Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I have no attachment to “consensus”, but it’s really easy to scoff at the consensus in hindsight when it’s wrong. Taking Makar or Pettersson ahead of Patrick would be like taking, say, Luchanko ahead of Catton this year. Maybe it works out! But how many people would have the balls to make a pick with that type of conviction without the benefit of hindsight?

I say that as someone who made several posts in spring 2017 to the effect of “I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the best player in the draft is someone not named Hischier or Patrick”. I remember arguing with people who thought taking anyone else was simply unthinkable (though it was Vilardi who I liked a lot that year). I wouldn’t have had the conviction to step out on such a limb though, and I doubt many people — if anyone — would have.

The reality is that “the field” is a better bet than almost any single player. But you don’t get to draft the field. With all the information available at the time, Patrick was the best bet. It failed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry44

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
The scouts wanted Bobby Sanguinetti too. This works both ways.
A joke, my man.

vkbfsVHULOyR2.gif

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I have heard everyone in the room wanted someone different at this point. I‘m convinced that they couldn‘t agree on one, and simply went with the safe choice that the rest of the hockey world thought should be taken there.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
If we had drafted Makar in 2017 there is a butterfly effect especially with who we drafted because Makar probably elevates them and they have slightly lower draft picks. Who knows who we would’ve drafted. It’s a fruitless exercise.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would rather have Boldy or Harley over Caufield (Although I don't blame them for taking York over Harley).
Boldy was already off the board. Caufield was the no brainer pick and while he may not be a superstar he's been one of the most productive players of that draft to date and I'd wagee he'll continue to improve over the next few years.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Michkov said he has a good relationship with Rotenberg. Also he doesn't pay attention at the rumors about where he will play next season.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Boldy was already off the board. Caufield was the no brainer pick and while he may not be a superstar he's been one of the most productive players of that draft to date and I'd wagee he'll continue to improve over the next few years.
Boldy was selected 12, Flyers traded from 11 to 14 to pick up another second. They could have, and should have drafted Boldy at 11, and never traded for Braun.

But yes I also agree that Caufield should have been the pick at 14. And I also had Harley over York at the time of the draft.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Boldy was selected 12, Flyers traded from 11 to 14 to pick up another second. They could have, and should have drafted Boldy at 11, and never traded for Braun.

But yes I also agree that Caufield should have been the pick at 14. And I also had Harley over York at the time of the draft.
Oh crap I forgot they traded back. I would say I think at the time (and now) picking either Caufield or Boldy would have been fine at 11. Arguments for either one being better now or long term for sure, but both would have been good picks at 11.

I honestly don't remember my thoughts on Harley or York from 2019 because I was not expecting either of them to the pick. My response was probably more being bummed about not getting Caufield or someone else like Newhook or Krebs.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Oh crap I forgot they traded back. I would say I think at the time (and now) picking either Caufield or Boldy would have been fine at 11. Arguments for either one being better now or long term for sure, but both would have been good picks at 11.

I honestly don't remember my thoughts on Harley or York from 2019 because I was not expecting either of them to the pick. My response was probably more being bummed about not getting Caufield or someone else like Newhook or Krebs.
2019 was the only real year I watched prospects significantly, and I had a 12,000 word write up that I did on the top ~30 players of the draft. I remember it fairly well because of it. I watch them now, but no where like that year -- mostly I just follow the Flyers draft picks.

I'm looking at my write up now, I had Harley 17 and York 19, basically in the same group of skaters. Harley had a great skillset. I wasn't fully sold on him as a player, but it was clear he had more skill and high end potential than York.

At the time, I would have been very upset with Harley at 11 or 14, and was very upset with York. However, In 2019, I was more comfortable taking a higher-floor/lower ceiling player vs the lower-floor/higher-ceiling type player. Now, I've recognized that getting a high-end skill player who can be a top-of-the-lineup type player is difficult, so I'm more inclined to take a swing on a player you believe in.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Im not as optimistic as some that its a slam dunk that Matvei comes over this summer, but I wouldn’t be discouraged after reading that interview this morning.

I think him and Danny both clearly don’t want to rock the boat.

If he comes, I think his team is gonna play this off as “he’s family, we want him to follow his dream etc etc”

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
i think hes coming over uness the khl team gets butt hurt about something the media says.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad