Roster Speculation part XXII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Much like Franson last year...he doesn't improve the team. Franson wasn't an upgrade to Bogo/Risto, Russell might be a marginal upgrade to Gorges (provides a little more offense, but doesn't drive possession)

Much rather roll with McCabe and hope he pushes Gorges down to to the bottom pair.

I sort of agree, but Russell would be a great depth signing. Either lets us bench Franson and roll a lefty-lefty 3rd pair, or lets us have a competent #7 to put in when injuries strike. Our defensive depth is pretty terrible in terms of having guys you can trust as plug-ins when any of our regulars are out of the line-up.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I sort of agree, but Russell would be a great depth signing. Either lets us bench Franson and roll a lefty-lefty 3rd pair, or lets us have a competent #7 to put in when injuries strike. Our defensive depth is pretty terrible in terms of having guys you can trust as plug-ins when any of our regulars are out of the line-up.

Agreed. My biggest beef with the depth is what happens if Risto or Bogo go down with an injury? Franson in the top 4? :help:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
A lack of cap space isn't why a Leddy/Boychuk type deal for a LHD hasn't happened yet.

The issue is that no team has traded a decent LHD for peanuts.

Maybe GMBM does it with Fowler, but I doubt it.

And signing a guy like Vermette to play 4C wouldn't impact a potential trade for Fowler. Risto's contract will.

I'm not necessarily expecting a LHD for pure cap space move a la Leddy / Boychuk but you have to admit - cap space would be a big asset in any potential deal. Fowler is a good example. Being able to take on a large amount of salary from Anaheim would be a valuable commodity within the structure of any potential trade.

Also regarding the bolded... along with strengthening / overhauling LHD the Risto extension should have been priority number one all along. It's not like they only just found about it today. It was always going to be a big deal & every move they made should have had this extension in mind. It would have been easy to accommodate IMO. Obviously I don't know what (if any) discussions happened between GMs re asking prices for certain players but it absolutely could have worked out salary wise.

Since the Okposo signing I now don't see anything like this happening unfortunately - unless they could somehow offload Kane purely for futures.. which is more than a long shot.

But I can't believe people still want to add forwards. Gotta have 'em all i guess.... :shakehead

I don't think Russell would be a good move either.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm all about signing Kris Russell if we can get him for 4 years and $3.5 million per. Beyond that, not really interested. He'd be the Jay McKee of this next generation team.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Russell and Hudler would both be good signings if they were around $2.5M-$3.5M on 1-2 yrz deals. I think the organization, and other organizations (Boston, Toronto & Chicago in particular) are waiting for the Vesey situation and Anaheim defenseman situations to play themselves out.

Bob Murray may be lucky enough to get Lindholm and/or Rakell signed to a Qualifying offer, as he suggested. If that's the case, Fowler may stay put for a year.

Depending where Vesey goes, Chicago & Buffalo could both be looking for forward help. The chance to win is in Chicago, but I'm sure the Sabres have more cap room.

But realistically I think the Sabres are going into the season with the defense they currently have, although having Russell on a 2nd pair with Bogosian, and having McCabe-Gorges as the 3rd pair would be nice.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Im really not interested in signing Russel at all. He just doesnt fit a need. He's a marginal upgrade at best over Gorges, but doesn't add any movement to the blueline.

I hate Franson as much as anyone, but at least he theoretically provides some puck movement/offense.... pushing Franson out of the lineup for another shot blocker/possession hole doesn't work for me. I'd rather have Nelson push Franson out.

The only way I would consider a Russell signing was if we moved Gorges... We can't have Gorges and Russel in the lineup.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
The difference between those "Type" of defensemen... in today's NHL... is marginal, regardless of who they are.

For me it's not the difference between Gorges & Russell. It's the difference between our 6th and 7th defensemen. With Russell, Franson becomes our 7th d-man. Currently, if Nelson isn't ready, it's what, Falk or Fedun?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
For me it's not the difference between Gorges & Russell. It's the difference between our 6th and 7th defensemen. With Russell, Franson becomes our 7th d-man. Currently, if Nelson isn't ready, it's what, Falk or Fedun?

This is true. We need another defensemen in the organization. Either we add Fowler, someone better than Falk to be 7th D, or an AHL defensemen (leaving Falk in the NHL).

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
This is true. We need another defensemen in the organization. Either we add Fowler, someone better than Falk to be 7th D, or an AHL defensemen (leaving Falk in the NHL).

Or Guhle lives up to his promise and splits games with Franson...it's not impossible that he makes the team. I'd rather Nelson before falk any day of the week.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
No to rushing Guhle.

He nearly made the team out of camp last year and his game is predicated on strengths no one on our current defense has. He had a year to grow and would be facing sheltered 3rd pairing minutes that I admittedly said he could split. It's a small sample size by far but he showed he could score in the ahl already. The only reason to hold him back at this point is if you intend to force him into the weight room to bulk up. His footwork and offensive game is already acceptable on a bottom pair at the nhl level.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Yup. Our D depth is ****. I'd gladly take a 2nd Josh Gorges. Gorges may not be great, but he is an NHL player. As our roster stands right now, we're in big trouble if we start getting injuries on the blue line.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Yup. Our D depth is ****. I'd gladly take a 2nd Josh Gorges. Gorges may not be great, but he is an NHL player. As our roster stands right now, we're in big trouble if we start getting injuries on the blue line.

A gorges-gorges pairing...yikes, my shudder shook the foundation.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I still don't think our D will improve much aside from the natural progression of Risto and McCabe, which I think will be a big determinant on how this season goes.

That said, I'd like to see Nelson too. Is he Tim's "type" of player though?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
A gorges-gorges pairing...yikes, my shudder shook the foundation.

Shrug. I'd take:
Kuli-Risto
McCabe-Bogo
Gorges-Franson
Gorges 2.0

over:

Kuli-Risto
McCabe-Bogo
Gorges-Franson
AHL player

any day of the week.

Of course, the wildcard is Nelson. He looked pretty good last year, but it wasn't much of a sample size, and he was getting easy minutes. Even if he is an able 6-7 for us next year, adding more NHL capable depth is never a bad thing. Injuries will come sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad