Speculation: Roster Speculation, 2018 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I wouldn't, I've soured a little bit on Risto recently but he's still just as good as Trouba and signed for a few years. Trouba is not 2.5 mil a year better player so I'd def pass. Now a Risto for PK or OEL deal and I'm all ears.
Yeah I guess my thought process is it would be a move that shakeups the core and still returns a very good defenseman to take Risto's spot. Risto is better offensively, Trouba defensively.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

First I’ve seen that Hutton paid us a visit

The Carter Hutton sweepstakes hasn’t received quite the hype as the John Tavares talks, but for teams looking for a goalie, he’s the best available. And the finish line is getting close. According to an NHL source, Hutton visited Buffalo on Wednesday and has narrowed his options down considerably from the double-digit number of teams that reached out to him. That he was in Buffalo is a sign of how interested he is in that possibility.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I could live with three if it was descending salary each year making the last year an easier buyout option. But agree that two would be ideal

If he has demand in enough locations though, it might be the cost of doing UFA business with him. It isn’t a big concern if the have to go three but dollar is key.

Reactions: joshjull

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Thoughts?

It's a big number for a backup. It's a small number for a starter. It's a matter of what's-your-alternative when you're playing the UFA market from a position of need.

I would be mildly disappointed with the price, but unsurprised.

Reactions: joshjull

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Yeah I guess my thought process is it would be a move that shakeups the core and still returns a very good defenseman to take Risto's spot. Risto is better offensively, Trouba defensively.

Buffalo has a bigger problem scoring goals than conceding them. They'd be better off pursuing offensively minded hockey trades.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

Thoughts?

He'd be a starter for at least season 1 based on what Botts has said. Season 2 would probably be the same. I'd expect Ullmark to get 25-ish games in season 1, maybe 30-35 in season 2, and then evaluate. Considering Lehner actively lost them games last season and would have been qualified at 4m, I think 4m for Hutton is at the upper range of reasonable.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
He'd be a starter for at least season 1 based on what Botts has said. Season 2 would probably be the same. I'd expect Ullmark to get 25-ish games in season 1, maybe 30-35 in season 2, and then evaluate. Considering Lehner actively lost them games last season and would have been qualified at 4m, I think 4m for Hutton is at the upper range of reasonable.

I doubt the coaching staff is going to take a long view on sharing games. Usually with this team it's trying to put out the fire of the latest losing streak, and if you can get a guy who gives you a couple wins, f*** the schedule, we're all starters now.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I doubt the coaching staff is going to take a long view on sharing games. Usually with this team it's trying to put out the fire of the latest losing streak, and if you can get a guy who gives you a couple wins, **** the schedule, we're all starters now.

I'm sure if that is the case, it's not ideal for anyone involved.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Tyler Johnson anyone?

I think Buffalo is better suited going for a defensive minded center to fill RoR's role if he's moved. Should be a much easier role to fill

Let one of CM, O'Regan, or even Reinhart take the sheltered 3rd line role. No need to pay assets when we have this much depth.

Thoughts?

No NMC/NTC and buyout friendly I'd be OK with it.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
We just agreed to spend 5.2 million a year for 2 years for a small skilled forward that Pittsburgh made expendable. (Please do not respond with how we got Hunwick too-I know-but he is basically a cap dump no matter how nice a guy wgr says he is) We need wingers for sure but I think a goalie is really badly needed. If Hutton is the best available then in this case I do not mind a slight overpayment and an extra year.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
We just agreed to spend 5.2 million a year for 2 years for a small skilled forward that Pittsburgh made expendable. (Please do not respond with how we got Hunwick too-I know-but he is basically a cap dump no matter how nice a guy wgr says he is) We need wingers for sure but I think a goalie is really badly needed. If Hutton is the best available then in this case I do not mind a slight overpayment and an extra year.

My thoughts exactly

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I’m a big Hutton supporter. With Ullmark as our other guy I don’t see an issue with 3x4 even if he ends up as our backup. We’re gonna have very little cap room spent on goaltending all together and Hutton is a great teammate/mentor for Ullmark. These are the kind of moves you gotta make in a market like Buffalo. Spend the extra million a year it’s not gonna handcuff us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad