Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I just cant see Danny telling Torts Michkov needs to be on the team going well. Matvei is gonna have bigger than the team energy...I cant see Torts buying into that.

And make no mistake, early "tough love" treatment and snide comments from Torts will attach a stigma to the kid that will turn the authentics on him in a second.
I see it the other way around. MM is the future hope for the club. He has to hit. Getting him at seven could make up for the mistake of Patrick at 2. MM is the start of the rebuild.
If Torts starts getting in the way of MM becoming a star player in the league, he's going to get a kick worse than the one that the horse gave him. Briere is not going to tolerate it and Jones/Hilferty will back him. The Gang of Three need MM to be the big deal or their jobs will be on the line as well.

Reactions: BernieParent

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I see it the other way around. MM is the future hope for the club. He has to hit. Getting him at seven could make up for the mistake of Patrick at 2. MM is the start of the rebuild.
If Torts starts getting in the way of MM becoming a star player in the league, he's going to get a kick worse than the one that the horse gave him. Briere is not going to tolerate it and Jones/Hilferty will back him. The Gang of Three need MM to be the big deal or their jobs will be on the line as well.

Everything can happen of course, but I'd say Michkov is Torts' kind of a player. He always plays at 100+%, never slacks or gives up. It's exactly what Torts wants from his players.

This almost guarantees we sign a veteran Russian to help him adjust… unless Zamula is filling that role?

Buchnevich would be great. Good player and can help Michkov with getting used to the league. He can even play center. Say, Farabee for Buch.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
We got lucky they have no cap space. They will need to keep a lot of space for Michkov. They really need to draft well here. Let’s say they hit at 99%tile it’s likely a cup

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
if they were smart..they'd trade Scotty and TK and get younger
trading Laughton is simple and straightforward...despite him being pushed for trades for year by the board, he basically has the exact same trade value this seasons as he always did. No? And he'll be traded this year.

Trading TK is a higher-level manoeuvre. At this time, no-one can clearly say whether it is better to move on frm TK, or not. Because it is salary dependant and capability dependant.

I wish Hart was still playing, in which case it would be easier to decide. Losing his goalkeeping ability is a big loss.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
trading Laughton is simple and straightforward...despite him being pushed for trades for year by the board, he basically has the exact same trade value this seasons as he always did. No? And he'll be traded this year.

Trading TK is a higher-level manoeuvre. At this time, no-one can clearly say whether it is better to move on frm TK, or not. Because it is salary dependant and capability dependant.

I wish Hart was still playing, in which case it would be easier to decide. Losing his goalkeeping ability is a big loss.

Lol Laughton is not being traded this year

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There's only honor in selecting top 5-10 if you trade up. What you lose in assets, you gain in pride and character.

The time to take a step back was this year, when Michkov was in the KHL (presumably for another year or two). The Flyers response was to compete for the playoffs and not really sell. I’d be floored if their response to Michkov coming over early is to trade their best player. The good news is Alex Bump is pushing his way into high end prospect territory.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There's only honor in selecting top 5-10 if you trade up. What you lose in assets, you gain in pride and character.

The time to take a step back was this year, when Michkov was in the KHL (presumably for another year or two). The Flyers response was to compete for the playoffs and not really sell. I’d be floored if their response to Michkov coming over early is to trade their best player. The good news is Alex Bump is pushing his way into high end prospect territory.

This was plainly obvious on draft day. The simplest and clearest path and they couldn't manage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad