Roster Speculation Part XI...$teven $tamko$?? Pony up for PK?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
it's not? they aren't?

They KEY is building a blueline. Finding a top pair LHD is the most important, but it's not the end game.

The end game for me is solved when x, y, and z are filled to a contenders standards.
xxxx-Risto - 25 per
yyyy-Pysyk - 18 per
zzzz-Bogo - 18 per

Gorges is hot possession garbage. I'm not willing to simply say, "hey if we slide him down to the 2nd pair... he'll be NOT hot possession garbage".

Franson is a terrible hockey player. I'm not willing to simply say, "hey the young guy is going to be... better, when he's paired with the ultimate anchor"

The left side is a disaster right now. And one move doesn't fix it.

This. We're already a marathon away from finishing the backend. Acting like you can walk into next season with 4 ?s on the backend and pretend the team is on its way to contention is just baffling to me. Remember how our center spine didn't just fall out of thin air? Neither will our blueline.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
This. We're already a marathon away from finishing the backend. Acting like you can walk into next season with 4 ?s on the backend and pretend the team is on its way to contention is just baffling to me. Remember how our center spine didn't just fall out of thin air? Neither will our blueline.

yea, exactly. :handclap:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'd prefer not to assume the team is too stupid to even use the talent they have. That seems like a terrible argument in favor of downgrading.

So far they have been though.

FWIW, I'm not advocating trading Pysyk because I don't think he's good. I think he's fine, but I'm also not as high on him as you. I'm just trying to read what their feelings on it would be. To me, Pysyk is okay, but far from core.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It doesn't matter if Pysyk is a top 4 d-man or not.

If he's not going to be used by our coach and there are zero plans to fire the coach or make a space for Pysyk to be in the top 4, we should be using the asset to improve our team elsewhere.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
So if we moved Pysyk for Drouin you'd be upset?

I would know it's because Bylsma is an idiot who won't utilize his player correctly. which I already know and we are stuck with for years to come since the team will keep improving no matter who the coach is. So I'd look at it like Murray making a deal while taking into consideration Pysyk's value...under Bylsma. Which isn't his real value but it's the value we are doomed to accept. I guess if pray Drouin fits in and doesn't throw hissy fits and holdouts anytime something isn't handed to him...and watch in sadness as a better coach uses Pysyk who is a better defenseman than anyone we have here outside of Risto.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I would know it's because Bylsma is an idiot who won't utilize his player correctly. which I already know and we are stuck with for years to come since the team will keep improving no matter who the coach is. So I'd look at it like Murray making a deal while taking into consideration Pysyk's value...under Bylsma. Which isn't his real value but it's the value we are doomed to accept. I guess if pray Drouin fits in and doesn't throw hissy fits and holdouts anytime something isn't handed to him...and watch in sadness as a better coach uses Pysyk who is a better defenseman than anyone we have here outside of Risto.

Bylsma wouldn't be the one trading him. And, FWIW, Murray is the one who has made radio appearances in which he's said that the organization wants more (i.e., offense) from Pysyk. Reading the tea leaves, I've always got the impression that Murray thinks Pysyk is a nice, safe player, but he'd be expendable unless his game adds some elements.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Whether Pysyk stays or goes for winger, the Sabres blueline still has the 1LHD hole.

Fixing that issue will make the rest of the blue line look a lot better.

Gorges-Bogosian as a #2 pair isn't that bad.

McCabe-Franson isn't the worst 3rd pairing out there.

The key on the blueline is all about getting the 1LHD to pair with Risto that puts the whole puzzle together.

And it's unlikely Pysyk can be used as the key piece to get that player.

The likely piece to land that guy is either the Sabres 2016 1st. That could switch to Reinhart if the Sabres get Matthews and/or Stamkos.

I threw up in my mouth seeing those. If we're contending, we need to seriously UPGRADE EVERY player listed. Bogo, Gorges, McCabe at best should be a #6/#7 on a playoff contender, and I'm not going to even think about a Stanley Cup contender.

Right now, of our defense, the only players I would not touch, would be Pysyk and Risto. I'm not losing sleep about the others being gone.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
it's not? they aren't?

They KEY is building a blueline. Finding a top pair LHD is the most important, but it's not the end game.

The end game for me is solved when x, y, and z are filled to a contenders standards.
xxxx-Risto - 25 per
yyyy-Pysyk - 18 per
zzzz-Bogo - 18 per

Gorges is hot possession garbage. I'm not willing to simply say, "hey if we slide him down to the 2nd pair... he'll be NOT hot possession garbage".

Franson is a terrible hockey player. I'm not willing to simply say, "hey the young guy is going to be... better, when he's paired with the ultimate anchor"

1st pair: http://public.tableau.com/shared/KD2RNKRN6?:display_count=no

2nd pair: http://public.tableau.com/shared/FQHP5J3JP?:display_count=no

3rd pair: http://public.tableau.com/shared/8MB92WG2H?:display_count=no

Not that Disco Dan would do that....

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Bylsma wouldn't be the one trading him. And, FWIW, Murray is the one who has made radio appearances in which he's said that the organization wants more (i.e., offense) from Pysyk. Reading the tea leaves, I've always got the impression that Murray thinks Pysyk is a nice, safe player, but he'd be expendable unless his game adds some elements.

Now only if Bylsma put him in positions to allow him to provide that offense. Instead Pysyk gets paired with the worst of the worst in terms of puck possession and goal prevention. He's counted on to be the stable member of the pairing because the other guy, regardless who it is, can't do anything. What's worse is that Pysyk's partners seem to get the special team's play.

At this point Pysyk is not given a role on the roster to allow Pysyk to open up more. Hopefully Murray can see this and gives him more time. Otherwise, Pysyk will fall victim of being used incorrectly by a coach who is subpar in lineup structures/matchups.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Now only if Bylsma put him in positions to allow him to provide that offense. Instead Pysyk gets paired with the worst of the worst in terms of puck possession and goal prevention. He's counted on to be the stable member of the pairing because the other guy, regardless who it is, can't do anything. What's worse is that Pysyk's partners seem to get the special team's play.

At this point Pysyk is not given a role on the roster to allow Pysyk to open up more. Hopefully Murray can see this and gives him more time. Otherwise, Pysyk will fall victim of being used incorrectly by a coach who is subpar in lineup structures/matchups.

Given that every D outside of Pysyk and Risto are garbage, what role could Dan put Pysyk in where he could put up some offense?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
it's not? they aren't?

xxxx-Risto - 25 per
yyyy-Pysyk - 18 per
zzzz-Bogo - 18 per

No disagreements to be had here. Getting Gorges down to 15-18 minutes a night would improve things greatly.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Given that every D outside of Pysyk and Risto are garbage, what role could Dan put Pysyk in where he could put up some offense?

Some PP time, More time in the offensive zone when you have Buffalo's better offensive lines out there.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

He's also been frank about not being able to come up with a reason he gets scratched. He claims Bylsma knows they're a better team when he's on the ice...but in practice we see that he clearly does not.

Murray would be the one trading him...and he'd be telling the GM on the phone the truth about how good he is and how his coach has misused him in favor of some bad players. He can't fire the coach for a while...and the coach drives the players value to the team into the toilet.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Breakout passes and getting the puck up ice quick aren't offensive roles? We consistently outshoot teams when he's playing by luck?

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Breakout passes = good on the powerplay?

Poise with the puck is key for a point man on the powerplay. Pysyk I think has some potential to at least play on a 2nd unit. He's a good passer and he can hold the line which is more than can be said for a lot of players on the team. I'd rather have Pysyk taking up one of the four point spots which pushes Eichel to the wall which pushes someone like McGinn either to the 2nd unit or off the PP altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad