Roster Speculation: Part XV (aka. Off-season wish list edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Guess I am in a minority. I like Subban a lot but not enough to give up the only top 2 NHL defence man we have for him never mind adding.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You move Pysyk because you want a different style...fine that makes sense.m but you keep Girgensons because his cost isn't going to soar and he's a good player even when he isn't producting. It doesn't make sense to move on from him until his cost outweighs his value.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I agree with most posters notion that Campbell seems like somebody who will resign in Florida, but lets say he hits the UFA market, what is a reasonable contract to get him in Buffalo? 2 years 10 million?

Florida has the cash to re-sign him, but likely only for 1 year.

Ekblad in a RFA after next year, Gudbranson is a RFA this year, and Kulikov is a UFA next year.

If he wants a 2 year deal, he likely will have to go elsewhere

My guess is he re-ups there 1 year.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Guess I am in a minority. I like Subban a lot but not enough to give up the only top 2 NHL defence man we have for him never mind adding.

I am pretty sure you are in the very large majority. Risto is not going anywhere, in no way, on no day, and I 100% would never want him to. It's madness to talk about trading him. I love Subban but Risto/Eichel/O'Reilly/Reinhart are not pieces to give up.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Girgensons fits that heavy game that Murray likes, so I think he'll be only moved if it's a sticking point in a deal.

Pysyk I can see Murray dangling though.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm not sure that's an "or" situation.

He will fetch an unbelievable return if they were stupid enough to move him.

I just noticed his NMC kicks in July 1.

Damn. I think Montreal is stupid to do a deal like this, but, imagine the package that Edmonton could put together. Including their 1st.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Damn. I think Montreal is stupid to do a deal like this, but, imagine the package that Edmonton could put together. Including their 1st.

I imagine any package would have to include a young D-man with top pair potential, which might be problematic for Edmonton. Would they be willing to part with Nurse for Subban? The whole point would probably be to add Subban TO Nurse/Klefbom, not replace them.

That's the same thing with the Sabres making an offer for Subban. I can't see Montreal making that deal without getting a very good D-man back, which sort of defeats the purpose. You're hoping to add a guy like that to the core you already have, not simply replace a guy with him.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
That's the same thing with the Sabres making an offer for Subban. I can't see Montreal making that deal without getting a very good D-man back, which sort of defeats the purpose. You're hoping to add a guy like that to the core you already have, not simply replace a guy with him.

Yeah that's where I'm at. We need more good defensemen. We don't necessarily need an upgrade on our best one. Cuz we'd be in the same place we are now if there was a Subban for Risto + swap: still in need of a defenseman or two.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm pretty sure we sign Chad. I don't trust Lehner yet from an injury prospective and Johnson has shown he can be a top end backup. Sign him. A 2 year deal at whatever he wants (within reason of course) isn't going to hurt us.

I see a 2yr deal max. 3 yrs causes problems because Ullmark has only 2 yrs left in waiver freedom.

I have a feeling that Pysyk and Girgensons are moved this summer. The most recently drafted "non-Murray" guys" whose values are still somewhat rooted in their draft pedigree. While neither is a finished product, each guy's development this year wavered enough that the possibility of 3rd pairing/bottom 6 players respectively emerged.

Packaged with picks/prospects, we could net a serious upgrade moving them.

Not much of a stretch. If they are traded it's in a hockey trade, not for futures.

Pysyk + Girgensons would get A young decent LHD.

I could see something like RNH+Klefbom/Nurse for Subban if Montreal didn't win the lottery.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Darth Murray off-season:

- Eichel convinces Vesey to come play for Buffalo.
- Cagguila signs with Buffalo as well after being impressed at Dev Camp.
- Chychrun falls to #8, and Murray wastes no time.
- Ennis comes back healthy.
- Legwand agrees to re-sign for a depth and leadership role
- Moulson stays as expansion draft fodder.
- 2017 1st and 2016 2nd to Winnipeg for Toby Enstrom
- Franson shipped to somewhere for not much.
- Johnson re-signs.

Kane - O'Reilly - Ennis
Girgensons - Reinhart - Fasching
Vesey - Eichel - Cagguila
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta
x Legwand, Moulson

Enstrom - Ristolainen
McCabe - Pysyk
Chychrun - Bogosian
x Gorges

Lehner
Johnson

I think a little pee just came out.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If we traded that for Toby Enstrom...

I mean...what in the actual hell

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If we traded that for Toby Enstrom...

I mean...what in the actual hell

It's conceptual - like nitpicking the line combos and pairs, it misses the point.

Imagine the coup Murray pulls if in one off-season he adds two quality, young wings in Vesey and Cagguila, a rookie starter in Chychrun, and a near-perfect partner for Ristolainen in Enstrom?

Re: Vesey and Cagguila. That'd be the Pegula way of treating players, plus the tank years allowing the the team to add high end centers, paying off.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It's conceptual - like nitpicking the line combos and pairs, it misses the point.

Imagine the coup Murray pulls if in one off-season he adds two quality, young wings in Vesey and Cagguila, a rookie starter in Chychrun, and a near-perfect partner for Ristolainen in Enstrom?

Re: Vesey and Cagguila. That'd be the Pegula way of treating players, plus the tank years allowing the the team to add high end centers, paying off.

It's pretty unrealistic to say a team grabs both of the big name college UFAs. Typically high profile college UFAs look at opportunity to play in the NHL first.

Buffalo has

Eichel
O'Reilly
Kane
Reinhart
Ennis
Girgensons
Foligno
Larsson
Gionta
Moulson

In their top 9 already. IMHO, I don't see us grabbing either. There are at least 20 other suitors for each out there. The only advantage I could see us having is Caggulia being familiar with us in our dev camp.

I like the Enstrom idea....but I doubt TMGM moves two higher picks for a d-man in their 30s. Just against his MO so far. Could be wrong on that though.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It's pretty unrealistic to say a team grabs both of the big name college UFAs. Typically high profile college UFAs look at opportunity to play in the NHL first.

Buffalo has

Eichel
O'Reilly
Kane
Reinhart
Ennis
Girgensons
Foligno
Larsson
Gionta
Moulson

In their top 9 already. IMHO, I don't see us grabbing either. There are at least 20 other suitors for each out there. The only advantage I could see us having is Caggulia being familiar with us in our dev camp.

I like the Enstrom idea....but I doubt TMGM moves two higher picks for a d-man in their 30s. Just against his MO so far. Could be wrong on that though.

I think Ennis, Gionta, Moulson, and to a degree Kane, are all short-lived for the Sabres. Any young player could play right away in Buffalo even if it's a 4th line, spend a season adjusting to the game under low pressure, then just wait for trades, expansion draft, free agency, and retirement to create opportunity.

Like Chicago, Buffalo is gaining the attraction of playing alongside stars.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think Ennis, Gionta, Moulson, and to a degree Kane, are all short-lived for the Sabres. Any young player could play right away in Buffalo even if it's a 4th line, spend a season adjusting to the game under low pressure, then just wait for trades, expansion draft, free agency, and retirement to create opportunity.

Like Chicago, Buffalo is gaining the attraction of playing alongside stars.

Hold on here. I'll be the first to pimp Buffalo as being a UFA destination. But, until Buffalo wins several championship(s), they won't be on par with Chicago as a place to play.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Trade 1:
To Buffalo:
D- S. Vatanen
(Yes he's a righty, but he's the exact guy we need!)

To Anaheim:
2017 1st round pick
D- M. Pysyk
F- N. Baptiste
(Maybe overpayment?)

Trade 2:
To Buffalo:
F- A. Shaw

To Chicago:
2016 3rd round pick
2016 3rd round pick (via St. L)
2017 2nd round pick (via Minnesota)

Trade 3:
To Minnesota:
2016 2nd round pick
2017 2nd round pick
2016 3rd round pick (via Anaheim)

To Buffalo:
2016 1st round pick

Draft Juolevi at 8th, Draft Niemelainen with Minnesota's 1st

Sign Caggiula
Sign Vesey

Next year:
Kane-O'Reilly-Shaw
Girgensons-Eichel-Fasching
Vesey-Reinhart-Ennis
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Vatanen-Ristolainen
Gorges-Bogosian
McCabe-Nelson

Long term:
Juolevi-Ristolainen
Niemelainen-Vatanen
(The Four "Norsemen" of the Apocalypse!!!)

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Hold on here. I'll be the first to pimp Buffalo as being a UFA destination. But, until Buffalo wins several championship(s), they won't be on par with Chicago as a place to play.

I think DJ was stating that we're on the path Chicago was when building their team. Not comparing them at this current time.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Exactly Chain. I don't see us being at that stage for at least two more years. We aren't at the "tinker for the Cup run" part yet. Shaw would be that kind of player.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think DJ was stating that we're on the path Chicago was when building their team. Not comparing them at this current time.

Exactly. Hossa saw where the train was headed when he signed. I think Vesey and Cagguila are plenty smart enough to see where Buffalo is headed. Why not get on the train now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad