Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Michkov is so intriguing because, aside from his lacrosse goals and occasional clever move, I find his highlights relatively… unspectacular? He isn’t a Demidov-style dangler, he doesn’t wire the puck like Bedard, he doesn’t burn people like Cooley.

He’s just always involved on the puck and creates an insane number of chances by being “there” and tenaciously chasing chances.

Much more of a Crosby style attacker than anyone else. I know this is what we call “hockey IQ” and “hockey sense”… it’s just remarkable that a player can be so prolific without necessarily scoring elite marks on the more visible skills. Will be fascinating to see what he can turn into.

From tuning into his games this season, I'd never have known that he possesses the lethal shot he'd shown during his pre-draft years. The best D+1 season in the KHL came almost entirely off the hockey IQ you mention. I can only imagine what it would have looked like if his shot caught up to speed, let alone if his teammates could better set him up and/or finishes his chances.

I remember in this thread way back I mentioned that Crosby was ironically a much better comparable for Michkov than the oft-cited "Best Russian prospect since Ovechkin." A playmaking genius who is somehow still liable to score 40+ goals.

Reactions: Boocowski

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
The WOAT.

Imagine being someone who is paid to cover a sport's team and trying to stop people from being excited about something happening with that sport's team.

Like WTF is the thought process to this article? You have some people who have barely paid any attention Flyers games for a couple years (or more), now interested because of Michkov coming over. That should be a positive boon for selling papers (subscriptions) to covering the sport.

Reactions: swami24

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
From tuning into his games this season, I'd never have known that he possesses the lethal shot he'd shown during his pre-draft years. The best D+1 season in the KHL came almost entirely off the hockey IQ you mention. I can only imagine what it would have looked like if his shot caught up to speed, let alone if his teammates could better set him up and/or finishes his chances.

I remember in this thread way back I mentioned that Crosby was ironically a much better comparable for Michkov than the oft-cited "Best Russian prospect since Ovechkin." A playmaking genius who is somehow still liable to score 40+ goals.
I think he's more Crosby than Ovi, that's a fair comparison. He's probably more Kaprizov than Ovi if you want to stay Russian.
The best comparable might be Bedard, so the expectations of what he can bring right away can be found in how Bedard's first season with Chicago went. They didn't exactly move into first place did they.
McDavid is 27 years old and playing in his first cup final. Michkov isn't McDavid, that's not what I'm saying, but a cup might be 8 years away or more.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Imagine being someone who is paid to cover a sport's team and trying to stop people from being excited about something happening with that sport's team.

Like WTF is the thought process to this article? You have some people who have barely paid any attention Flyers games for a couple years (or more), now interested because of Michkov coming over. That should be a positive boon for selling papers (subscriptions) to covering the sport.

It's Mike's thing. He jokingly makes fun of it every now and then but this is literally why he is around. He gets people to try and click the article and even potentially pay for it. He is like the Marcus Hayes who does the same thing for the Eagles.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I think he's more Crosby than Ovi, that's a fair comparison. He's probably more Kaprizov than Ovi if you want to stay Russian.
The best comparable might be Bedard, so the expectations of what he can bring right away can be found in how Bedard's first season with Chicago went. They didn't exactly move into first place did they.
McDavid is 27 years old and playing in his first cup final. Michkov isn't McDavid, that's not what I'm saying, but a cup might be 8 years away or more.

Took 14 years for Ovi to get a Cup. Took MacKinnon 9 years.

Of course, it's not just "their" Cup, it takes an entire team around them. But I agree with your point. The Flyers are probably close to a decade away from winning a Cup if they can keep building this thing up with strong drafting and smart transactions.

I'm really excited to see what they will do at the draft.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I do hope that people don't get overly caught up on point totals and such immediately. Their impossibly broken PP is going to crimp those as we know. And of course it takes time to adapt and develop your game.

All I want from Year 1 is for his strengths to look high end for the NHL. That's a high bar in and of itself.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I do hope that people don't get overly caught up on point totals and such immediately. Their impossibly broken PP is going to crimp those as we know. And of course it takes time to adapt and develop your game.

All I want from Year 1 is for his strengths to look high end for the NHL. That's a high bar in and of itself.

Even Bedard this year. Obviously he flashed the high end offensive skill & that reflected in his point totals as well as even underlying offensive numbers. But the next step for him next year & beyond you’d hope to see noticeable improvement in driving play & winning more of his 5v5 matchups which he didn’t really do well this year.

I have no doubts he’ll get there over time but it shows even with him probably winning the Calder probably comfortably. There’s still a lot to go in his game & its not easy playing your first year in the NHL as a teenager when you’re looking at things through a lens of overall effectiveness.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Marek and Friedman on TJMS:

- Marek says the Flyers are going to need to work some salary cap magic and work the visa issue out

- Friedman doesn't think he'll make it to Development Camp

- One of those situations where the more noise there is, the harder it is to do.

- They also compared the Russian players vs NCAA players and wonder if this situation thaws the "Russian Factor" at all. Russian players always come over to play.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

sadly there are gonna be people out in Flyerland expecting 90 points or something

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Michkov is the one to awaken Cates' hidden offensive talent.
You're all looking at this the wrong way. The Godking Emporer's goal isn't going to be to have Michkov unlock offensive potential in his teammates, but to have his teammates unlock the DEFENSIVE potential in Michkov.

"In the KHL, there's lots of looping and swinging, and speed. I already know a couple of things that we're going to have to work on with Michkov to get him ready to play the North American style of game" - Armstrong

"[Lyksell] wants to play a possession game and turn back with the puck at times. It was a habit that he had to break" - Flahr

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
You're all looking at this the wrong way. The Godking Emporer's goal isn't going to be to have Michkov unlock offensive potential in his teammates, but to have his teammates unlock the DEFENSIVE potential in Michkov.

"In the KHL, there's lots of looping and swinging, and speed. I already know a couple of things that we're going to have to work on with Michkov to get him ready to play the North American style of game" - Armstrong

"[Lyksell] wants to play a possession game and turn back with the puck at times. It was a habit that he had to break" - Flahr
We all know defense wins championships. Can't play defense when you're always possessing the puck now, can you?

• Haha
Reactions: DancingPanther
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad