Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SI

Feb 16, 2013
A Pinto deal is the only thing that makes sense right now.

I tired to think about a scenario around Ehlers or Tarasenko, but it all seems too much of a reach.

We know the team was heavily scouting Ottawa during the deadline - it is a complicated deal because Isles need to move out Pageau’s contract but his midfield NTC limits his destination to half the league.
Ottawa also needs cap space with only 4.4 of space.

So here is a proposal -

Ottawa receives - JG Pageau, 2025 1st (top 3 protected), wahlstrom, and Bolduc
Anaheim receives - Matthieu Joseph and they retain (500k of Pageau’s contract)
Isles receive - Shane Pinto and Ross Johnston

Ottawa would have a little over 1.1 to add one free agent
Isles have about 4m left to sign Pinto to a bridge deal.
Anaheim adds some grit with Joseph and take on some $.

Reactions: FoxYou727

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Anaheim needs veterans for their kiddie corps. They get flexibility and a two way player.
This is the rationalization. You're starting with a conclusion and working backwards.

Ottawa receives - JG Pageau, 2025 1st (top 3 protected), wahlstrom, and Bolduc
Anaheim receives - Matthieu Joseph and they retain (500k of Pageau’s contract)
Isles receive - Shane Pinto and Ross Johnston
All of this hooey to get Ross Johnston back.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I also think he is done for the most part. Once Holmstrom is on board for the 875K it leaves us with a 22-man roster with 25K in cap space (once you replace Gauthier with Tsyplakov- and remember he didn't sign him to play in Bridgeport).

Two moves he can look to make is trading Wahlstrom for a similar type player that can be sent down and maybe another veteran D for the minimum to challenge Bolduc and figure the whole cap space out later....

The Pinto story has cooled some (he hasnt demanded a trade) and I could still see Ottawa look to move some guys out and get him inked or some team make an offer sheet for him (not us). Winnipeg is also in no hurry to move McGroarty, but I hope we at least inquire.

I think if he was looking to unload a contract he would have done it at the draft with his 3 picks in the first two rounds....

Feel surprised and good about the fact that he kept our draft picks, hasn't as of yet dipped into the Cluttberuck or Martin pool; hasn't made any unnecessary extensions to anyone; got MacLean on a great 3-year deal, probably will get Simon on the QO, didn't overpay for Reilly and got him on a great one-year deal and was able to get a real Top6 wing for the little bit of cap space we had....

So far, grading with the Lou curve; it has been a good offseason....

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
These are not proposed lines, but just to see where we stand right now roster-wise:

Duclair - Horvat - Barzal
Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
Lee - JGP - Holmstrom
MacLean - Cizikas - Tsyplakov
+Fasching, Wahlstrom, Iskhakov, Gauthier

Romanov - Dobson
Pelech - Pulock
Reilly - Mayfield
+Bolduc (depth callups Cholowski and Hutton?)

Sorokin - Varlamov

The thing that jumps out at me is that a single high-end winger would really help the roster (leaving aside the 2nd pair PMD that I think they really need...). Duclair was a positive add IMO, but I'd rather slot him in on the 2nd line and add some real quality to line 1. Engvall has had his moments and perhaps he will take a step up this year. Holmstrom is at the age where he could take a step forward (or not). Tsyplakov is a wild card. But if none of those guys surprise, wing is still an issue. And if JGP doesn't produce offense the scoring depth likely won't be great either (a very good 3rd line can alleviate the top 6 issues, but JGP's recent history makes that seem unlikely).

We talk about Pinto, but he doesn't solve the winger issue unless he slots in at 2C and Brock moves to LW (a possibility, of course).

Reactions: FoxYou727 and SI

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I have done the unthinkable.

1719943509822.png

SI

Feb 16, 2013
These are not proposed lines, but just to see where we stand right now roster-wise:

Duclair - Horvat - Barzal
Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
Lee - JGP - Holmstrom
MacLean - Cizikas - Tsyplakov
+Fasching, Wahlstrom, Iskhakov, Gauthier

Romanov - Dobson
Pelech - Pulock
Reilly - Mayfield
+Bolduc (depth callups Cholowski and Hutton?)

Sorokin - Varlamov

The thing that jumps out at me is that a single high-end winger would really help the roster (leaving aside the 2nd pair PMD that I think they really need...). Duclair was a positive add IMO, but I'd rather slot him in on the 2nd line and add some real quality to line 1. Engvall has had his moments and perhaps he will take a step up this year. Holmstrom is at the age where he could take a step forward (or not). Tsyplakov is a wild card. But if none of those guys surprise, wing is still an issue. And if JGP doesn't produce offense the scoring depth likely won't be great either (a very good 3rd line can alleviate the top 6 issues, but JGP's recent history makes that seem unlikely).

We talk about Pinto, but he doesn't solve the winger issue unless he slots in at 2C and Brock moves to LW (a possibility, of course).
DC, I have to disagree. I think Pinto allows the Roy to run out a top 9 5v5 that is really strong. Barzal - Horvat, Nelson - Palmieri, and Pinto- Duclair - Tsyplakov, Holmstrom, Lee or Engvall rounding out the top 9.

Pinto fits perfect on the PP 1 as an upgrade over Palmieri -

Pinto and Horvat play bumper depending on when the puck is on the left or right side halfwall - both are strong front net presence with Nelson and Barzal on the half wall. PP is a game of timing - IMO, handedness plays a big difference when u don’t have those high end snipers.

Puck on the left side -
Barzal (halfwall) and Pinto (down low) -having RH shooters, where they can protect the puck better as they play catch. Horvat Bumper and Nelson on the RW shooting a lot.

Puck on the right side
Nelson or Horvat can flip flop half wall and down low - creating movement and protecting the puck as left hand shooters. Barzal on LW sniper and Pinto in the bumper -

Puck to the point Pinto and Horvat in front -

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
DC, I have to disagree. I think Pinto allows the Roy to run out a top 9 5v5 that is really strong. Barzal - Horvat, Nelson - Palmieri, and Pinto- Duclair - Tsyplakov, Holmstrom, Lee or Engvall rounding out the top 9.

Pinto fits perfect on the PP 1 as an upgrade over Palmieri -

Pinto and Horvat play bumper depending on when the puck is on the left or right side halfwall - both are strong front net presence with Nelson and Barzal on the half wall. PP is a game of timing - IMO, handedness plays a big difference when u don’t have those high end snipers.

Puck on the left side -
Barzal (halfwall) and Pinto (down low) -having RH shooters, where they can protect the puck better as they play catch. Horvat Bumper and Nelson on the RW shooting a lot.

Puck on the right side
Nelson or Horvat can flip flop half wall and down low - creating movement and protecting the puck as left hand shooters. Barzal on LW sniper and Pinto in the bumper -

Puck to the point Pinto and Horvat in front -
Yeah, Pinto at 2C and moving Nelson to the wing is a possibility, and that would be a pretty good top 6 (assuming Pinto is the goods).

At this point I wonder what the true situation is with him and OTT though. Publicly anyway, the story is that Pinto has not demanded a trade. We don't know to what extent anything we're hearing is just posturing/negotiating publicly. Marner in TOR is a similar situation. We'll just have to see how it plays out. All I know is, if Pinto is dealt, based on past history (when we all really want a player and feel like we have a decent chance to be where he goes), he probably goes to the NYR. :shakehead

Reactions: JJ18Sniper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad