Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm not trying to be an Ass or anything. I'm just saying

In that case, I say we talk non-stop about Lou and our beloved Isles making a deals for Matthews, TKachuk and maybe Maker

Because as much of a fantasy that is, that's the same as Lou admitting and breaking down team this offseason and trading Nelson and Parms.

I understand it's a "Fan" forum and people are going to bring up all sorts of options...I just think it's just a waste talking about it, IMO - Actually its more depressing consistently thinking about it. LOL

You say you don't understand by saying you understand, lol. It's only a waste of time for the people talking about it (but probably not) so you don't have to be one of them ;)

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
If you don’t spend/waste your time thinking about how the Islanders could be improved in the offseason and actually compete for the cup, then I envy you. I waste way too much time thinking about what moves would bring this team closer to being a contender; and wondering why our GM doesn’t seem to.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
You say you don't understand by saying you understand, lol. It's only a waste of time for the people talking about it (but probably not) so you don't have to be one of them ;)
As you can see I'm confused by all the talks of trading these guys...

Last edited:

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
What I fear the most from this offseason is ending up with even more long term, untradeable contracts. I'm 100% sure they will extend Nelson (5 years) early on in the summer, and if they add Ehlers for the 1st, there is no way Lou will not hand him a lovely 8 year extension too. Not to mention they will extend Dobson and Romanov to max term contracts as well, ensuring practically the whole team is on a deal that is neverending, with NTCs and NMCs galore.. Whoever replaces Lou in the future has one big horrible mess to clear.

Buying out Pageau makes no sense. He can be traded in a like for like deal so if nothing else, then they tried something different.

Reactions: Ishkabible

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Marek is talking about buying out Pageau. Makes no sense to me unless they really need like 2.75M. That probably wouldn’t even be enough to sign Pageau in FA. It makes no sense

He's just babbling.

Even the outsiders wonder about it all 'cause it look like somebody has to be moved, but it makes little sense to buy out this kind of contract and there's already precedence for dealing with such things differently, if worse comes to worse (but we never get to know if worse has come to worse).

Lou used picks to dish off Ladd and Bailey. That clearly is his favored route to buying someone out.

Last edited:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
trade your veterans on immovable contracts during their expiring contract seasons to get max value back instead of attaching picks to move them with 2 years left .

Tsyplakov and maybe a feisty free agent 4th liner might be the only new faces

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
@periferal. Sorry couldnt figure out how to quote a different post.

Yes i read all of that and of course i understand. I didnt say trading nelson was a bad idea. I said trading him now was.

Not to mention id need a new clever screen name.

But if trading Nelson isn't a bad idea...Then why would trading him now be? If you trade Nelson now it will net you probably 3 good assets while freeing up 6M in cap space (so you then don't have to waste yet more picks trading Lee or Pageau).

I think trading Nelson is almost necessary at this point because I'd rather let him walk for nothing then give out another "Lou special" and have the guy signed until like 39 at 8M a year.

So the second a good deal comes along (and I have to imagine offers have been made), you just have to deal him for the sake of the franchise.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Another year, another offseason where a fringe playoff team is probably going to waste more pick assets to free up cap space...Just to field another fringe playoff team next year.

Lou is the master of "Merry-go-round" GM'ing. It's when moves are being made, but you're actually going nowhere.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I agree with the ‘Re-Gurgitate.’ I keep reading the same narratives from the same posters.

And yet all of us pale in comparison to the master of regurgitation - The GM.

I agree with the ‘Re-Gurgitate.’ I keep reading the same narratives from the same posters.

And yet all of us pale in comparison to the master of regurgitation - The GM.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
But if trading Nelson isn't a bad idea...Then why would trading him now be? If you trade Nelson now it will net you probably 3 good assets while freeing up 6M in cap space (so you then don't have to waste yet more picks trading Lee or Pageau).

I think trading Nelson is almost necessary at this point because I'd rather let him walk for nothing then give out another "Lou special" and have the guy signed until like 39 at 8M a year.

So the second a good deal comes along (and I have to imagine offers have been made), you just have to deal him for the sake of the franchise.

Bc i want to add to nelsons 30 goals. Not replace it. I get your other points but im willing to wait until the deadline. Understandably they wouldnt get as much then but hopefully they arent in a position to sell.

If lou for some reason decides to add no one then yes he should trade nelson now.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I posted before half-jokingly that Lou will re-sign Nelson at 4 x $6.75M. We'll see what actually happens, maybe even within a week.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Marek is talking about buying out Pageau. Makes no sense to me unless they really need like 2.75M. That probably wouldn’t even be enough to sign Pageau in FA. It makes no sense
Agree. Isles don’t NEED the cap space to re-sign anyone. They could just leave everything as is… NOT that I want them to do so.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Did anyone see that the Wings traded Jake Walman and attached a 2nd round pick for future considerations?

WTF?

Walman was Seider’s d partner and played really well since becoming a Wing.

They should have just waived him - I’m sure someone would have claimed him - really strange move

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Did anyone see that the Wings traded Jake Walman and attached a 2nd round pick for future considerations?

WTF?

Walman was Seider’s d partner and played really well since becoming a Wing.

They should have just waived him - I’m sure someone would have claimed him - really strange move
Seems like maybe they needed cap space FAST.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Especially since eSJ had first priority on waivers.

I do wonder if NYI does a NyR Goodrow to see if they can move off Palmeri or Pageau if a team on their no trade list does really want them. Place them on waivers and if they get claimed by that club work out a side deal.

Better to get vets on 1/2 year deals than give a 33 year old Killorn 4 years at $25 mill for example.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Without a doubt, Nelson SHOULD be traded and we should look to get younger and faster and there isn't a single player who could bring back more that isnt an untouchable. Unfortunately, Lou is loyal to a fault and is our GM and I don't see him even capable of such outside the box thinking...

As a matter of fact, a different GM could really shake things up and be VERY ACTIVE this offseason; realizing that we cannot compete for the cup with just minor moves with our limited cap space.

And I will play fantasy land for a minute:

**Islanders trade LD Adam Pelech to the Toronto Maple Leafs for 2024 1st round pick (#23) and prospects in C Fraser Minten and LD Topi Niemala

If the Islanders are getting Pelech to waive his NTC then it is likely going to have to be for a trip home and as much as some here want that to be in a trade for Marner, they go a different route all together. Leafs get the defensive-first blueliner they desperately need in the deal who is locked up for the next 5 years

**Islanders trade C Brock Nelson to the Minnesota Wild for 2024 1st round pick (#13), LW/RW Marcus Johansson and prospect RW Danila Yurov

Nelson gets moved also closer to home as the Wild slot the veteran between Erikkson Ek and Rossi and the Islanders get a top wing prospect as well as the 13th overall pick in the draft. To fit Brock under their cap, they do ask the Islanders to take on the expiring contract of Johansson; which Lou reluctantly agrees to

**Islanders trade 2024 1st round picks (#20 and #23- TOR) and C Rusian Iskhakov to the Winnipeg Jets for LW Nikolaj Ehlers and prospect LW/C Rutger McGroarty

His third of six moves (counting his pre-Draft swap of picks), Lou adds his two forwards by trading two first round picks to Winnipeg for disgruntled RW/LW Ehlers (who has no desire to extend there) and prospect LW/C Rutger McGroarty

**Islanders trade 2024 2nd round pick (#61), 5th round pick and a 2025 1st rounder along with Jean-Gabriel Pageau ($400K retained) to the Ottawa Senators for LD Jakob Chychrun

Pageau returns home and Lou gets his Pelech replacement but Ottawa insists on the 25' first rounder (they lose their own because of the invalid Dadonov trade), a 2nd round pick as well as retention to make the salaries even

**Islanders trade RW Oliver Wahlstrom to the LA Kings for LW/RW Arthur Kaliyev

In his final trade, Lou ships Wahlstrom off for a similarly underperforming young player in Kaliyev

** Islanders sign RFA RW Simon Holmstrom to 2-year deal at $950K per
** Islanders sign RFA LW Arthur Kaliyev to a 2-year deal at $1 million per
** Islanders re-sign UFA LD Mike Reilly to a 3-year/$4 million deal
** Islanders sign UFA C/RW Jack Roslovic to a 4-year/$11 million deal
** Islanders sign UFA RW Vladimir Tarasenko to a 3-year/$14.25 million deal

** Islanders sign UFA D Derek Forbort to a 1-year/$900K deal

2024-25 New York Islanders

Ehlers (28)- Barzal (27)- Tarasenko
Lee- Horvat (29)- Palmieri
Kaliyev (23)- Roslovic (27)- Engvall (28)
MacLean (25)- Cizikas- Holmstrom (23)

Johansson- Tsyplakov (25)

Romanov (24)- Dobson (24)
Chychrun (26)- Pulock (29)
Reilly -Mayfield

Forbort

Sorokin (28)- Varlamov

Taxi- Fasching (28)/Bolduc (23)

Cap: $87.9 million

***Islanders draft RD Carter Yakemchuk with 13th overall selection
***Islanders draft RW Matvei Gridin with 54th overall selection

Top 15 Prospects (after offseason):
1. C/LW Rutger McGroarty
2. RD Carter Yakemchuk
3. RW Danila Yurov
4. C Fraser Minton
5. C Danny Nelson
6. RW Matvei Gridin
7. LD Calle Odelius
8. RW William Dufour
9. RD Topi Niemada
10. LW Alex Jeffries
11. RW Matthew Maggio
12. LW Quinn Finley
13. LD Isaiah George
14. G Henrik Tikkanen
15. C Justin Gil

No way in hell it happens, but it was fun lol

Last edited:
Reactions: YearlyLottery

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Bc i want to add to nelsons 30 goals. Not replace it. I get your other points but im willing to wait until the deadline. Understandably they wouldnt get as much then but hopefully they arent in a position to sell.

If lou for some reason decides to add no one then yes he should trade nelson now.

That's the thing...

How do you honestly propose we can ADD meaningful scoring without trading Nelson? Lou trades 1sts for middle/bottom 6 players and there isn't enough cap space to add an impact impact player which is what is truly needed.

This team needs a 1st line winger with 30-40 goal potential - Not another 3rd line grinder with <20 goal potential. Trading Nelson opens up so many more options for this offseason then running this entire average roster back for yet another team with like 1 average addition at forward.

This team is not winning a Cup as currently constructed...And that means with Nelson. If you want to get big results you need to make big moves. Bringing back the same group without at least one big move will have us losing in the 1st round again next spring (or maybe worse).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agree. Isles don’t NEED the cap space to re-sign anyone. They could just leave everything as is… NOT that I want them to do so.
You'd think that the 3 bad teams in Ana, SJ, Chi should be looking to add quality vets for low cost. I mean, waivers is an option if the player won't waive the MNTC to go there. $6.25 AAV for a 33 year old Killorn for 4 years is what it cost Ana for a veteran last season. Whether it's 2 years of Pageau or 1 of Palmeri, once clubs have their premium prospects on the roster, you need to support them.

SJ with Celebrini/Smith, Chi with Bedard, Ana with Carlsson/Gauthier need some help.

I mean Chicago just paid Foligno and Dickinson over $4 mill each for 2 seasons (ending with Bedard's elc) to keep them around.

Reactions: Potvottier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad