of the other scouts projected him #2 while some had him #3. Demidov fell to #5 in the draft. Last time I checked my math homework #2 and #8 are equally distant from #5.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Yeah true. Could be that Don thought they could use more adv analytics in areas outside points

Advanced analytics could mean a lot of things and new techniques are constantly developed. If you build models that include height as well as scoring in the algorithm for likelihood to become NHLers, you likely get a different outcome than if you just include scoring. You also have computing power that can pick up all sorts of information from video (acceleration, shot speed, etc) now. Run old tapes through the programs and include that data in likelihood to make it to the NHL models. I bet the best analytics departments in the NHL are wild. Maybe Waddell looked at our team and thinks they are a few years behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad