Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Been working on a long offseason thoughts post for a while now, so here goes.
Won't quote everything, because it's huge, but well done.

Agreed on forward.

On defense and goaltending...

"If we bring back the same lineup without any additions there will be hellfire in this forum."

Yes. Very much so.

I remember the losing streaks and the injuries. Intentionally depriving yourself of external solutions, again, actually even less so than last summer, doesn't even seem possible.

Fortunately, there's a 0% chance they do nothing. They can't justify the Ben Bishop cap dance as progress 3 years straight. Money will have to be spent on NHL help, and it'll likely be short on term.

I think they add 1 dman and 1 goalie for sure. The rest is up in the air.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If Levi is him there aren't many more moves to make to make the playoffs next yr. Shore up defense with 1-2 vet dman is about all we need.

We've been insanely lucky this year with regard to injuries. I don't think we are going to see the same level of production of our top line again. It'll be good, but I don't think you'll see 3 guys put up career years again. Their pace has slowed down a bit in the second half, and that has been because teams are keying on them more. I also think there will likely be a bit of a growing pain with regards to putting some more defensive responsibilities on the forwards will slow the transition game a bit.

We are where we are at because we've been able to outscore our problems. When teams have been able slow down the offense even a bit, our record plummets.

While our goalie play HAS been bad, our goals against issue is a mix of the offense friendly system, lack of defensive awareness, and a poorly constructed roster. Even if you assume Levi is the answer here, you can't just plug and play 1 extra d-man and call it a day. There's work to be done to find the right people in the right roles.

There are a lot of trouble areas that can be improved this summer. Running it back with Levi and an extra d-man is asking to be back in this same spot next year.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Just to drive home my point from above:

It's November 2023. Dahlin and Sammy are out. Week to week.

the night's lineup:
Power-Jokiharju
Stillman-Lyubushkin
Bryson - Clague(Johnson)

Me from the future: "WAIT. WE DID NOTHING ABOUT THIS VERY CLEARLY PROBLEM AGAIN?! AND WE HAVE LIKE 12 MILLION IN CAP STILL?!"

My head might explode.

1681244253472.png

Edit: 16 million in cap.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
We've been insanely lucky this year with regard to injuries. I don't think we are going to see the same level of production of our top line again. It'll be good, but I don't think you'll see 3 guys put up career years again. Their pace has slowed down a bit in the second half, and that has been because teams are keying on them more. I also think there will likely be a bit of a growing pain with regards to putting some more defensive responsibilities on the forwards will slow the transition game a bit.

We are where we are at because we've been able to outscore our problems. When teams have been able slow down the offense even a bit, our record plummets.

While our goalie play HAS been bad, our goals against issue is a mix of the offense friendly system, lack of defensive awareness, and a poorly constructed roster. Even if you assume Levi is the answer here, you can't just plug and play 1 extra d-man and call it a day. There's work to be done to find the right people in the right roles.

There are a lot of trouble areas that can be improved this summer. Running it back with Levi and an extra d-man is asking to be back in this same spot next year.
Disagree. We easily make the playoffs if Sammy wasn't injured this year. Also Thompson is clearly hurt. The kid line next year should grow and increase their production. No reason it should go down as they mature.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Chicago and San Jose were the two teams that keep coming to mind as possible landing spots for Vic - the team gets some goals to keep things from being too terrible but they also don't get too good to outpace their rebuild. Murphy could be a guy to go after and make it into a hockey deal. Maybe someone like Matt Benning too - though Murphy seems more apt as a Power-partner at first blush, though Benning has some good defensive measures on both the Preds and Sharks. Benning wouldn't be my first choice but he's a choice.
I think Grier is rebuilding San Jose in a different direction and Olofsson is the type of player he seems to be shipping out and trying to avoid.

Also, given what Bjorkstrand returned last year, I think it is safe to say that Vic has pretty minimal value without heavy retention.

Personally I have my doubts on just how much Adams can or will retain in a Vic deal - pure speculation on my part, but the writing seems to be on the wall with the recent financial trends.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Grier is rebuilding San Jose in a different direction and Olofsson is the type of player he seems to be shipping out and trying to avoid.

Also, given what Bjorkstrand returned last year, I think it is safe to say that Vic has pretty minimal value without heavy retention.

Personally I have my doubts on just how much Adams can or will retain in a Vic deal - pure speculation on my part, but the writing seems to be on the wall with the recent financial trends.

Value is relative. I think Vic could be worth about the same as Vatrano returned to Florida. To me, that's his value, a 4th rounder.

Reactions: Irie

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

the night's lineup:
Power-Jokiharju
Stillman-Lyubushkin
Bryson - Clague(Johnson)

Me from the future: "WAIT. WE DID NOTHING ABOUT THIS VERY CLEARLY PROBLEM AGAIN?! AND WE HAVE LIKE 12 MILLION IN CAP STILL?!"

My head might explode.

View attachment 685933

I don't disagree, that's why I'd personally prefer that they get rid of Jokiharju and bring in two more top 4 pieces, I just don't think they'll do it. They likely see Joker way different than we do. Hell, I wanted to trade for Ekholm more than most and watching the Oilers now just fans the flames even more.

That being said, very few teams in the league can survive injuries to their top two defensemen.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'd be willing to part with future considerations for a team to take Vic off our hands. Hopefully we don't have to retain because I don't see Pegula being open to that.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't disagree, that's why I'd personally prefer that they get rid of Jokiharju and bring in two more top 4 pieces, I just don't think they'll do it. They likely see Joker way different than we do. Hell, I wanted to trade for Ekholm more than most and watching the Oilers now just fans the flames even more.

That being said, very few teams in the league can survive injuries to their top two defensemen.
It depends what you mean by survive. Most team don't start looking like an AHL team at best, losing 8 in a row when 2 of their top 4 go down. But I think a lot of that was because the team was still developing.

I like Joki and think they'll keep him. They just need someone else (hopefully better than him) so they don't have to rely on him so much.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Disagree. We easily make the playoffs if Sammy wasn't injured this year. Also Thompson is clearly hurt. The kid line next year should grow and increase their production. No reason it should go down as they mature.

That represents the only major injury we sustained this year. The idea that, in a vacuum, if our only major injury didn't happen, we'd clearly be a playoff team isn't realistic. Injuries are inevitable in the NHL. The issue isn't that we had injuries, the issue is we are an injury away from Kyle Clague getting top 4 minutes.

Reactions: kirby11

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Sure.

Basically 0 teams have 16 million in cap to play with though.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Mitts has earned my trust this last month. Always moving and trying. I accept him as a lesser piece of the core. I wouldn't give him big money but at the right price he is a great ~ #8 forward.

In 2024...

Tage
Tuch
Skinner
Cozens
Quinn
Peterka
Kulich
Savoie
Mitts
Krebs

Skinner will play out his deal paving the way for guys like Ostlund and Rosen. Our forwards are the deepest in the league counting roster+pipeline.

On D we need help. Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson are great but we need a true #3. And an entire revamped bottom pairing+#7 and 8s.

Dumba on a 4/28 mil deal is manageable. When you have 2 top 6 centers and your two top wingers locked up for under 29 mil you can afford deals like this. Dahlin already makes 6 so his new deal only adds 3-4 mil. Dumba is not who we thought he would be but would solidify our top 4 and give us a real top 4 RHD.

And then you can stack Power and Dahlin when you have a true top 4 D with Samuelsson

Power-Dahlin
Samuelsson-Dumba

Those forwards with a proven face off winner and PKer along with that top 4 D and Levi in net will be a force. Even if Tage is "just" a 80 point guy and Skinner and Tuch go back to 60 point players and Dahlin 60 points, when you still have Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Mitts, Savoie and Kulich you are just too deep. Remember in 05-06 we had a come back thriller regular season win, I believe Grier scored it with 10 seconds left and a Philly player said its like they got 4 #1 lines on that team...and as great as our 05-06 team was (I think best in franchise history) we have the potential to be even deeper.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I like the idea of a center spine like this:

Thompson
Cozens
Mitts
Krebs

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Quinn-Cozens-Peterka
Greenway-Mitts-XXX
Girgs-Krebs-XXX

Savoie could look nice with Greenway and Mitts. Adding a top-9 forward who is defensively responsible and has some grit would be nice.

Jost can be the 13th, or play 4th line minutes if Savoie isnt ready. Kulich will likely be a viable call-up at some point next season.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

the night's lineup:
Power-Jokiharju
Stillman-Lyubushkin
Bryson - Clague(Johnson)

My head might explode.

View attachment 685933

Don't even have to see how this ends.

Fix the f***ing defense.

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
I would give up Joker for nothing this offseason, addition by subtraction. and pick up a body on FA to give his minutes. Bryson should get oneway ticket to the Amerks too.

Reactions: DJN21

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If Adams doesn’t address top 4 D and upgrade goaltending beyond UPL and Comrie we will do the same dance next year.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Olofsson
Bryson
Joker
Clague
UPL
Comrie

get rid of them all. Use your comical amount of cap space and future assets to do what you should have done last off-season and build a f***ing team
That list is what is wrong with this team.

I would be completely fine with them acquiring 2-3 new defenseman for the 4-6 roles. Carry 8 d with Stillman and Boosh as the extras. Start Johnson in Rochester.

Dahlin and Power will likely not play every game, and we need to be equipped for that.

Jage

Oct 29, 2022
Wish they got their hands into Maccelli but that aint happening... shame really.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
My 2021-2022 Offseason chant: "Top 4 d, goalie, 4th line center"

My 2022-2023 Offseason chant: "Top 4 d, bottom 2 d, backup goalie, multiple pkers, one that's a center"

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
As others have said, jettison 78 and 71. Addition by subtraction in both cases. I can't believe Bryson, in particular, went from a serviceable 6/7 last year to "I never wanna see him play for this franchise again" status. Just absolutely useless everywhere.

I wouldn't *hate* Joker as a 3rd pairing guy, but wouldn't be super thrilled with it either. Most defensemen are gonna have some warts, but his are so glaring:
-Zero defensive zone awareness of what's going on around him
-Terrible gap control
-General refusal to play the body means he's often "there, but not there," as Marty likes to say, in terms of net-front tie-ups or boxing guys out away from the crease. Power also needs to get a lot better at this.
-Consistently prone to poor decision-making

The annoying thing is, when he's not brain-farting all over the ice, he looks like a perfectly fine top 4 option. But those good flashes are much rarer than his bad ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad