Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Curious about others thoughts about 2 players for discussion purposes.

Duclair- UFA- has speed, some scoring touch and is a quality option on puckdoku.

Mangiapane- Under contract- has scored 35 in the past and MAY only cost a pick. Not sure about the cost as it has been discussed on HF as only a pick.

Gonna be a fun and crazy ride over the next few days with sweet Lou!
I’ve mentioned Duclair being someone I’d love to get since our offseason started, wouldn’t mind him at all at a reasonable price. Feel like he’s one of those guys who could hit career highs in the middle part of his career and he’s a very safe bet for 20+ goals. Could easily see him hitting 25+ with second line minutes plus PP time.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
For sure our disagreement lies only in the necessity to extend him, and I would rather see him walk then sign him to a 4-year extension that has him locked in for his age 34-37 seasons.

An easy pass for me, and yes with Barzal/Horvat signed for the next 6 years and both Cizikas and now MacLean locked up for 2 more years (and perhaps JGP himself still around for another season) when Nelson hits FA, the center position is not at an end all should he go look for some other idiot to give him a 4-year deal beginning with his age-34 season.

We should all be hoping that Lou isn't that idiot
And I'm not even saying it's necessary to extend him. I'm thinking Lou might feel that way though. They don't have a C in the pipeline. The big question is whether he thinks Barzal can move back to C. The easy solution would be to trade Nelson for a younger winger (or trade Nelson for futures that you flip for said younger winger). Then move Barzal back to C. I'm not sure Lou thinks that's an option. We'll see. But Lou seems to value continuity so much that he might not make the series of moves necessary to improve the team and maximize asset value.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
My lord, the SC champs had an opportunity to keep him and moved on from Duclair after seeing him in the playoffs. That’s all one needs to know about acquiring Duclair.

And if TB ain’t extending him…

He’s the official good player on bad team player.

Reactions: Potvottier

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
The isles are built as a 4 line team, just the bottom 2 lines have aged and injured out, so that needs to be refreshed.

The top forwards can’t carry the team, and they have been there best (as a team) when the scoring is distributed vs pushed into 2 lines, which is what has been happening the past two years.

Some more scoring would help, but in a more distributed fashion vs loading up one line. Absent a miracle of adding 3 strong top 6 forwards this summer, this is all the isles can do for a long time.

Goaltending, well, that’s tbd at this point. It will make or break the Isles season.
Defense can and should help create and facilitate offense too. But outside of Dobson, Reilly, and to an extent Pulock, the rest of the d corp is a hindrance to facilitating offense

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
I can’t help but have a thought in the back of my mind that the silence around Marner is because Lou is involved. I’m saying that a bit tongue in cheek, but it is odd how Marner should seemingly be the storyline of the offseason yet we’ve heard next to nothing other than minor/unsubstantiated rumors, and I just can’t imagine Toronto keeping him at this point. It feels a bit similar to Horvat in that there were rumors of him being moved for weeks or even months but there was no actual rumors or news, and then out of nowhere Lou makes a move for him.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
I can’t help but have a thought in the back of my mind that the silence around Marner is because Lou is involved. I’m saying that a bit tongue in cheek, but it is odd how Marner should seemingly be the storyline of the offseason yet we’ve heard next to nothing other than minor/unsubstantiated rumors, and I just can’t imagine Toronto keeping him at this point. It feels a bit similar to Horvat in that there were rumors of him being moved for weeks or even months but there was no actual rumors or news, and then out of nowhere Lou makes a move for him.
All I'll say is if Dobson is involved I'm going to take a bath with my favorite rubber ducky and toaster

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The Caps aren’t ready to start the rebuild yet.
How significant is it to a franchise to have a career player (Ovechkin) break the all-time goal scoring record in comparison to rebuilding for a better shot at a cup in the future?

My first and instinctual thought is rebuild and try to win a cup. But when you consider that they already won a cup recently and there is only one all-time goal scoring champ... 3-4 more years of mediocrity may actually be worthwhile in that particular circumstance.

Personally, I'm undecided.

Reactions: MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Imagine if Florida said the same about Verhaeghe?
There’s always edge cases to point to, but Duclair is pretty well settled. When your former GM that signed you twice wants to get rid of you bc of your playoff performance, that’s enough to work off of.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
How significant is it to a franchise to have a career player (Ovechkin) break the all-time goal scoring record in comparison to rebuilding for a better shot at a cup in the future?

My first and instinctual thought is rebuild and try to win a cup. But when you consider that they already won a cup recently and there is only one all-time goal scoring champ... 3-4 more years of mediocrity may actually be worthwhile in that particular circumstance.

Personally, I'm undecided.

When you have a top-10 player of all time on your roster then you should be going for it every year or you should trade him and start a rebuild.

Now why the Isles are still going all in with an aging roster who can barely make the playoffs and Trotz long gone is the nonsensical part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad