Roster Speculation part XXII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Its definitely an interesting question and topic for the expansion draft thread. But as it pertains to roster speculation for the Sabres its not relevant. There are no players (of those potentially protected) on the roster that will be playing forward instead of defense or vice versa in order to change their protection status.

In fact I can't think of many, if any, players league wide that could actually do this. The only high end player I can think of in the last several years that played forward and defense effectively and at a level worthy of protection would be Byfuglien. Usually guys that might be able to play both positions are depth guys playing lesser roles, like Des. Not someone a team would look to protect. And even in Des' case it was as an emergency fill in due to injuries not a long term thing.

Burns?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If Vesey goes else where we definitely need to bring in another forward capable of playing on the top 2 lines.

Agree. Frankly, I'd like another UFA forward regardless of Vesey's decision.

Seriously? Ennis and Girgensons can fill the top 2 LW spots and probably do better than Vesey.

The problem with not signing another forward is that you're maintaining insufficient organizational depth. If we don't sign another forward, and Vesey doesn't sign, you're left with a lineup in which Moulson and Deslauriers are presently your 11th and 12th forwards, assuming Fasching and/or Bailey don't make the roster out of camp. Alternatively, if one or both of Fasching and Bailey make the roster, Rochester is razor thin up front and your best call-up options are COR and Carrier (ugh).

For a team with playoff aspirations, that's terrible depth. They need at least one more top-9 forward who isn't presently in the organization. Fortunately, there are several guys still available who will likely be had at relative bargain prices.

We very, very don't. But we still need a 1LD.

From where I'm sitting, I don't see any LD1's on the UFA market; do you?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Barrie and Colorado settle on 4 years $5.5AAV

so where does Risto fit in?

Deal buys UFA years too. It's a good deal for the Sabres in negotiations. Barrie's offensive numbers are better. So can Ristolainen say he's worth more on the basis of his defense and higher TOI?

Maybe they can get him locked in at 6 years, 5.5 per? Would be amazing.

tim212

Apr 1, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Agree. Frankly, I'd like another UFA forward regardless of Vesey's decision.

The problem with not signing another forward is that you're maintaining insufficient organizational depth. If we don't sign another forward, and Vesey doesn't sign, you're left with a lineup in which Moulson and Deslauriers are presently your 11th and 12th forwards, assuming Fasching and/or Bailey don't make the roster out of camp. Alternatively, if one or both of Fasching and Bailey make the roster, Rochester is razor thin up front and your best call-up options are COR and Carrier (ugh).

For a team with playoff aspirations, that's terrible depth. They need at least one more top-9 forward who isn't presently in the organization. Fortunately, there are several guys still available who will likely be had at relative bargain prices.

From where I'm sitting, I don't see any LD1's on the UFA market; do you?

TERRIBLE depth? Really? Maybe Im completely ignorant, but looking at our top ten forwards, if not top 12, they stack up pretty well when compared to most teams.

They do seem to need a fourth line center though.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Let's assume no Vesey. For sake of argument, let's also assume Nylander isn't ready.

This means that we need one of Carrier/Fasching/Bailey to be ready. Ideally 2, but at least one. Let's say after training camp those young guys look like they would be better off starting in Rochester (worst case scenario).

Here are your 12 forwards.
ROR
Eichel
Reinhart
Girgensons
Larsson
Okposo
Kane
Ennis
Foligno
Gionta
Moulson
Deslauriers

so Cal O'Reilly is your 13th forward and there's no 14th (since you wouldn't keep a kid up to ride the bench)

All it takes is an injury or two to completely screw everything up. That's not great depth.

Now, if out of Vesey, Nylander, Fasching, Bailey, and Carrier, one or 2 of them can slot in opening night, we look a whole lot better. And certainly there's a very good chance that could happen.

As far as depth is concerned, the easy way to solve this while also allowing for the young kids to show they can step up is to sign a vet to a tryout contract and then evaluate during camp and preseason if we need him or not.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Deal buys UFA years too. It's a good deal for the Sabres in negotiations. Barrie's offensive numbers are better. So can Ristolainen say he's worth more on the basis of his defense and higher TOI?

Maybe they can get him locked in at 6 years, 5.5 per? Would be amazing.

Risto's agent is certainly going to point to the Seth Jones (6 years, 5.4M per), Dougie Hamilton (6 years, 5.75M per) and Aaron Ekblad's monster extension (8 years, 7.5M per)

Like Tim has said previously about Risto's contract, they know roughly the number they'll end up with, its just a matter of hammering out the details.

6 years, 32-36M is probably what we'll see. My guess is they are probably going back and forth over the final number.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Not for his current salary. If he clears and gets bought out, sure.

They're saying he's bought out now.

I'm sure there will be some interest around the league. He looked good later in that last Chicago Cup run. Not sure what happened in a year.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'd take in Vermette to fill in for that Legwand/Niedermayer role.

Looking on the Coyotes board, there are a lot of mixed feelings about the move, but everyone seems to agree that no one saw that coming. I guess he wasn't putting up much offense until Alex Tanguay started playing with him, but he's still a solid pivot on the draw and good defensively. I'm also seeing Doan wasn't happy the first time he was traded because he's one of their best leaders. He might be a perfect fit for that Legwand role.

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
Does Vermette still have any of that speed? I loved him on the Sens, though thinking back on those Senators: Alfie, Hossa, Havlat, Vermette, Fischer -- damn, what a group of forwards. And they had Chara, Phillips and Redden when Redden meant something -- how did they not get a string of Cups?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
n

Most of that point/goal production was on the PP.

Is there any realm of argument possible that Legwand holds more value lol? This seems like nitpicking at it's finest. That being said Legwand would come much cheaper you'd have to imagine so he's got that going for him...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is there any realm of argument possible that Legwand holds more value lol? This seems like nitpicking at it's finest. That being said Legwand would come much cheaper you'd have to imagine so he's got that going for him...

http://public.tableau.com/shared/3W8KK7DF8?:display_count=yes

Legwand has the edge on size and possession.

Vermette has the edge on speed and production.

Vermette was also much better on faceoffs last year.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Let's assume no Vesey. For sake of argument, let's also assume Nylander isn't ready.

This means that we need one of Carrier/Fasching/Bailey to be ready. Ideally 2, but at least one. Let's say after training camp those young guys look like they would be better off starting in Rochester (worst case scenario).

Here are your 12 forwards.
ROR
Eichel
Reinhart
Girgensons
Larsson
Okposo
Kane
Ennis
Foligno
Gionta
Moulson
Deslauriers

so Cal O'Reilly is your 13th forward and there's no 14th (since you wouldn't keep a kid up to ride the bench)

All it takes is an injury or two to completely screw everything up. That's not great depth.

Now, if out of Vesey, Nylander, Fasching, Bailey, and Carrier, one or 2 of them can slot in opening night, we look a whole lot better. And certainly there's a very good chance that could happen.

As far as depth is concerned, the easy way to solve this while also allowing for the young kids to show they can step up is to sign a vet to a tryout contract and then evaluate during camp and preseason if we need him or not.

That's 12 solid nhl players, a tweener at 13th, and 3 good prospects who may be nhl ready already behind them. That is completely normal in the nhl. Nobody calls up nhl forwards when their nhl forwards are injured.

That said, no problem with signing another tweener if it's only gonna help Rochester.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Vermette? I'd just assume re-sign Legwand for one season.

This for me as well.

Anyone questioning the Sabres depth & overall quality at forward has me questioning their own sanity.

Even if Vesey doesn't sign (I still feel people are making too big a deal about hm but will happily be proven wrong) the team is stacked up front.

The 'D' on the other hand... :shakehead And some people are OK with this - again very questionable.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
The 'D' on the other hand... :shakehead And some people are OK with this - again very questionable.

Don't think anyone is in love with it, but I'm ok riding it out and either picking up someone (longer term) at the trade deadline or waiting until after the expansion draft to swing a trade. Chances are one of Girgs or Ennis will be moved as part of it and I'd almost rather wait and see who gels better.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
This for me as well.

Anyone questioning the Sabres depth & overall quality at forward has me questioning their own sanity.

Even if Vesey doesn't sign (I still feel people are making too big a deal about hm but will happily be proven wrong) the team is stacked up front.

Don't think anyone is in love with it, but I'm ok riding it out and either picking up someone (longer term) at the trade deadline or waiting until after the expansion draft to swing a trade. Chances are one of Girgs or Ennis will be moved as part of it and I'd almost rather wait and see who gels better.

Going hand-in-hand with that thought process, if Bailey/Fasching/Carrier prove themselves that will really push TM into trade mode with Kane/Ennis/Girgensons (I hope not Girgensons) for another LHD. So if nothing happens before October, I expect 1-2 prospects do impress and a trade to happen after December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad