Prospect Info: Round 7, 199th overall: Matteo Mann, RHD, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
EP gave him 3.5/9 for skating. No bueno according to them.
I don’t know. I’ve watched some of his games and saw that some scouts pegged him within the top 100 at the tail end of the year or even late 2022. Most list his skating as one of his better attributes. Obviously his size and physicality is what makes him stand out, but diving below the bad numbers and stuff, the scouts love his skating. I’m not a big fan, but if he turns out then it’s a job well done

Pablo Sanchez

The Secret Weapon
Oct 17, 2011
Nj
Great name and I’m sure he’ll be a great enforcer.

“Hey Matteo, one of the customers is getting a little too handsy with Chastity again. Go handle him.”

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
My non-expert opinion: if you finish 9th in D scoring on your own bad QMJHL team, in your third year in the league, the future probably isn’t bright.

What on earth.

I was making fun of the Canucks for an overager USHL scoring profile earlier. That was worse because it was round 4, but I had to think.

(It's a 7th rounder. You're taking shots. I get it. Relax. Not you.)

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
fine for a 7th rounder. was projected a lot earlier. course that has a lot to do with being a 6'6 RHD.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What on earth.

I was making fun of the Canucks for an overager USHL scoring profile earlier. That was worse because it was round 4, but I had to think.

(It's a 7th rounder. You're taking shots. I get it. Relax. Not you.)

It isn't easy for me to care about a 7th rounder much less proclaim it wasted, but on God, Flahr has managed it and done so clearly

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
It must've been a favour thing. His dad works for the Sens. He's a giant crosschecking monster from a few clips I saw. They will bring him in camp so there is someone that Ginning and Deslauriers can beat in a skating drill.

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
It’s the seventh round, people, not the third. Finding prospects who have merely one redeeming quality or modestly developed skill is good enough.

Reactions: renberg

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
I don't think they've done that and I don't think they even tried. That's the problem.
You posted his skater ratings, where the various rating agencies as summarized by EP had him going anywhere from the end of the third through the early sixth round. You even added that you felt he might not be without skill. I wrote that in the seventh round, finding someone with one refined skill or quality was enough to justify the selection. They were able to select him well beyond where he was projected to go. What’s this problem you’re claiming exists with this pick?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You posted his skater ratings, where the various rating agencies as summarized by EP had him going anywhere from the end of the third through the early sixth round. You even added that you felt he might not be without skill. I wrote that in the seventh round, finding someone with one refined skill or quality was enough to justify the selection. They were able to select him well beyond where he was projected to go. What’s this problem you’re claiming exists with this pick?

I dug deeper and he sucked ass. There were teammates that outperformed him. Take one of them instead. This is a pure size pick, and an egregiously lazy one at that.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
He could be simply getting his ranking because of size, position, and handedness.

I'm not sure if anyone here has invested any time in reviewing his play, but he doesn't appear to be a player worth looking at. I'd guess that most defensive defensemen drafted from the CHL seem to show at least a little offensive ability, unlike Mann. It's just a long shot bet on a profile that doesn't seem to show up in the NHL anymore

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Only positive I can think of is at least he wasn’t taken in the middle of the draft. See Klotz and Ghoulborne.
Maybe he’s someone’s cousin or nephew in the front office. Not that they would ever do that.
His dad is Asst GM in Ottawa. He looks like Oglethorpe in his draft photo, but he's a big softee. That said, I wish him well in his career as a chef.

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
Going off previous CHL Dmen drafted and their profiles statistically...

the odds of him making the NHL are basically 0.00%.

If he has "solid" development he might be a good ECHLer or depth AHLer.
What statistical profiles or profiles, statistically?

Between 2009 and 2018, 119 defensemen were drafted in the 7th round; 37 were from the CHL while 65 were not. Of those 37, six played in at least one game and three played in at least 82 games (Weeger, Middleton, Burroughs). Of all the 302 players selected in the 7th round in that period at any position, 21 have played at least one game in the NHL and only eight have played at least 82 games.

So yes, the odds of him making the NHL are indeed are basically zero, but that’s because he’s a seventh round pick not because he is a QMJHL defenseman (of any profile). If he turns into an ECHL or AHL defensemen for the organization, then that’s a positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad