Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
With the draft now over and our picks all used, I think it’s safe to say our roster is essentially set. I still think we may see JGP shipped out in a cap dump type of trade though (maybe him and a 2025 2nd for a 4th or something like that) which would open up some salary for a legitimate top six forward even after retaining our UFA’s/RFA’s. Someone like a DeBrusk or Duclair could fit in on the 1LW spot, both under 30 and are very safe bets to pot 20-25 even without time line minutes. I’d take either on reasonable deals. And of course Ehlers is still out there as an option as well. If we could come away with one of those three, I’d be more than happy with the offseason.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
trade for Marner. give him $10 per. trade Pelech, Engvall, and Mayfield.

what i would like to see.

Marner - Horvat - Barzal
Holmstrom - Nelson - Palmieri
Lee - Pageau - Tysplakov
Fashing - Cizikas - MacLean
Ishakov, UFA (Maroon?)

Romanov - Dobson
Reilly - Pulock
Bolduc - UFA (Kulikov?)
Bortuzzo/Tinordi

Sorokin, Varlamov

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Okay, so the Isles kept and used all of their picks. We've been reading all year that wasn't going to happen. We even made a deal to get an extra pick and used it.

Suppose they keep doing that every year. Keep and use all of their picks. As current player contracts end, they move out and are replaced by players that the team drafted. Maybe mix in a few trades (not giving up futures) and signings. Let's assume for argument's sake the team continues being a borderline playoff team and the team won't be a serious Cup contender for a few years, but you'd be looking at an 8 years timeline for a tear down rebuild anyway. Would people calling for a rebuild be okay with that, or is it only "we must stink and draft top 5 for a few years or bust" that works? Honestly just curious.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
So to me it looks like there are no takers on Pags....
Hopefully he turns it around and surprises us.
Since that wrist injury, he Ain't the same.

Anyone watch Lou’s media availability from today? What got into him…never seen him so chipper and transparent!
The Retirement Country Club Offered Permanent Early Bird Savings On Breakfasts to him I bet!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Okay, so the Isles kept and used all of their picks. We've been reading all year that wasn't going to happen. We even made a deal to get an extra pick and used it.

Suppose they keep doing that every year. Keep and use all of their picks. As current player contracts end, they move out and are replaced by players that the team drafted. Maybe mix in a few trades (not giving up futures) and signings. Let's assume for argument's sake the team continues being a borderline playoff team and the team won't be a serious Cup contender for a few years, but you'd be looking at an 8 years timeline for a tear down rebuild anyway. Would people calling for a rebuild be okay with that, or is it only "we must stink and draft top 5 for a few years or bust" that works? Honestly just curious.

The argument for the tear down approach is that it's the most surefire way to get the top tier elite talent like McDavid, but even with that it's never a guarantee.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
What were the parts that made you feel that.
You’d have to watch to really get a sense of it, but he was laughing and making lots of jokes with the reporters instead of being his usual stoic self. Also basically straight up said they’re shopping Wahlstrom and aren’t thinking about extending Nelson/Palmieri right now which is about as straightforward as we’ve seen him be in his tenure here. Just got a completely different vibe from this conference compared to his past ones.

Reactions: Lek and periferal

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I know there is a narrative that the Isles are one of the worst scoring teams in the NHL. But the Isles wound up with the 17th most goals, meaning there are 15 teams that scored less than the Isles. Finished tied for 10th in goals against despite a horrible season from Sorokin. 15th in power play %. Where they were REALLY bad was the penalty kill, dead last in the NHL. Which is weird, because it was a complete 180 from prior years, where the penalty kill was good and the power play was horrible.

I think a comeback season from Sorokin and improvements on the penalty kill can make the Isles an 100+ point team. Plus, I believe in Roy.
I've been screaming this from the mountaintops but all anyone wants are sexy top line forwards. If everything else remains the same and the PK goes from 32nd to 25th we're an 100 point team next season. If Sorokin gets back into form it'll be more than that.

I'm interested in seeing who takes over the PK next season as it's really the key to our success next season. Seems like Clutterbuck will be gone, likely replaced by Tsyplakov who PKed in the KHL. Statistically our worst PKer (and maybe the worst in the league) was Cizikas. I think he can be fixed, maybe by getting a new partner with him. He and Barzal seemed to click 5v5 towards the end of the year and Barzal always seems to up his game when given a new opportunity. I think his speed could help keep teams honest as well. Might be something to think about...

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I know there is a narrative that the Isles are one of the worst scoring teams in the NHL. But the Isles wound up with the 17th most goals, meaning there are 15 teams that scored less than the Isles. Finished tied for 10th in goals against despite a horrible season from Sorokin. 15th in power play %. Where they were REALLY bad was the penalty kill, dead last in the NHL. Which is weird, because it was a complete 180 from prior years, where the penalty kill was good and the power play was horrible.

I think a comeback season from Sorokin and improvements on the penalty kill can make the Isles an 100+ point team. Plus, I believe in Roy.
No. They were 22nd in GF last year in the league. That means they are bottom 1/3 which absolutely supports the narrative that they are a bad scoring team. That’s with Palms scoring 30 this year which IMO is a long shot for this upcoming year. I really hope Lou has a plan that is more then Sorokin will just be better…

Reactions: WangMustGo

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
No. They were 22nd in GF last year in the league. That means they are bottom 1/3 which absolutely supports the narrative that they are a bad scoring team. That’s with Palms scoring 30 this year which IMO is a long shot for this upcoming year. I really hope Lou has a plan that is more then Sorokin will just be better…
exactly, bottom third of the league in goals for, bottom half in goals against. I just don't see how fixing the PK alone moves the needle much for this team. This team needs top end talent(s) badly! I think there's legit arguments about how best to acquire top end talent; but it is clear as day that without an injection of top six F talent and top four D, this team will likely be a negative goal differential next year again, and struggling mightily to make the playoffs.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Happy with the draft selections, from my limited knowledge. Eiserman is very intriguing (doing a lot of research on him). He won’t help for at least 2 years.

With that said, I will not be happy if they ‘run it back.’ Another year of following a mediocre, inconsistent bubble team. Done that song and dance wayyy too many times. It’s choosing a course; one comprised of the murky, safe middle. Not an endearing one to this fan.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
What I would like to see -
Isles sign a F like Jeff Skinner or Viktor Arvidsson at 1 year between 3 - 4m- Duchene signed a 1 year 3m deal with Dallas.
I wonder if Skinner would sign with Isles. Arvidsson would be a great addition too. The magic number is 3m because at 3 -
LL could qualify Holmstrom at.875, sign 6th D and another cheap vet for under 1m.

On the blueline - I would not resign Reilly and try to sign Jake Bean who will most likely not be qualified or make a Wahlstrom for Heinola deal.

Forwards
  • Barzal - Horvat - Arvidsson or Skinner
  • Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
  • Lee - Pageau - Beauvillier or Atkinson
  • Holmstom - Cizikas - Tsyplakov
  • Fasching - Maclean
Blueline
  • Romanov - Dobson
  • Pelech - Pulock
  • Heinola or Bean - Mayfield
  • Bolduc
Goalie
  • Sorokin
  • Varlamov

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Was thinking the same thing. He was also pretty transparent and giving in depth answers and not the usually generic answers where we don’t find anything out.
Maybe he just woke up and realized this team has painted itself into a corner because of all the horrible contracts he gave out?

I see people are advocating trading players left and right to sort it out, but they somehow keep forgetting that these players (JGP, Palms, Lee, Nelson, Engvall, Pelech etc.) all have NTCs and NMCs, and they are all seasoned veterans with families, and thus not easy to move. Also, the teams who are willing to take on the likes of Lee or JGP in a hypothetical trade to get above the floor or something will be on the no trade lists.

I'm pretty sure Lou tried moving JGP at the draft but found out he would have to pay or take on a similar bad deal in return, and decided not to. There could be new openings once free agency opens and teams can have a better idea of what their roster is like, but don't get your hopes up.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Maybe he just woke up and realized this team has painted itself into a corner because of all the horrible contracts he gave out?

I see people are advocating trading players left and right to sort it out, but they somehow keep forgetting that these players (JGP, Palms, Lee, Nelson, Engvall, Pelech etc.) all have NTCs and NMCs, and they are all seasoned veterans with families, and thus not easy to move. Also, the teams who are willing to take on the likes of Lee or JGP in a hypothetical trade to get above the floor or something will be on the no trade lists.

I'm pretty sure Lou tried moving JGP at the draft but found out he would have to pay or take on a similar bad deal in return, and decided not to. There could be new openings once free agency opens and teams can have a better idea of what their roster is like, but don't get your hopes up.
Again, it takes a GM a whole lot more creative than Lou, and one that isn't so loyal to his players (to a fault).

I agree that both Pageau and Lee (especially) would be difficult to move, and that is why a more creative GM is needed.....because as hard as those two players would have been to deal (especially with our limited assets and the necessity of something needing to be added to them), teams would have lined up for both Nelson (especially) and Palmieri, with their expiring deals.

I doubt Lou even thought about moving his two expiring contracts, even though their values are at their highest with Brock having his third straight 33+ goal season (37G per 82) and Kyle reaching the 30 number for only the second time in his career (2015-16), even if both times it took him playing all 82 games to do it. Much easier to trade desirable players with MTC's than undesirable ones as well.

Moving those guys would have given the Islanders 11 million in cap space and the return probably would have been no less than a first round pick and some combination of a couple of 2nd rounders and good prospects; one very likely ready to contribute in 2024-25, or at least battle for a spot.

Lou would still likely do what he is going to do now anyway (re-signing Reilly, qualifying Holmstrom and trying to trade Wahlstrom) and the team would be sitting with 14-15 million in cap space.

1) Trade C Brock Nelson to ANY TEAM for a 1st round and 2nd round pick/prospect
2) Trade RW Kyle Palmieri to ANY TEAM for a 2nd round pick and another 3rd round pick/prospect

3) Trade acquired draft pick(s) to Winnipeg for C Rutger McGroarty (option)

Just using Hockey Trade Rumors and their predicted costs, you could have done this:

15. Vladimir Tarasenko / Seattle Kraken / 3 years, $5MM AAV

29. Anthony Duclair / Pittsburgh Penguins / 3 years, $3.75MM AAV

40. Erik Gustafsson / New York Islanders / 1 year, $1.5MM AAV

Could have gone many ways with the 4th addition and the obvious one on HTR is Arvidsson, but I am going with someone who was bought out prior to them making their list, who I think has to reset his market a little and signs for a little less

XX. Jeff Skinner / New York Islanders / 2 years, $3.5MM AAV

and yes, you would still have around 1-1.5 million left to get you another forward to help on the PK.

Hell, it you wanted even more punch- like someone mentioned before- and the Flames are serious about getting out from under Kadri's contract and are willing to eat 1.5/2 million per on his deal- they would probably take a JGP swap and it would cost us little cap wise. It is about the only way I am swallowing the last 3 years on his contract...but, let's say we just keep JGP. Depth galore, more youth, more scoring potential, better D depth, more assets, more options....

Now your forwards are:
  1. Barzal
  2. Nelson
  3. Tarasenko
  4. Duclair
  5. Skinner
  6. Lee
  7. Pageau
  8. Kaliyev (or whomever you trade Ollie for)
  9. Tsyplakov
  10. Cizikas
  11. Engvall
  12. Holmstrom
  13. MacLean
  14. (whatever PK guy you signed with remaining cap space)
  15. Fasching
And you now have McGroarty and possible another forward that you obtained in the Nelson/Palmieri trades as well as your own couple of rookies (Iskhakov, Maggio, etc) pushing for PT

Your Blueline:
  1. Dobson
  2. Pulock
  3. Romanov
  4. Pelech
  5. Mayfield
  6. Reilly
  7. Gustafsson
  8. Bolduc
And of course your two goalies....

But we have a GM who has absolutely no creativity and is too damn loyal, and that is a serious problem

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
But we have a GM who has absolutely no creativity and is too damn loyal, and that is a serious problem
Okay and i'll be very blunt

we aren't gonna move on from Lee because of cap hit and how he isnt exactly a sexy player to other teams (as in style of play)

We aren't gonna move Pelech or Pageau because we know one or the other can bounce back

Lamoriello HAS cut bait before. we know he can be loyal but he will cut ties if there is something wrong. Martin and Clutterbuck (maybe even Wahlstrom) aren't going to stick next season

IMO The islanders can just basically get Gustaffsson/resign Reilly, Lomberg, Trenin and call it an offseason. Hopefully they get a good PK coach and Sorokin bounces back. It isnt gonna be a wild offseason, but I think thats fine.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The argument for the tear down approach is that it's the most surefire way to get the top tier elite talent like McDavid, but even with that it's never a guarantee.
And I should have been clearer that I wasn't advocating that approach. But it's just an interesting question - what if they just do nothing, or next to nothing, and just use their picks and tweak the roster. It's actually not a terrible approach, but IMO it would require some activity to maximize asset value and try to gain some additional picks. So maybe sign a vet to a 1 year deal in the offseason for additional depth, with the idea the he or someone else could be traded at the TDL for a pick. And maybe instead of letting current players just walk away, deal them in their last year for assets. So, you might not be picking top 5, but you'd have extra picks to either use or combine to trade up (or trade for young players). And you have to figure that there could be years you're in the lottery, and maybe get lucky with ping-pong balls. Again, just for discussion - the "Do Nothing Rebuild". :laugh:

Reactions: NC 1972

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Okay and i'll be very blunt

we aren't gonna move on from Lee because of cap hit and how he isnt exactly a sexy player to other teams (as in style of play)

We aren't gonna move Pelech or Pageau because we know one or the other can bounce back

Lamoriello HAS cut bait before. we know he can be loyal but he will cut ties if there is something wrong. Martin and Clutterbuck (maybe even Wahlstrom) aren't going to stick next season

IMO The islanders can just basically get Gustaffsson/resign Reilly, Lomberg, Trenin and call it an offseason. Hopefully they get a good PK coach and Sorokin bounces back. It isnt gonna be a wild offseason, but I think thats fine.
Did you even read my post? Evidently not.

I dont have us getting rid of Lee or Pelech and don't even have us cutting ties with Pageau in my ending post (I do suggest a Kadri swap, but only if Calgary makes the salaries even)...

No "difficult" to be moved player was even mentioned...

I am fully aware Lou isn't going to be creative and what he is likely to do now- that is exactly my point.

We can agree to disagree on whether hoping Sorokin's bounce back and bringing the same guys back with a few tiny adds is "prefectly fine" lol

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Since when did the opportunity to improve next season's team end at the conclusion of the draft? The offseason has barely begun.

So far they've deepened their prospect pool without doing anything stupid -- a huge improvement from draft days of years past. Small victories.

My own thought has been that trading Palmieri is the most realistic thing Lou might pull off, and I don't see how the prospect of that happening has changed.

Reactions: Strummergas and SI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad