Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I wouldn't go as far as saying they're horrible, but it's certainly not how I'd structure the units. My ideal units would look something like this:

Tuch
Thompson-Mittelstadt-Olofsson
Dahlin

Skinner
Quinn-Cozens-Krebs
Power

Given his performance on the PP last year, I just can't justify removing Okposo from it. Countless times he just slowed everything down and made that PP2 work.

And if Skinner is on a PP unit, he belongs in the bumper. He doesn't have the great hands nor the stability to take a beating in front of the net.

Quinn is getting the same treatment that Peterka is getting this year and that Cozens (at times) and Power did last year --- focus on ES, then get worked in on the PP.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I trust Granato to makes changes, He's an nhl coach, were not. Just dont wait too long and let this season get in the hole and throw another away.
I don't think they see it as throwing the season away. This is very likely another year of growth and development. Probably best to get comfortable with seeing Granato put some players in situations you don't like or doesn't seem conducive to winning.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
6min mark, Marek was bit surprised that the Sabres didn't take shot at Daccord. EF said he it would of sent a bad message to UPL.

EF talks about Buffalo around the 36min mark...
Anderson/Comrie
Power praise
and short Dahlin interview
Marek mentions Comrie had a lot of interest around the league.

Last edited:

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Given his performance on the PP last year, I just can't justify removing Okposo from it. Countless times he just slowed everything down and made that PP2 work.

And if Skinner is on a PP unit, he belongs in the bumper. He doesn't have the great hands nor the stability to take a beating in front of the net.

Quinn is getting the same treatment that Peterka is getting this year and that Cozens (at times) and Power did last year --- focus on ES, then get worked in on the PP.
Chipping in rebounds close to the net is something Skinner is pretty good at

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Okposo > Skinner on PP

Reactions: BFLO

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Has Donny announced lines going into Thursday? I saw the Sabres make an official post of the final roster. After the Blue Jays collapse I've turned my undivided attention to hockey so I have alot of catching up to do.

• Haha
Reactions: Team Cozens

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Has Donny announced lines going into Thursday? I saw the Sabres make an official post of the final roster. After the Blue Jays collapse I've turned my undivided attention to hockey so I have alot of catching up to do.
Nothing official, but seems damn near certain. Just insert Okoposo into Hino's spot, and you have the opening night line up. Hinostroza is the 13th forward and Bjork to the Roc?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Nothing official, but seems damn near certain. Just insert Okoposo into Hino's spot, and you have the opening night line up. Hinostroza is the 13th forward and Bjork to the Roc?

Pretty sure they sent Pilut down so Bjork stays up as the 14th F.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Not sure I like that. Actually I hate that.
They'd rather give Pilut games in Rochester than sit him in the press box. He'll get his games when injuries hit, and if Joki or Bryson aren't making a positive impact- my money is on him finding a full time spot by Dec.

I just hope they dont play Fitzgerald for his intangibles. Pilut should be the #7 defenseman in the system.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
They'd rather give Pilut games in Rochester than sit him in the press box. He'll get his games when injuries hit, and if Joki or Bryson aren't making a positive impact- my money is on him finding a full time spot by Dec.

I just hope they dont play Fitzgerald for his intangibles. Pilut should be the #7 defenseman in the system.

With Pilut only having 5 games left on his waiver exemption, they basically will have to make a roster decision once he does play games.

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021

I've accepted it, but I just don't agree. Hino has earned more than "13th Forward". 20% of scoring in pre-season in 65% of games (goals in 3 of 4). Works hard every shift, fights for pucks, and drives lines.

I can't say anything Krebs has done in pre-season (at least games) has shown me anything to put him above Hino other than being younger. He didn't beef up at all in the off season and got shoved around pretty good in games so far, and continued to be 50/50 on great vs terrible passes.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
I've accepted it, but I just don't agree. Hino has earned more than "13th Forward". 20% of scoring in pre-season in 65% of games (goals in 3 of 4). Works hard every shift, fights for pucks, and drives lines.

I can't say anything Krebs has done in pre-season (at least games) has shown me anything to put him above Hino other than being younger. He didn't beef up at all in the off season and got shoved around pretty good in games so far, and continued to be 50/50 on great vs terrible passes.
He can play up and down the lineup tho which is perfect for a 13th F

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Chipping in rebounds close to the net is something Skinner is pretty good at
Agreed, but he's not real great at deflecting pucks in the air (a la Reinhart and Vanek)........and he constantly falls over, which isn't something you want in front of the net.

Okposo > Skinner on PP
Totally agreed. That said, I don't think any NHL coach would take Skinner completely and totally off both PP units.

Not sure I like that. Actually I hate that.
I'd rather Pilut play a bunch in Rochester to re-acclimate to the NHL size rinks and then really be ready when he comes up. Remember, once he plays 5 more games, his waiver exemption expires. I'd rather him be truly ready to roll when he plays those 5 games and forces our hand.

Putting stock in NHL pre-season games is akin to putting stock in NFL pre-season games. Which is to say, fans put more stock in those games than it's worth. On any GOOD NHL team, Hino is a 13th forward. We're trying to be a good NHL team. Hino also has a lengthy history of streaky play.

Besides, Hino will get PLENTY of games. Just because he's not playing game 1 doesn't mean he's only playing 10 all year.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Hino is getting paid 1.7M dollars. Be knows what he signed up for - lead by example, play up and down the lineup when injuries occur.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Hino will play 64 games, minimum.

Between injuries and the possibility of Peterka or Quinn or Krebs being sent down for a bit, he will play 80% of the games easily.

Edit to say...80 percent of games while with us...he is the one guy who may get moved at the deadline.

Last edited:

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Agreed, but he's not real great at deflecting pucks in the air (a la Reinhart and Vanek)........and he constantly falls over, which isn't something you want in front of the net.
He's the worst passer on either of the proposed PP units and you want him on the bumper? I can't imagine a worse position for Skinner to play.

If he has to be on the PP put him near the net so he can cash in rebounds. It's the same thing he excels at 5v5.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Totally agreed. That said, I don't think any NHL coach would take Skinner completely and totally off both PP units.
But if he's bad at it why not? I don't know how much use he brought on PP in Carolina? He's good at 5v5, but you have to make the right decisions quickly on PP, and Jeff has problems with that.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I hate those lines.
I'm not a huge fan of them either, but I don't think I've ever been a fan of opening night lines. My main concern is Cozens line. Would rather spread out the veterans to each line than having such a youthful line.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm not a huge fan of them either, but I don't think I've ever been a fan of opening night lines. My main concern is Cozens line. Would rather spread out the veterans to each line than having such a youthful line.
I have concerns with Krebs and Mittlestadt in general to start the season, but I guess it just indicates that the Sabres haven't quite turned the corner and need to continue giving ice time to guys that need to develop. That would be fine if Quinn and Peterka weren't also on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad