Speculation: Roster Speculation, 2018 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Tage Thompson hasn't really been discussed in a ROR deal...man, do the Blues ever have a nice prospect pool.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The Blues also had a nice prospect pool 5 and 10 years ago. Hasn't gotten them a cup yet. Remember how some people were about the gall of Sabre fans asking for Ty Rattie in a Ryan Miller trade? :laugh:

That's the point. Not all of their "top" prospects are going to amount to what they think. It is common occurrence with the Blues having all these great prospects that mostly don't pan out to all that much. I love how 2017 was considered a super weak draft and now that every 1st round drafted prospect who didn't fall off a cliff is automatically considered a great prospect who is untouchable :shakehead

The Blues are a great drafting team but it's not like they possess prospects who were recent top 5-10 picks. It's not like we are talking about acquiring Pierre Luc Dubois last summer. Totally different then any Blues prospect. None of their prospects should be considered untouchable. None of their prospects are better then Mittelstadt let's put it that way and I'd move Casey in a deal if the situation was reversed and we were the playoff contender with our franchise #1 dman contract up in 2 years and will want a huge raise.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I have this feeling that Hutton gets signed for what the Sabres wouldn’t pay Lehner and Lehner is better in Detroit than Hutton is in Buffalo.

Hutton won’t be playing behind the Blues or Preds here.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Thoughts?

Better than Lehner at $4M, but at the same time a little steep. It just depends on how Botterill really wants to build this team. On a 2 year deal I can see the $8M being an average term / signing. However, with the age and the three year term it's a little longer in the tooth than I personally like.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I have this feeling that Hutton gets signed for what the Sabres wouldn’t pay Lehner and Lehner is better in Detroit than Hutton is in Buffalo.

He's also much calmer in the net and doesn't let in as many blunders. I completely disagree with all of this. Lehner is a complete gamble. In addition it looks as though Bernier is nearing a contract agreement. Unless something completely falls apart.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

I just think predicting what any of these goalies on the carousel do this season is a fools errand. Might as well just say GOALIE on the back of the sweater as far as I'm concerned. I'll at least take the one coming off a fantastic season who's a great teammate, the anti-Lehner.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Better than Lehner at $4M, but at the same time a little steep. It just depends on how Botterill really wants to build this team. On a 2 year deal I can see the $8M being an average term / signing. However, with the age and the three year term it's a little longer in the tooth than I personally like.

Lehner would have been 1 year at $4M.

I’d take that over Hutton locked in for three years at the same number.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I just think predicting what any of these goalies on the carousel do this season is a fools errand. Might as well just say GOALIE on the back of the sweater as far as I'm concerned. I'll at least take the one coming off a fantastic season who's a great teammate, the anti-Lehner.

I don’t mind rolling the dice on Hutton.

I just don’t like the idea of giving him 3 years at $4M per.

The max I would go for a guy that has never been a #1 and will be 33yo at season start is 2 years at $3M per.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I fully expect Lehner to do the same in Detroit as he did here. Put up respectable SV% and GAA but consistently lose games. Detroit isn't a good enough team at this point to carry a goalie who consistently finds ways to lose games.

I really don't know enough about Hutton other than he played well behind good defenses and was the goalie while the blues went on their late season run.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
So is Hutton a systems goalie, or a goalie who got pelted similarly as Elliot with rebounds because of a systems flaw on defense that allowed a lot of rebounds to go uncontested?

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I don't buy these Blues rumors, but if Buffalo really does flip ROR and Nylander for Thomas, Anderson, Sobotka and a pick, does Thomas push for a roster spot as early as next season?

That's a lot of youth down the middle (Eichel-Mittelstadt-Thomas). Does Mittelstadt move to wing?

(Please note that I'm not trying to turn this into another ROR debate. I'm curious to see how the roster projects in the event he's moved for a package like that.)

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I don't buy these Blues rumors, but if Buffalo really does flip ROR and Nylander for Thomas, Anderson, Sobotka and a pick, does Thomas push for a roster spot as early as next season?

That's a lot of youth down the middle (Eichel-Mittelstadt-Thomas). Does Mittelstadt move to wing?

(Please note that I'm not trying to turn this into another ROR debate. I'm curious to see how the roster projects in the event he's moved for a package like that.)

Blues fans expect Thomas on the STL roster this year, so I'd imagine that he's basically a lock in Buffalo.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Hutton at 4 mil for 3 years is terribad, for the record.

99% of the time I feel like you have the worst takes, for the record. Having a goaltending platoon for 5m is pretty good value. Hutton would have the starting role for the first time in his career and is, by all accounts, a huge positive factor in a locker room. When Hutton was starting, the Blues were winning. We're not tight against the cap. What's your objection? Should he get 3.75m instead of 4m? Are you going to risk some other team signing him over 250k?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Cause he's not as good as his numbers from last year make him out to be. You will see it outside of STL, he will drop to .915 or below and he isn't going to carry a starter workload so 4 mil per is terribad.

What makes him not as good as his numbers indicate? What is your standard for "starter workload"?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
99% of the time I feel like you have the worst takes, for the record. Having a goaltending platoon for 5m is pretty good value. Hutton would have the starting role for the first time in his career and is, by all accounts, a huge positive factor in a locker room. When Hutton was starting, the Blues were winning. We're not tight against the cap. What's your objection? Should he get 3.75m instead of 4m? Are you going to risk some other team signing him over 250k?

Yep. We will have one of the cheaper tandems if Hutton signs for that. Last year for reference we spent 6.5mil on Lehner/Johnson which wasn't a lot. Next year would be 4.75mil.

Last edited:

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Hutton wouldn't be the first goalie to finally make it as a starter in his 30's and he won't be the last.

We have tons of cap space and more coming with Pomms, and Moulson coming off the books next summer. Bogo, Scandella and Hunwick the year after.

We really shouldn't be too worried about a 4 mill cap hit for a portion of a goalie tandem, especially when the other is even more unproven and won't be due for a big raise soon.

Didn't Dallas spend like 10+ mill on their goalies and still miss the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad