Roster Speculation part XXII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Which forward in the system is most ready for a long-term call up?
I would rate them as such...

Carrier- Most pro-ready IMO. Only as a 3rd or 4th liner at best, so that's partially why he's so high as well, he doesn't need to produce as much (specifically offensively).

Bailey- seems like he could be a poor man's Kane to an extent, but wint shoot as much, which might be a good thing. He was good in Rochester last half'ish of this past year, played solid in his call up, but his game could use another 40-60 games in the AHL on a top line.

Fasching- He's got size for the league and showed he could play a bit. The college schedule will limit his ability to be effective long term this season. I believe his maturity will help him though in staying focused on doing things the right way to deal with that kind of 82 game schedule.

Nylander- Raw talent. He was in junior and will likely start in Rochester or Sweden. I'd prefer Rochester, let him learn to play the game the right way on North American ice and all that, get used to angles and all the little things.

Baptiste- as the 5th right handed wing prospect, I think he'll end up as an add-in with some trade over the next 12-18months.

Chris99

Jul 5, 2016
First combination would be great if we could clone girgs :laugh:

I like:

Ennis - ROR - Okposo
Girgs - Eich - Rhino
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta
Moulson - UFA/COR - Dez

Let Bailey and Fasching develop in the A and be the first call ups

I like this lineup, although why leave out Kane?

I'd like to see how Moulson would do playing on the LW with OReilly/Okposo.

A 3rd line of Kane/Larsson/Ennis

Your 2nd line should absolutely be given a long trial period by Bylsma. Girgs skill set would mesh perfectly with Eichel/Rhino given a little time for cohesiveness.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Got me thinking....what are the rules on changing McCabe to a LW????

Then he could be protected as a forward?

Wow - that's a pretty interesting idea. Are there any rules about a guy changing positions? Like for how long or how many games? I mean, that would probably mean him playing up front down the stretch and into the playoffs, and you'd have to backfill his slot.

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
I was reading Sam Gagner was gonna get signed. Recently read he's actually decent possession wise. If we lose out on Vesey and we can move Kane, wouldn't mind bringing him in here on the wing as long as it's cheap. Solid shootout guy too. Him and Okposo on the shootout could mean a 5-6 point difference in the standings

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Wow - that's a pretty interesting idea. Are there any rules about a guy changing positions? Like for how long or how many games? I mean, that would probably mean him playing up front down the stretch and into the playoffs, and you'd have to backfill his slot.

Didn't he play a game or two up front with injuries late last season?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I was reading Sam Gagner was gonna get signed. Recently read he's actually decent possession wise. If we lose out on Vesey and we can move Kane, wouldn't mind bringing him in here on the wing as long as it's cheap. Solid shootout guy too. Him and Okposo on the shootout could mean a 5-6 point difference in the standings

His possession numbers weren't bad the past few years. His scoring has been pretty disappointing though.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
McCabe is not going to play forward.

I know..it summer...think of some hypothetical stuff.....but serious question here. I don't know what determines if someone is a forward or defense for the expansion draft. Would they look at the last season snd time on ice at a position, just what a team says? Could they look back over the players last 3 seasons in the AHL/NHL at what they played?

Deslauriers switched to forward from D 3 years ago. He would have been an interesting question had the switch not happened till this season.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Got me thinking....what are the rules on changing McCabe to a LW????

Then he could be protected as a forward?

He probably would have to play the majority of the games this season as wing, and that obviously isn't happening.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If Vesey goes else where we definitely need to bring in another forward capable of playing on the top 2 lines.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Trade board idea that essentially reverses the Winnipeg trade:

Kane and Bogosian for Tanev and cap dump (Sbisa/Burrows).

Benning is trading to build a more rugged team to compete in the west. Vancouver reporters say ownership and Benning love Kane. Trading Tanev hurts but Bogosian fits their needs and keeps a top 4 defense viable.

Buffalo gets Tanev and can form a very good shutdown pairing in Kulikov-Tanev. Cap dump is irrelevant due to contract length.

Thoughts?

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

Benning is trading to build a more rugged team to compete in the west. Vancouver reporters say ownership and Benning love Kane. Trading Tanev hurts but Bogosian fits their needs and keeps a top 4 defense viable.

Buffalo gets Tanev and can form a very good shutdown pairing in Kulikov-Tanev. Cap dump is irrelevant due to contract length.

Thoughts?

Tanev with his contract is IMO better than Bogo with his contract. And if we actually just intend to dump Kane before the season starts, I would prefer doing it this way (upgrading a big piece), than just take a single crappy return (mid-round pick or something like that).

On the other hand... Myers, Armia, Stafford, 1st round pick and Lemieux is a pretty steep price for basically Tanev (+ cap dump). But with Kane we seem to be in a pretty difficult situation.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

Thoughts?

Tanev and Hansen :handclap:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
It's so good that Benning just happens to be in the one city that might get excited over Kane.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
With what Edmonton paid to upgrade their right defense, I think I'd rather sell them separately. Bogo would fetch better on his own, as would Kane, as he still produces on the ice/age/grit/etc,

But starting with Tanev is enough to get the ball rolling

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I know..it summer...think of some hypothetical stuff.....but serious question here. I don't know what determines if someone is a forward or defense for the expansion draft. Would they look at the last season snd time on ice at a position, just what a team says? Could they look back over the players last 3 seasons in the AHL/NHL at what they played?

Deslauriers switched to forward from D 3 years ago. He would have been an interesting question had the switch not happened till this season.

Its definitely an interesting question and topic for the expansion draft thread. But as it pertains to roster speculation for the Sabres its not relevant. There are no players (of those potentially protected) on the roster that will be playing forward instead of defense or vice versa in order to change their protection status.

In fact I can't think of many, if any, players league wide that could actually do this. The only high end player I can think of in the last several years that played forward and defense effectively and at a level worthy of protection would be Byfuglien. Usually guys that might be able to play both positions are depth guys playing lesser roles, like Des. Not someone a team would look to protect. And even in Des' case it was as an emergency fill in due to injuries not a long term thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad