Roster Speculation: Part XV (aka. Off-season wish list edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I traded Girgensons for LHD :)

Seems like a "catch-22." Vesey won't make a decision until August. If we don't trade one of our top 9 before then, how can Buffalo promise him a spot? And how can we trade one of Girgs/Foligno if we don't know if we're landing Vesey?

I guess as a GM you try to trade one of those two for LHD help either way, but the value you're willing to accept in return can greatly depend on if you're getting one (or two!) of the college UFAs.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Seems like a "catch-22." Vesey won't make a decision until August. If we don't trade one of our top 9 before then, how can Buffalo promise him a spot? And how can we trade one of Girgs/Foligno if we don't know if we're landing Vesey?

I guess as a GM you try to trade one of those two for LHD help either way, but the value you're willing to accept in return can greatly depend on if you're getting one (or two!) of the college UFAs.

Nashville promised Vesey a spot.... i don't think that actually matters. Kid is confident.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Given that he'll have his choice of teams, I imagine Vesey wants a clear path to a top-9 role on an NHL roster next season. As it currently stands - and it will obviously change this summer - our top-9, as presently constituted (ignore the specific lines, this is only illustrative):

Kane-ROR-Ennis
Girgensons-Eichel-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Do they trade one of Girgensons/Foligno to make room for Vesey - perhaps a Pysyk/Foligno package for a top-4 LHD? I think it'll be telling if Murray deals a LW, doesn't backfill the position in UFA, and we only have two of those current LWs heading into August.
That's kind of what I'm getting at. Obviously, Murray's comments demonstrate that the LW playing alongside Eichel is not set in stone and can be a recruiting tool, but in that sense for Vesey, there's also several things that have yet to play out: Caggiula, lottery, draft, trades, UFA. I suppose if Eichel's confident maybe BUF throws NSH a pick at the draft to get negotiations started early. :dunno:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
If there is interest from Vesey I wonder if Murray throws one of his multiple 3rds at Nashville for Vesey's rights, sign him, get him in for summer camp and integrated in the system and know what you have in house so you can make a Girgs expendable in a LHD trade.

Vesey was drafted in the 3rd so Nashville recoups something and this draft isn't that deep past the 2nd round so Losing a 3rd doesn't hurt.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Can someone give the low down on Vesey's game please

Offensive Power Forward. If you want the "crazy if it happens pipedream player comparison"... it's Jamie Benn... but faster. His skating to power ratio is very much in the Evander Kane neighborhoohd, and some might argue so is his shoot first, ask questions later style of play. He's hard on the puck, and his neutral zone play both ways stands out at the collegiate level. He's a puck dog, bull dog, and a goal dog. It would be such a massive steal if we signed him. I've never even considered it, figuring this is a Toronto thing.... i don't want to hold my breath, but holy cow what a coup it would be to get him.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Offensive Power Forward. If you want the "crazy if it happens pipedream player comparison"... it's Jamie Benn... but faster. His skating to power ratio is very much in the Evander Kane neighborhoohd, and some might argue so is his shoot first, ask questions later style of play. He's hard on the puck, and his neutral zone play both ways stands out at the collegiate level. He's a puck dog, bull dog, and a goal dog. It would be such a massive steal if we signed him. I've never even considered it, figuring this is a Toronto thing.... i don't want to hold my breath, but holy cow what a coup it would be to get him.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but his father was quoted as saying he doesn't think playing in Toronto would be a good option, because of the media spotlight and the pressure being a young leader on a rebuilding team. So we have that going for us...

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
How does that improve the team instead of just shuffle pieces around? Unless you're that high on Bogosian or Pysyk stepping up when they're the top RHD.

I think Bogosian is more capable of being a top pair player than anyone on the left side. Bogosian, Pysyk, Franson, Nelson is stronger than our current LD lineup of McCabe, Gorges, who else?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think Bogosian is more capable of being a top pair player than anyone on the left side. Bogosian, Pysyk, Franson, Nelson is stronger than our current LD lineup of McCabe, Gorges, who else?

"we should make our defense suck on the right side because it sucks on the left side already."

Didn't you suggest trading Risto last time trading Laine for defensive help was discussed?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Not sure if this has been mentioned but his father was quoted as saying he doesn't think playing in Toronto would be a good option, because of the media spotlight and the pressure being a young leader on a rebuilding team. So we have that going for us...
Seems more like a posture move by his dad. That way if he signs there and people start screaming for tampering charges his dad can just say "I told the media a few months ago I said don't sign here!".

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If there is interest from Vesey I wonder if Murray throws one of his multiple 3rds at Nashville for Vesey's rights, sign him, get him in for summer camp and integrated in the system and know what you have in house so you can make a Girgs expendable in a LHD trade.

Vesey was drafted in the 3rd so Nashville recoups something and this draft isn't that deep past the 2nd round so Losing a 3rd doesn't hurt.

pretty sure they'll get a comp pick for losing him (I think a 4th?)....

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
"we should make our defense suck on the right side because it sucks on the left side already."

Didn't you suggest trading Risto last time trading Laine for defensive help was discussed?

Ehh, it would be a minor improvement, assuming you could get an equivalent trade. But that's where delusion land begins.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

I haven't seen anything about Toronto, but his dad did say he wouldn't recommend him playing in Boston (his hometown) due to the added pressure.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

He has a ton of value and we have some depth on the right side. I just think it's worth considering all avenues. There are a lot of teams that would kill for a young, top pairing RD.

Imagine if Edmonton offered Klefbom + 1st for Risto. I'm thinking long and hard about that.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Seems more like a posture move by his dad. That way if he signs there and people start screaming for tampering charges his dad can just say "I told the media a few months ago I said don't sign here!".
I see that advice more as "spread one's wings" than tampering cover.

pretty sure they'll get a comp pick for losing him (I think a 4th?)....
No, those conditional picks only apply to first-rounders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad