Roster Speculation: Part XV (aka. Off-season wish list edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Murray's comment about the 8th overall probably not being enough ammo to get the type of PPQB they want but also potentially not making sense value wise in a trade leads me to believe Vatanen isn't going to happen.

Or Vatanen's RH shot isn't what he's looking for.

:dunno:

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Murray's comment about the 8th overall probably not being enough ammo to get the type of PPQB they want but also potentially not making sense value wise in a trade leads me to believe Vatanen isn't going to happen.

Maybe he's thinking about a guy more like Lindholm. Who might not be your perfect idea of a pp qb, but could be his ideal. Or maybe Fowler is a guy he's thinking is the ideal, and Vatanen is the "Lower price" option as opposed to either of the other two.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How is cody Mccormick's contract handled moving forward? Retirement, honored to ltir...?

I was wondering that as well. And of course, it wasn't asked during the presser, even though McCormick came up. They could use that contract spot, but the way Pegula deals with people, I could see them allowing him to LTIR it out to the end, getting his payday. The Numminen-type team suspension I don't think will happen.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I was wondering that as well. And of course, it wasn't asked during the presser, even though McCormick came up. They could use that contract spot, but the way Pegula deals with people, I could see them allowing him to LTIR it out to the end, getting his payday. The Numminen-type team suspension I don't think will happen.

Agreed. As offseason cap isn't an issue during his contract and the obvious fact murray likes him I can see him honoring the contract and making sure cody gets paid. I'd agree with the move 100% that being said from a business standpoint it's an interesting question especially for Stamkos enthusiasts

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

I don't think it can, anyway. Cody got hurt during the NHL season. Can't suspend if a player fails his physical due to injuries sustained during play or practice or travel.

As far as the retirement question, McCormick is due $1M for the last year of his contract. I don't think anyone can expect him to walk away from that. If the contract slot is an important enough concern, though, they could buy out the final year of his contract. That would eat up $833k of cap space this year and $333k next year. The cap space doesn't really matter over that term and if they did give him a job with the organization they could make up for the lost money there (I suppose the same is the case with "encouraging" him to retire, too)

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I thought you couldn't buy out somebody on IR or who is injured, or was that just for the compliance buyouts following the last lockout.

Despite the contract space being used, I don't think the current ownership is the type to try to push out McCormick for the 1 year, even if they had a way to do that (not that I'm saying anybody thinks they would want to do that).

Plus Murray never said McCormick was going to actually "retire", that was the dipstick from the News that used that term and it's since seems to have been picked up as some sort of official word. Maybe he will, but I'd be surprised if he's not just on LTIR (if needed) for the last year of the deal.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Murray's comments about PP QB have me leaning Cam Fowler, and I'm good with that. They can use a puck mover and a stay-at-home, but probably won't get both. Edm seems like a lot more likely destination for Brodin (if he's traded), while Fowler and the Ducks situation makes Buffalo a natural fit. I wish Fowler had more years under contract, but being an instant top pair on a rising team makes a re-sign quite likely. Maybe being closer to home makes a difference too.

I'm not sure about the trade value...I guess straight up for 8th is right even though I wish it weren't. Not sure what the Ducks would want for a roster player...anyone??

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I thought you couldn't buy out somebody on IR or who is injured, or was that just for the compliance buyouts following the last lockout.

Normally injured players cannot be bought out (because buying a player out reduces his salary, but injured players are entitled to their full salary) but he could still agree to a buy out (see: Chris Drury). I suppose it's at a point where they might as well just get him to retire, though.

Edit: I suppose optics wise a buy out then giving him a job might play better than "encouraging" retirement due to the cap hit angle (even though Buffalo isn't anywhere close to the cap)

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
GMTM says a firm 'no' on Moulson as a buyout candidate. Shouldn't be surprising, considering the cap implications, but now it's pretty solid.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
GMTM says a firm 'no' on Moulson as a buyout candidate. Shouldn't be surprising, considering the cap implications, but now it's pretty solid.

Probably a good thing for mm to hear said do concretely on such a public forum.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
With the upcoming expanson draft, with 25% required in exposed salary and Moulsons contract it would make no sense to buy him out. This is reason enough, although I am sure there are other reasons.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It makes financial sense to wait as long as you can even without an expansion draft looming. Since it is its really a no brainer.

RocSabres

Jul 21, 2014
All of this talk about D dominoes falling especially with Edmonton and their assets you gotta think they are the team who ends up winning the Hamonic sweepstakes. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet but with his desire to return to western Canada and Edmontons glaring hole on the blue line and need for veteran locker room presence Hamonic makes perfect sense. Not sure what it would take to acquire him as they'd probably have to take a loss on the value in the trade but I think they are the ones who end up with Hamonic. I also don't think Edmonton is done there addressing their blue line, they certainly have the fire power to add another big asset as well as the glaring need. Will be interesting to see who goes where but I gotta believe Edmonton lands Hamonic to give them a huge boost to their blue line.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
My issue with signing Yandle stems from the term/money he'll command given his d-zone deficiencies, but I do think he'd be an upgrade (albeit a far-from-ideal upgrade) on Gorges for next season, at least.

Yandle-Risto
Gorges-Bogo
McCabe-Pysyk
Franson

I'd prefer he go the Brodin route or just be patient. A blue line filled with inconsistent/bad d-zone players like Yandle, McCabe, Franson, Bogo and even Risto is scary.

QFT.
I'd love to see Soupy come back short term, but I imagine he's gonna re-up in Florida for a year

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
I didn't realize that Cam Fowler is only 24 years old. For some reason I thought he was older...
Maybe because this is his 6th season lol. He is a top pairing defenseman now and top 10 at clearing the defensive zone. He still has time to improve since he is only 24 years old. If Fowler were available, he would probably cost a ton. Vatanen would probably be a cheaper get.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Looping back to the "PP QB" Comment, remember that Bylsma coached Goligoski both in the AHL/NHL.

So, if he does hit the market (which he likely will given Dallas's stable of LHD), that might be a decent "value" pick up at 4-5M per on a shorter term (3-4 years) deal.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Looping back to the "PP QB" Comment, remember that Bylsma coached Goligoski both in the AHL/NHL.

So, if he does hit the market (which he likely will given Dallas's stable of LHD), that might be a decent "value" pick up at 4-5M per on a shorter term (3-4 years) deal.

Agreed.
Especially if Dallas gets bumped w bit early, Russell may be easier for them to sign, and with guys like Lindell, Oleksiak, Nemeth and Honka waiting in the wings, they won't be so pressured to sign the guy, and Goligoski is an American, would be nice to put him with team USA's top guy.

Could see something like that as well as a deal for a guy like Vatanen
(2017 1st, Pysyk & Baptiste fair?).

Goligoski-Ristolainen
Gorges-Bogosian
McCabe-Vatanen
X-Franson & Nelson

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

That's wonderful that you're so willing to ink Goligoski to a deal he'd never sign. He's a 30-year-old UFA earning $4.8m this year on a 4yr/$18.4m deal. He's not going to sign the same deal, or worse, as a UFA. Goligoski is probably getting closer to $5.5m AAV on a 5-6 year deal. Not a fan at that price.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
That's wonderful that you're so willing to ink Goligoski to a deal he'd never sign. He's a 30-year-old UFA earning $4.8m this year on a 4yr/$18.4m deal. He's not going to sign the same deal, or worse, as a UFA. Goligoski is probably getting closer to $5.5m AAV on a 5-6 year deal. Not a fan at that price.

Along the Yandle line, could him a Goligoski be the short term guys that they'd want the cap savings of a Risto bridge deal? go after those guys at 6.5+ on a 2-3 year deal, you get guys to push 2017 pick, Guhle, Pysyk, McCabe down the lineup, Goligoski cashes in on a 13-14.5mil, 2 yr contract and can still get another deal in while he's got something left

add Campbell to that list

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Along the Yandle line, could him a Goligoski be the short term guys that they'd want the cap savings of a Risto bridge deal? go after those guys at 6.5+ on a 2-3 year deal, you get guys to push 2017 pick, Guhle, Pysyk, McCabe down the lineup, Goligoski cashes in on a 13-14.5mil, 2 yr contract and can still get another deal in while he's got something left

add Campbell to that list

Goligoski and Yandle won't be signing any contract less than 5 years in term, IMO.

It makes perfect sense from a Buffalo POV, but not from the players' POVs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad