Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You realize Nashville has become somewhat of a destination similar to Vegas, Florida, Tampa, Dallas, etc. are because of the warmer weather, less taxes, and plenty of entertainment that appeals to the average hockey player.

The only attractive area of New York to the average hockey player is Manhattan.

When are you going to embrace that fact that this organization is what it is because it's none of what I mentioned above.

I don't even disagree with this analysis, but are you telling me if we went to 6M/year x 4 for Marchessault that he wouldn't come here? And if that's the case then this is even more of the reason that we need to put more of a priority on drafting. Because if we don't find some elite talent through the draft (or through trading better than Lou has been doing), then we're going to be a fringe playoff team until the wheels truly fall off due to age.

Because I can tell you this...Gumming up the cap with guys like Engvall and Duclair ain't getting you closer to a Cup. Lou has just got to stop with these shit signings - And I call them shit because they won't tangibly change the results on the ice...And if anything restrict real improvement when you're up against the cap every single season.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't even disagree with this analysis, but are you telling me if we went to 6M/year x 4 for Marchessault that he wouldn't come here? And if that's the case then this is even more of the reason that we need to put more of a priority on drafting. Because if we don't find some elite talent through the draft (or through trading better than Lou has been doing), then we're going to be a fringe playoff team until the wheels truly fall off due to age.

Because I can tell you this...Gumming up the cap with guys like Engvall and Duclair ain't getting you closer to a Cup. Lou has just got to stop with these shit signings - And I call them shit because they won't tangibly change the results on the ice...And if anything restrict real improvement when you're up against the cap every single season.

Marchessault isn't a guy that is going to turn this team into a cup contender so it'd be dumb to do that even if they had the space available.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
We have no money....not that I would want any of these guys. At this point Lou has to decide what he's doing with Pageau and Wally. I think he's trying to package them.....or at least I hope he is. Otherwise, we have our team going into this season unfortunately. I would have liked to see more youth and speed but it is what it is. For the record, Lee, Engvall, Pelech, Mayfield all need to be moved next offseason somehow. I think next offseason you'll see either 1 of (Nelson/Parms) moved too. I think to be honest Lou is going to re-sign Nelson, if I had to guess.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The Predators out here signing elite talent and we're celebrating potential salary dump trades and an AHL defensemen signing with other teams.

Lou treating us to another offseason of mediocrity, and way too many fans are tolerating it by focusing on other things and/or not having high enough standards for their GM.

"Anthony Duclair - Come get the Cup!"
Oh, so now it’s ok for a team to sign 34 and 35 year olds to 4 and 5 year deals?

The shelf life on those two deals is two years, then it’s downhill from there…quickly.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You realize Nashville has become somewhat of a destination similar to Vegas, Florida, Tampa, Dallas, etc. are because of the warmer weather, less taxes, and plenty of entertainment that appeals to the average hockey player.

The only attractive area of New York to the average hockey player is Manhattan.

When are you going to embrace that fact that this organization is what it is because it's none of what I mentioned above.
The isles probably sit 22-32 in terms of ranking on desireable teams to play for. NYR are probably top 5-7.

Cool, a big nothing burger.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We have no money....not that I would want any of these guys. At this point Lou has to decide what he's doing with Pageau and Wally. I think he's trying to package them.....or at least I hope he is. Otherwise, we have our team going into this season unfortunately. I would have liked to see more youth and speed but it is what it is. For the record, Lee, Engvall, Pelech, Mayfield all need to be moved next offseason somehow. I think next offseason you'll see either 1 of (Nelson/Parms) moved too. I think to be honest Lou is going to re-sign Nelson, if I had to guess.

Definitely don't have money but free agency is still interesting to me beyond the Islanders.

I really hope he doesn't re-sign Nelson, it's time to pivot.

Not surprising.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Allegedly Buffalo refuses to give term to anyone. One guy got 2 years. They are holding the door open on the GM - that’s wild.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
I agree, with this statement. Rather have 1 year of Skinner, give the young guys in Bridgeport another year to develop.
Develop in Bridgeport? That’s the worst environment in the whole league. You simply don’t develop in that team, your career is dying there.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Wish we could lose Fasching or Gauthier and add a fighter
I agree, we really don't have any toughness on this team anymore.

Develop in Bridgeport? That’s the worst environment in the whole league. You simply don’t develop in that team, your career is dying there.
Then trade them all of and don't have a minor league team or you bring in a coaching staff that will do that for us. At some point we have to bring in some young, good cheap talent....only way is through the draft and minors.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It doesn't even matter. Nashville was on the verge of rebuilding and now Trotz has pushed all the chips into the middle with these moves. Stamkos is 34, Marchessault is 33, O'Reilly is 33, Skjei is 30...when you take a look at the roster there are still issues and I'm not sure Stamkos or Marchessault will be as productive in Nashville as they were in Vegas and Tampa Bay.

They're a playoff team for sure but are they talented enough to win a cup as currently constructed? I'm not convinced of that.

We'll ignore any questions about that roster though because Trotz+activity=good. Lamoriello+anything other than resignation=bad.

You'll make the argument that simple to justify your point, but that's not the issue. Hell yeah the Preds have a flawed lineup, but here's the key...They're going for it the way you need to go for it - By making big swings. Other than the Horvat deal Lou seems to think "big swings" are overpaying for middle-level players.

And yet - Want to know who the real judge will be? Who does what on the ice next season. I only care about what other GMs are doing because it gives a good comparable of what Lou is not doing.

I'm just saying if a year from now the Isles are another 1st round exit, or miss the playoffs entirely, should it be "business as usual" for Lou in the summer of 2025? When does it end for you where he's not getitng it done and is replaced by someone who might?

If you haven't seen enough that's totally fine. Up to you. I have.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Marchessault isn't a guy that is going to turn this team into a cup contender so it'd be dumb to do that even if they had the space available.

Agree with this, but Marchessault moves the needle much more than Duclair does.

All that said...In your opinion what would "turn this team into a Cup contender?" Honestly would love to hear - The more specific the better.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It doesn't even matter. Nashville was on the verge of rebuilding and now Trotz has pushed all the chips into the middle with these moves. Stamkos is 34, Marchessault is 33, O'Reilly is 33, Skjei is 30...when you take a look at the roster there are still issues and I'm not sure Stamkos or Marchessault will be as productive in Nashville as they were in Vegas and Tampa Bay.

They're a playoff team for sure but are they talented enough to win a cup as currently constructed? I'm not convinced of that.

We'll ignore any questions about that roster though because Trotz+activity=good. Lamoriello+anything other than resignation=bad.
Trotz brought those guys in as a supporting cast for Forsberg/Josi/Saros who by the way are probably better than Barza/Dobson/Sorokin right now.

Not saying the Islanders should have done those deals (I don't think they shouldn't), just pointing out the real core of the team is not the bodies they added.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Whether anyone likes it or not, this year is a stepping stone for the next two. Only one "high end" player out there was worth what they got, at least for us, and he went to Tampa.

The blame game is as tiring as anything in the middle east....time to just move forward. Enough about the past.

Our two signings are perfect for the present and moving forward. I am sure there will yet be one more similar move, no mind blower but solid and that is fine.

Set the table for next year and hope we over perform....i am ok with that...entertain me.

I am not ok with the constant whining. ENOUGH!...really, get a life.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Agree with this, but Marchessault moves the needle much more than Duclair does.

All that said...In your opinion what would "turn this team into a Cup contender?" Honestly would love to hear - The more specific the better.
Marchassault and Stamkos were roommates back when Marchessault was with Tampa Bay. They connected yesterday over the phone and decided to sign in Nashville together.

For all we know, NYI had a a better offer on the table that he declined and they checked down to Duclair as their back up option.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I truly thought that this was the offseason that was going to change the Isles (For better or worse) I was wrong.

Like a few have said already basically the same thing except we kept our Top picks instead of trading them away.

We added a little more speed which will help but this roster is essentially waiting for the old guys to become older and slower and the middle aged to become old guys. It's basically a slow rebuild while putting fans in the seats. Not a recipe for success back in Lou's day and certainly not today.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I truly thought that this was the offseason that was going to change the Isles (For better or worse) I was wrong.

Like a few have said already basically the same thing except we kept our Top picks instead of trading them away.

We added a little more speed which will help but this roster is essentially waiting for the old guys to become older and slower and the middle aged to become old guys. It's basically a slow rebuild while putting fans in the seats. Not a recipe for success back in Lou's day and certainly not today.
While I wouldn't be surprised to see them pretty much done, there's still some trade options out there (Ehlers, Necas, Laine, Rossi, Frost, etc.), and we know Lou likes to do deals on random Tuesday's in August.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The Predators out here signing elite talent and we're celebrating potential salary dump trades and an AHL defensemen signing with other teams.

Lou treating us to another offseason of mediocrity, and way too many fans are tolerating it by focusing on other things and/or not having high enough standards for their GM.

"Anthony Duclair - Come get the Cup!"
And here I was thinking you might be happy these days since Lou kept the picks and used them to draft players. As you may recall, someone around here (name escapes me) was posting for months that there was no way in the world that the Isles were going to keep those picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad