Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
From what I remember, you can exceed the cap by 10% in the summer, and the summer cap includes LTIR candidates. Players cannot be placed on LTIR until the first day of the season, and a team must be cap compliant by Day 1...

So, we can go about $8-9 M over the cap because of the 10% allowance, and then put Johansen and Ellis on LTIR when the season starts to have the roster compliant, I think.
I thought you had to be cap compliant on Day 1 with the LTIR candidates included. Yu then put them on LTIR and then add salary. If my assumption is correct there is no way they can use the LTIR space during the summer. Is this correct?

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
This is where I’m at. Need 1 more 80-90 pt guy, and a #1 dman. I don’t see it
Basically this team needs a #1defenseman and center. Of course it’s a big deficiency. But they are in position to draft/develop one and sign one in the next 2 years. Along with bringing Michkov over.

Reactions: BernieParent

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I thought you had to be cap compliant on Day 1 with the LTIR candidates included. Yu then put them on LTIR and then add salary. If my assumption is correct there is no way they can use the LTIR space during the summer. Is this correct?

This article from last summer addresses some of the questions we have ...

For one, because the offseason cap ceiling is not $83.5 million, nor is it the $82.5 million of the season prior. The offseason salary cap is always next season’s ceiling plus an extra 10%. This is something that is intended to give teams some summer wiggle room

It’s a common misconception that players cannot be placed on LTIR during the offseason, but that’s not true.

A player can be placed on LTIR during the offseason, so long as the team provides a doctor’s note that states said player will still be injured at the start of the next season and for at least 10 regular season games and 24 calendar days.

LTIR relief space is not really practical for teams that already have cap space to burn, and as we noted at the outset, the Canucks still have more than $6 million on hand.

What the Canucks are going to want to do is add salary to the roster before putting anyone on LTIR. Maybe they extend Bear and Kravtsov, maybe they re-sign Kyle Burroughs, maybe they add from free agency when July 1 hits. When they get as close as possible to that $91.85 offseason cap ceiling (without crossing it), that’s the point at which they’ll want to put Pearson and/or Poolman on offseason LTIR. And then they’ll maximize their offseason salary relief, perhaps not to the full $5.25 million, but as close as possible. They can’t do that until they’re at least within Pearson+Poolman of the offseason ceiling, and they’re not there yet.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
here's a question...will MM have the same franchise saving ability as Lindros did?
I think generating excitement yes. However I think there is a misconception about "generational" talent, I don't know any that immediately elevated their team from non-playoff to Stanley Cup contender by themselves, there were always a number of good/great supporting players that were added. So getting a "generational" talent is a good step but its not the be-all-end-all.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Drafting in the middle of the first isn‘t really the place to find those kinds of players.

If the Flyers drafted Elias Petterson and David Jiricek instead of Nolan Patrick and Cutter Gauthier, we're having a different conversation these days.

That was a big part of their future to be able to draft twice in the top 5, and the organization blew it on both picks. Now, when I say blew it, I mean those players will not be playing for the Flyers, and they got zero of value in return for Patrick who is now retired, and made the best out of a bad situation with Gauthier and the verdict is out on Drysdale.

But blowing both those high picks really hurts.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

For one, because the offseason cap ceiling is not $83.5 million, nor is it the $82.5 million of the season prior. The offseason salary cap is always next season’s ceiling plus an extra 10%. This is something that is intended to give teams some summer wiggle room

It’s a common misconception that players cannot be placed on LTIR during the offseason, but that’s not true.

A player can be placed on LTIR during the offseason, so long as the team provides a doctor’s note that states said player will still be injured at the start of the next season and for at least 10 regular season games and 24 calendar days.

LTIR relief space is not really practical for teams that already have cap space to burn, and as we noted at the outset, the Canucks still have more than $6 million on hand.

What the Canucks are going to want to do is add salary to the roster before putting anyone on LTIR. Maybe they extend Bear and Kravtsov, maybe they re-sign Kyle Burroughs, maybe they add from free agency when July 1 hits. When they get as close as possible to that $91.85 offseason cap ceiling (without crossing it), that’s the point at which they’ll want to put Pearson and/or Poolman on offseason LTIR. And then they’ll maximize their offseason salary relief, perhaps not to the full $5.25 million, but as close as possible. They can’t do that until they’re at least within Pearson+Poolman of the offseason ceiling, and they’re not there yet.

So what do you anticipate us doing for LTIR purposes? / how much do you see us having in terms of cap space?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
here's a question...will MM have the same franchise saving ability as Lindros did?
It will probably help them to make the playoffs with some regularity and to sell more tickets. It will make the business more profitable in other words. Not sure that it really required much saving beyond that TBH from a business perspective. This isn't Phoenix.

Will it make them contenders? Well no, ofc not by itself but it will get some positive juju going. It will be a big piece but they need to surround it with something good too and that's the hard part. They have Sanheim and some other decent players so they aren't starting from the absolute lows that some teams start this process either. So that helps maybe but only if they manage it right and replace the mass of dead cap space slop with something that's actually good at hockey.

Whether mgmt is up to the task is the real question. No idea but Briere seems ok at least so far. Better than the last guy that's for sure. Time will tell if they waste this opportunity with an elite player (again).

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
So what do you anticipate us doing for LTIR purposes? / how much do you see us having in terms of cap space?

Good question.

First I think Atkinson is a goner one way or another. Probably through buyout, as I doubt he has any trade value. That would mean a $2.36 cap hit this season (cap gain of $3.52M) and $1.75M next year (cap loss of $1.75M because his contract would be done if not for the buyout).

So if they buy him out, that gives the team about $4M in cap space ($3.52M from the buyout, and the current $500K of space).

Ellis and Johansen together take up $10.25M.

Assuming Johansen is headed for LTIR at some point, that leaves 11 forwards under contract. If you add Michkov, there's your 12, and he will only count about $985K on the cap.

I feel like they will acquire at least one forward in the summer and move one or more out.

Right now there's 5 defensemen under contract (Sanheim, York, Drysdale, Seeler, Risto), and one RFA in Zamula. If they re-sign him, there's your starting 6 barring a move on defense.

Goaltending is set.

So, I honestly don't know how different the lineup will be given what they have signed. That will require moves, and perhaps Farabee is the asset they use to acquire a C?

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019

If a team puts a player on ltir in the offseason, he must be activated at the start of the season, At which time the team must be cap compliant. So placing a player on ltir in the offseason only moves the hard decision to opening day.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Good question.

First I think Atkinson is a goner one way or another. Probably through buyout, as I doubt he has any trade value. That would mean a $2.36 cap hit this season (cap gain of $3.52M) and $1.75M next year (cap loss of $1.75M because his contract would be done if not for the buyout).

So if they buy him out, that gives the team about $4M in cap space ($3.52M from the buyout, and the current $500K of space).

Assuming Johansen is headed for LTIR at some point, that leaves 11 forwards under contract. If you add Michkov, there's your 12, and he will only count about $985K on the cap.

I feel like they will acquire at least one forward in the summer and move one or more out.

Right now there's 5 defensemen under contract (Sanheim, York, Drysdale, Seeler, Risto), and one RFA in Zamula. If they re-sign him, there's your starting 6 barring a move on defense.

Goaltending is set.

So, I honestly don't know how different the lineup will be given what they have signed. That will require moves, and perhaps Farabee is the asset they use to acquire a C?
I'm not a huge fan of buyouts and extending the pain but those are favorable numbers for Atkinson. 1.75 next season is not ideal but still pretty low with a rising cap. I guess I'd be ok with it but only if they don't blow it on try hard slop and you know they will want to.

So what's the Johansen 'injury'? That whole situation is bizarre.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
If the Flyers drafted Elias Petterson and David Jiricek instead of Nolan Patrick and Cutter Gauthier, we're having a different conversation these days.

That was a big part of their future to be able to draft twice in the top 5, and the organization blew it on both picks. Now, when I say blew it, I mean those players will not be playing for the Flyers, and they got zero of value in return for Patrick who is now retired, and made the best out of a bad situation with Gauthier and the verdict is out on Drysdale.

This is a bit too 'hindsight is 20/20,' that is, 'if the King had a vagina, he'd be Queen.' The Patrick pick was fine, they had no idea that Patrick would end up permanently disabled by concussions.

The Flyers' role in putting him back into the lineup too soon after a few of his concussions is fair game. Same for Gauthier. We were all skeptical about him when picked, but he was developing well and turned out to be a good pick. Again, the handling of his expectations/entitlements is an issue, that doesn't make him a bad pick. The only competition for Gauthier at 5 was really Jiricek or Korchinski, so the league as a whole seems to have gotten it right. Firkus and Hutson might be top 15 picks in retrospect, but otherwise not bad.

Same for Patrick. He was the big stud C every team needs. Heiskanen just outplayed Makar, will he do the same with Ekholm in the West Final? Dallas could win the Cup based on getting Miro, Oettinger and Robertson in the top 39 in 2017. In '21 they got Johnston (23), Stankoven (47) after the Flyers took Tuomaala, and Grushnikov at 48 (traded for Tanev). Great drafting but they don't do well in later rounds and only got two lineup players out of the '18, '19 and '20 drafts.

This should be a cautionary tale for Flyer fans. The players the drafted last year and this year won't really be ready to lead us to a Cup final for 5-7 years. It's not a two year rebuild.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Remember that they’re carrying three and a half hit on the miserable Hayes transactions for two more years. Add into that the Peterson, Ellis and RyJo situations and the impact on options get limited. Although it would be difficult, the best path might be to take the hits this year and be done with them rather than kicking the can down the road and carrying them out further where the get in the way future operations.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I'm not a huge fan of buyouts and extending the pain but those are favorable numbers for Atkinson. 1.75 next season is not ideal but still pretty low with a rising cap. I guess I'd be ok with it but only if they don't blow it on try hard slop and you know they will want to.

So what's the Johansen 'injury'? That whole situation is bizarre.

Yeah I'd rather not buy him out if they aren't going to use the extra cap space (wisely). If they have no plans to make big changes (or the right opportunities aren't there), then I'd just keep him for one more year and be done with it.

For Johansen, it's very simple.

He played 63 games in Colorado (13g, 10a). From some reports I've read, he did not find a fit on the team.

He's traded to Philly on March 6th. The Flyers waived him and assigned him to LHV.

On March 7th, Briere says

“We will see if we can give him the chance to go somewhere else,” said Briere. “We haven’t decided what the future looks like for him yet. … We’re trying to see if there’s something we can do. Maybe there’s another team that has a need for him, but we’ve asked him to stand pat for a day or two.”​
When asked why Johansen doesn’t fit, Briere was cryptic to say the least.​
“I can’t really go into that at this point. We just have a different vision at this point, so that’s about all I can say. Maybe eventually I’ll be able to expand a little bit more.”​

On March 17th, Johansen was back on the Flyers roster, and Briere had this to say

The AHL transactions page shows that Johansen was registered as a Phantoms player on March 7, but has since resurfaced on the Flyers roster and has been listed as a scratch for recent games. So, what is actually going on with Johansen?​
“He claimed to be injured when we traded for him, so we had him see the doctors,” Flyers general manager Danny Briere told Philly Hockey Now in a phone interview. “They found an injury, so now he’s going to be rehabbing. You can’t send down a player who’s injured, so he’s going to be doing rehab until… we don’t know when.​
“That’s about all I can say at this time, or all that I have. So, he’s back on our roster doing rehab and trying to get better.”​

Then by April 20th, Briere says he doesn't expect Ryan Johansen back and that '[Johansen] doesn't think he can play hockey.'

It might really be a career-ending injury, but I don't buy it. It just sounds like a guy who doesn't want to ride buses.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Remember that they’re carrying three and a half hit on the miserable Hayes transactions for two more years. Add into that the Peterson, Ellis and RyJo situations and the impact on options get limited. Although it would be difficult, the best path might be to take the hits this year and be done with them rather than kicking the can down the road and carrying them out further where the get in the way future operations.
Ellis and RyJo can be LTIR'd though so you wouldn't really buy them out. You kind of need to evaluate them individually. Atkinson as mentioned you could buyout and they have a ton of RWs. Some that can even play.

Generally though I agree take the one year hit when you aren't winning anything anyway and that seemed to be Briere's basic plan as he attempts to retool. I don't think MM changes that calculation. The team still needs inexpensive patches in the near term while it retools and gets out from under the dead space. Even buying out Atkinson doesn't really change things much, it just adds a little flexibility this offseason so they can field a (mediocre) team.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Yeah I'd rather not buy him out if they aren't going to use the extra cap space (wisely). If they have no plans to make big changes (or the right opportunities aren't there), then I'd just keep him for one more year and be done with it.

For Johansen, it's very simple.

He played 63 games in Colorado (13g, 10a). From some reports I've read, he did not find a fit on the team.

He's traded to Philly on March 6th. The Flyers waived him and assigned him to LHV.

On March 7th, Briere says

“We will see if we can give him the chance to go somewhere else,” said Briere. “We haven’t decided what the future looks like for him yet. … We’re trying to see if there’s something we can do. Maybe there’s another team that has a need for him, but we’ve asked him to stand pat for a day or two.”​
When asked why Johansen doesn’t fit, Briere was cryptic to say the least.​
“I can’t really go into that at this point. We just have a different vision at this point, so that’s about all I can say. Maybe eventually I’ll be able to expand a little bit more.”​

On March 17th, Johansen was back on the Flyers roster, and Briere had this to say

The AHL transactions page shows that Johansen was registered as a Phantoms player on March 7, but has since resurfaced on the Flyers roster and has been listed as a scratch for recent games. So, what is actually going on with Johansen?​
“He claimed to be injured when we traded for him, so we had him see the doctors,” Flyers general manager Danny Briere told Philly Hockey Now in a phone interview. “They found an injury, so now he’s going to be rehabbing. You can’t send down a player who’s injured, so he’s going to be doing rehab until… we don’t know when.​
“That’s about all I can say at this time, or all that I have. So, he’s back on our roster doing rehab and trying to get better.”​

Then by April 20th, Briere says he doesn't expect Ryan Johansen back and that '[Johansen] doesn't think he can play hockey.'

It might really be a career-ending injury, but I don't buy it. It just sounds like a guy who doesn't want to ride buses.
Haha, that really is bizarre. I guess he gets paid either way though so he's good with that outcome. He's injured enough that he cant ride buses. Call it a lower back/sciatic nerve issue. :D Buses just don't agree with him.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
This is a bit too 'hindsight is 20/20,' that is, 'if the King had a vagina, he'd be Queen.' The Patrick pick was fine, they had no idea that Patrick would end up permanently disabled by concussions.

I'm not using hindsight to say they should have picked x or y player.

I'm just saying the end result is two blown picks that are not contributing to the Flyers. Drysdale may end up being a solid contributor.

For a team that was at that time rebuilding by being organically bad, that is two top 5 opportunities that were blown. Or maybe a better word is squandered? Lost? Unrealized?

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I'm not using hindsight to say they should have picked x or y player.

I'm just saying the end result is two blown picks that are not contributing to the Flyers. Drysdale may end up being a solid contributor.

For a team that was at that time rebuilding by being organically bad, that is two top 5 opportunities that were blown. Or maybe a better word is squandered? Lost? Unrealized?
Fair enough. No doubt the damage from the unrealized picks has hurt them. And we'll still have Drysdale and a good 2nd pick from ANA to show for Cutter. I just want to urge everyone to have some caution and patience, not directed at you. It took York 5 years to be a regular. It's going to take Michkov and the others a few years to contribute and probably 5 years to be part of a contender. Who is going to be around at that point? And if they aren't, do you deal them now and have patience?

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Good question.

Goaltending is set.

I think I’d rather stash Cal than buy him out, and get him, Tony D, and RyanJo off the books next year.

In theory, if the Flyers kind of sit on their hands this offseason, next year we’d have some money to do stuff

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Need more than just one move to save this franchise

Can we pull off a trade where we get a Desjardins and LeClair as well?
Funny thing is that LeClair was sort of a throw in when Clarke made that trade even though he did have that nice goal scoring breakout in that Montreal cup year. Montreal never really recovered for quite some time after that trade...

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

The Nolan pick was the correct pick. It was just shit, terrible luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad