Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Well JJ has fixed the forwards.

Pretty sure he’s going to do something with the defense. We have like 8 guys signed so something has to give.

I wonder if he packages Kulak/Ceci cap hit plus future picks for someone like Parayko?

Reactions: stewy04

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Pretty sure he’s going to do something with the defense. We have like 8 guys signed so something has to give.

I wonder if he packages Kulak/Ceci cap hit plus future picks for someone like Parayko?
Ceci+ for Parayko would be great. The only issue with that though is we would have a ton of money locked in to our D-core once Bouch gets his raise next off-season.

Times like this, boy do I wish Darnell Nurse wasn't an Oiler.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Kulak+Ceci wouldn’t be enough cap going out to be able to add a guy making as much as Parayko.

Kulak+Ceci+McLeod wouldn’t even be enough out.

Unless of course the Oilers were also pulling some Kane LTIR shenanigans.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Kulak+Ceci wouldn’t be enough cap going out to be able to add a guy making as much as Parayko.

Kulak+Ceci+McLeod wouldn’t even be enough out.

Unless of course the Oilers were also pulling some Kane LTIR shenanigans.

Well sounds like Kane might go on LTIR based on JJ comments about his hip. I mean he has been injured. He didn’t play in the final. Peel indicated he was taking 8 injections a day to play.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well sounds like Kane might go on LTIR based on JJ comments about his hip. I mean he has been injured. He didn’t play in the final. Peel indicated he was taking 8 injections a day to play.

Kane on LTIR
Kulak+Ceci+futures for Parayko

Would leave you a little over $2M to re-sign both Holloway and Broberg and run 13F, 7D 2G

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Holloway-McLeod-Perry
Ryan

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Parayko
Broberg-Stetcher
Brown

Skinner
Pickard

Kane to LTIR

I’m on board. Someone just needs to convince St. Louis to trade us their best D-man for what amounts two two bottom pairing D-men and futures. There might be a hang up there.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Kane on LTIR
Kulak+Ceci+futures for Parayko

Would leave you a little over $2M to re-sign both Holloway and Broberg and run 13F, 7D 2G

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Holloway-McLeod-Perry
Ryan

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Parayko
Broberg-Stetcher
Brown

Skinner
Pickard

Kane to LTIR

I’m on board. Someone just needs to convince St. Louis to trade us their best D-man for what amounts two two bottom pairing D-men and futures. There might be a hang up there.

Real talk - if Jackson makes that happen I'm legit commissioning a statue.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Assuming the plan is to pull a Vegas and LTIR Kane, while starting the season with the current D:

One thing to keep in mind with the deadline is we can't accrue cap. So it'll be money in/money out. Which is still doable if we trade Ceci for someone with retention.

Already can't wait for puck drop. We are going on another run!

Reactions: 5Hollywood5

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Now can you ditch Ceci for a pick and convince Broberg/Holloway to take $845k?

1719917269954.png

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Now can you ditch Ceci for a pick and convince Broberg/Holloway to take $845k?

View attachment 891247
For as much fun as it is to speculate what else could be in the cards, I think this is the most likely scenario.

The Perry deal and the Brown deal are the two things that kind of befuddle me. Makes it hard to make everything fit for guys who don’t feel like they should be every day players.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I know a lot of people are thinking we should be done at forward, but I think we could stand to add an additional RW to contest Perry for his spot, I also don't think Perry at his age can take a full workload without it dragging his game down as we get latter into the season.

The guy I want is Radim Zohorna, huge body, skates well for his size, pretty skilled for a big man, possession driver, and notoriously inconsistent. With how old our group is though I think we can throw in a pet project for Gulutzan, he can share some starts with Perry and get rotated out when he falls in a rut.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Injuries + being out of shape when showing up to camp does not help.

I still like Kane though, he has that bite and swagger to his game, especially when he is on. If Kane is healthy, he is legit a difference maker come playoffs.

I just don't know how you can fit Kane here though with the Henrique signing now.

Move Mcleod and we still are not cap compliant. Move Ceci and we have a hole on defence.
Move Nurse and we have cap space to spend on the D. I can see it happening. JJ is a doer not a talker.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Just going to point out the remaining UFA center market is pretty trash IMO, the only one who is better than McLeod is Roslovic, who should cost a decent chunk more and is worse defensively and a lesser PK option.

Also while many know McLeod and Drai had a hugely crooked goal differential at 5 on 5 last season (73.7 GF% [14 GF 5 GA] in 186 mins), but the same was also true for Janmark (70 GF% [7 GF 3 GA] in 58 mins). While the sample sizes isn't large a McLeod + Janmark duo has the potential to be a dominant 4th line.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I know a lot of people are thinking we should be done at forward, but I think we could stand to add an additional RW to contest Perry for his spot, I also don't think Perry at his age can take a full workload without it dragging his game down as we get latter into the season.

The guy I want is Radim Zohorna, huge body, skates well for his size, pretty skilled for a big man, possession driver, and notoriously inconsistent. With how old our group is though I think we can throw in a pet project for Gulutzan, he can share some starts with Perry and get rotated out when he falls in a rut.

39 year old Corey Perry in his being slow and old is a better NHL player now that Zohorna has ever been. Perry as leadership and depth is just fine.

Reactions: Kolja

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Just watched the JJ presser in full.

Dude sounded and looked exhausted and annoyed that he had to waste time doing a presser lol.

Don’t worry JJ, Oilers fans appreciate what you did today.
Yeah, you can tell he doesn't like the media stuff and probably a big reason why he has no interest in the GM position.

Definitely a smart guy, confident. No bumbling and stumbling like Chiarelli and Holland.

Reactions: Cloned

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Add in Connor Brown and you get the 4 players for 11m. Again, nothing more than 2 year deals. Best UFA you can ask for.

100% agree.

And for anyone who wants to complain, it could be a whole lot worse.

I've just spent better part of the morning enjoying some serious schadenfreude on HFCanes. Carolina lost Pesce, Skeij, and Teravainen for nothing, salvaged only a 3rd rounder for Guenztal's negotiating rights (after giving up a substantial TDL package to get him), and just reupped Jordan Martinook for 3x3, who is an older, slower version of MacLeod. Absolutely disastrous FA day there.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Agree with you and @McFlyingV and echo that this is how I feel the top 6 will shake out as well. People will say Leon needs Skinner more for the goal scoring but agree that McDavid - Hyman's possession will work better to cover Skinner's defensive inefficiencies and I think that line becomes a battering ram of offense. They'll outscore every single match up.

While Nuge is not nearly the finisher, he will bring the two way game Leon needs and Arvidsson brings plenty of finish and both have enough playmaking ability to give Leon his looks as well. McDavid will love passing to both Skinner and Hyman, and will still have his own looks on the rush etc.

My one concern is that if Kane is done (LTIRetired) or traded, they will want to pick up a big body for the bottom 6 that can play up in the top 6 when needed. The tough D corps will help so that the top two lines don't get pushed around but having some beef up front is needed as well. Third line is fairly gritty but they won't be going out of their way to punish, they'll just hold their own. Top 6 will be okay with this but will miss Kane at times. Holloway might be able to push back a bit too, but he's still establishing himself so it's a lot to ask for a guy that's more like a Hyman in composure.
I agree that while yesterday was a great day for the club, they need more size up front and someone pretty snarly to handle some of the high stick artists.

Lavoie would fit that role but now with so many wingers in front of him it will be that much tougher to make the opening day roster and he's not waiver exempt so he probably goes to the waiver wire and awaits a claim.

The moves by Jackson yesterday warrant an "A" but somewhere in the not too distant future the Oilers need a young sniper on the rise (not necessarily Lavoie) and its tough to see one anywhere in the organization.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
For me Nashville had the best day, but I would say there is a case to be made that the Oilers were #2 in that respect. Not surprisingly, the Leafs are getting more praise from the media.

82 games is a long season and there are obviously still moves to be made across the League but as of today I would say that compared with the other top western teams the Oilers are the only one that is better right now than they were at the end of the year.

Vegas and Dallas for me have taken steps backwards. Pavelski had a tough playoffs but he will be a loss for the Stars. Now they do have young guys who can help up front so we will see. Their backend is arguably weaker. Vegas lost Marchessault and Stephenson with no one to replace them.

Vancouver lost Lindholm and added Debrusk. I think that is at the very best a wash. Though it is easy to argue that Lindholm has been the better player over the last 3 years. Their backend is probably worse. In any case, they seem to me to be the team prime for at least a small backslide.

PDL is an enigma but I don't see much improvement on LA. Maybe if Kuemper has a great year. But on the whole they still are led by aging vets.

Colorado did not do much. Nichushkin and Landeskog are both question marks. I also think that Winnipeg will have challenges matching last years performance.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
39 year old Corey Perry in his being slow and old is a better NHL player now that Zohorna has ever been. Perry as leadership and depth is just fine.
Better is irrelevant I pitched him as depth to reduce fatigue in a player who I don't think has the capacity at his age to play 100+ games in a season.

Our current depth chart is 14 forwards when we re-sign Holloway and most agree D. Ryan isn't quite NHL quality anymore and is more likely to be an AHL call-up and then we are over the cap, so my personal guess is Kane will be the one to go to get us under the cap which would put us at 12 NHL forwards.

Then you start talking about call-ups for the PB and I honestly don't see any of D. Ryan, J. Hamblin, R. Lavoie, or L. Pederson as good 13th forward options. In my mind D. Ryan is a passable 14th forward and the others feel more like 16th forward in the depth chart kind of quality. I'll say our AHL roster on the whole has below average forward quality in terms of forward depth, but above average quality in terms of d-man depth.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The next 2 deals, to really settle this team in.

To SJ: McLeod and Ceci

To EDM: Nico Sturm (4C)

Then

To ANA: Kane and a pick

To EDM: Ross Johnston (for toughness)
Maybe I'm crazy but I don't want to give up on McLeod yet especially not for a 4th liner. He didn't have a good playoff but size, speed, can score at a 3rd line clip, defensively sound most of the time, can PK.
Yeah, he's painfully soft at times and he gave away the puck too often in the playoffs but he's a good player generally and is still young. I think it would be a mistake to throw him away for virtually nothing.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maybe I'm crazy but I don't want to give up on McLeod yet especially not for a 4th liner. He didn't have a good playoff but size, speed, can score at a 3rd line clip, defensively sound most of the time, can PK.
Yeah, he's painfully soft at times and he gave away the puck too often in the playoffs but he's a good player generally and is still young. I think it would be a mistake to throw him away for virtually nothing.
I like McLeod too, but I think his offense falls off too much at center and it's way to structure the roster differently.

Better is irrelevant I pitched him as depth to reduce fatigue in a player who I don't think has the capacity at his age to play 100+ games in a season.

Our current depth chart is 14 forwards when we re-sign Holloway and most agree D. Ryan isn't quite NHL quality anymore and is more likely to be an AHL call-up and then we are over the cap, so my personal guess is Kane will be the one to go to get us under the cap which would put us at 12 NHL forwards.

Then you start talking about call-ups for the PB and I honestly don't see any of D. Ryan, J. Hamblin, R. Lavoie, or L. Pederson as good 13th forward options. In my mind D. Ryan is a passable 14th forward and the others feel more like 16th forward in the depth chart kind of quality. I'll say our AHL roster on the whole has below average forward quality in terms of forward depth, but above average quality in terms of d-man depth.
They have depth so he doesn't play everyday.

I really don't care about what you're pitching, you're complaining about an old guy and your solution is a non-NHL player, the Oilers have those, so it's fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad