Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Don’t know how it would work cap wise, but my God I would love to add Marner. He’s a game breaking talent. Get him out of Toronto and sign him long term.
I don’t know how any of these proposed deals would work with our cap. Any salary coming in that isn’t a borderline entry level/vet min means salary has to go out. Isles have very little cap space to play with

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don’t know how any of these proposed deals would work with our cap. Any salary coming in that isn’t a borderline entry level/vet min means salary has to go out. Isles have very little cap space to play with
Isles need to move someone out if the player coming back is making >3.5-4.

OR they pay a third team to take on some of the cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: duster19

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Cap wise if you moved Pulock or Pelech in the trade for Marner (Obviously ++ as well) and than JGP in a separate trade that could help.

IMO Marner is a guy you do whatever you can to get.

Reactions: SI

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Well, here we are again. This is the night when we put out cookies and milk and when we wake up, we find a lump of coal in our stocking.
That’s actually Free Agency Day.

Ethan (The People’s Insider) making not so vague McGroarty/Ehlers hints. This dude has actually broken multiple things at this point

Is this guy in cahoots with IB?

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

SI

Feb 16, 2013
There is always a chance they keep the picks and restock and then LL tries to buy an under-the-radar UFA, like Arvidsson for under 4m and then bring back Beauvillier for cheap. It improves the roster, but maybe not by the fan base's expectations.

Last edited:

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Isles can't swing a deal for Ehlers without getting rid of someone else first. It would be beyond stupid to try and move Pageau after trading for Ehlers as they be dealing from a position of immense weakness.

Reactions: Potvottier

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
No, on that day we try to “Charlie Brown” kick the football. Not only does Lucy pull it, but we manage to kick ourselves in the nads.

EDIT: Or is it “ON” the nads! :dunno:

#LIgrammarProblems
Correct with Peanuts, but hitting refresh all day on UFA day always makes me think of Linus spending the night in the pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin.

FWIW, I remember in McGroarty's draft year reading his profile and really wanting the Isles to pick him and thinking he was totally a Lou/Isles kind of player. Lou likes a team full of former captains So, I would not be surprised to see us trade for him.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Cap wise if you moved Pulock or Pelech in the trade for Marner (Obviously ++ as well) and than JGP in a separate trade that could help.

IMO Marner is a guy you do whatever you can to get.
No.

Marner is going to want 12 million and if you extend him (and why trade for him even if you aren't) and even subtracting one of our top 4 defenseman (Pulock/Pelech) and assets we barely have any of...it DOES NOT put us in a good position for 2025....AT ALL.

You will have to pay your two young blueliners next season (even more so now since you just traded away one of your top4) and that is costing you minimum 14 million (Dobson 9 and Romanov 5) and you will be paying 45 million or so for JUST 6 forwards (Marner, Barzal, Horvat, Lee and Pageau), still have your two goalies making 11 and your two all but untradeable players (Engvall and Mayfield) and Cizikas making 9.

Do the math and that is 79 million (on what is supposed to be a 92 million cap) for just 13 players. THIRTEEN.

And that is assuming you filled out your roster this season with just 1-year contracts. You also just traded away more of the few assets you had just to get Marner. You now need a top4 defenseman and aside from the Marner-Horvat-Barzal dream line, you have basically nothing for your second line as Nelson and Palmieri are free-agents.

Yes, you could trade both Lee and Pageau now on their final years, but that is just two more guys you have to replace...

Get off the Marner train, he is a guy you trade for if we had some young TALENTED CHEAP FORWARDS on our roster and/or NO BAD CONTRACTS on our roster. We have none of the first and too many of the second....

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Wow Stamkos going to market per LeBrun. Still think he winds up staying in TB
Not a chance if he hits July 1st

Players like that are emotionally stubborn when they feel wronged; that's part of how they achieve greatness. He'll take less money than grovel.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Isles can't swing a deal for Ehlers without getting rid of someone else first. It would be beyond stupid to try and move Pageau after trading for Ehlers as they be dealing from a position of immense weakness.
I think they can but will put them at a disadvantage. I believe you can be over the cap in the off-season so they would have room to bring Ehlers in. How we every team would know they are over the cap and need to sign more players, so dumping cap would be expensive. You would think if they are going to pull an Ehlers trade that they would have discussed terms of a salary dump trade elsewhere.

Feels like a Bruin to me. Potentially a Ranger
Could be a red wing.

Reactions: SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think they can but will put them at a disadvantage. I believe you can be over the cap in the off-season so they would have room to bring Ehlers in. How we every team would know they are over the cap and need to sign more players, so dumping cap would be expensive. You would think if they are going to pull an Ehlers trade that they would have discussed terms of a salary dump trade elsewhere.

Could be a red wing.
Ideally, they will have some other move, whether retention, moving a player, or even parking some of the cap hit somewhere else.

Lou could have added another pick here -

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Ideally, they will have some other move, whether retention, moving a player, or even parking some of the cap hit somewhere else.

Lou could have added another pick here -

That’s a little too far for my liking.

Nashville is at 22. I’d drop two again for another extra second easily there.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Don’t know how it would work cap wise, but my God I would love to add Marner. He’s a game breaking talent. Get him out of Toronto and sign him long term.

Not sure people are aware all these "gamebreakers" wouldn't score at the same clip here.

Wow Stamkos going to market per LeBrun. Still think he winds up staying in TB

Remember when the Islanders were the "leaders" for Panarin.

Literally every single piece of news you read online you should assume was planted as a negotiating tactic (this extends way beyond sports).

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
That’s a little too far for my liking.

Nashville is at 22. I’d drop two again for another extra second easily there.
We add those two picks for sure if Lou doesn’t have the pick wrapped up in another deal. Moving from 18 to 26 for 2 seconds and a fifth would have been great for us, especially given the sweeteners we may require to move out contracts (look at Walman trade).

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Not sure people are aware all these "gamebreakers" wouldn't score at the same clip here.

Remember when the Islanders were the "leaders" for Panarin.

Literally every single piece of news you read online you should assume was planted as a negotiating tactic (this extends way beyond sports).

He doesn’t have to score at a 100 point pace here, adding another PPG player would be a big boost to the offense and the PP would be much improved as well. If at all feasible you make that move.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Who do you want so bad you wouldn't drop a bunch of spots?
Good question, I don't know anyone in particular to answer with confidence but I like Connelly, Hage, Somberg. My basis is reading multiple articles/blurbs that it's a top 20 draft. If we fall too far low they may miss a good prospect.
We add those two picks for sure if Lou doesn’t have the pick wrapped up in another deal. Moving from 18 to 26 for 2 seconds and a fifth would have been great for us, especially given the sweeteners we may require to move out contracts (look at Walman trade).
I'm curious to see how this shakes out but I think the Walman trade stands alone as a bad trade by the beloved Yzerman.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe

Could be a red wing.
I could see him going to play for Stevie Y and that MAY be a reason Wallman was moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad