Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Pageau has value. Teams could use a gritty 3C who wins face offs and kills penalties.
Yes, but no team give up anything of value for him. It could well be we deal Pageau and a 2nd for dreadful player X + a 4th. The only this that matters is clearing cap space, so Lou can waste it on somebody else.

Personally I think trading Palmieri should really be explored. UFA in a year, 30 goal season, experienced vet, ticks a lot of boxes for teams who feel they are close.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
Yes, but no team give up anything of value for him. It could well be we deal Pageau and a 2nd for dreadful player X + a 4th. The only this that matters is clearing cap space, so Lou can waste it on somebody else.
Pageau + Wally + Van 2nd for a 4th

Or

Pageau + Bolduc to Nashville for Glass (Trotz loved both of them so it could happen)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I understand they have players in the pipeline but trading him for future considerations AND adding a sweetener - a 2nd no less when Goodrow was claimed at the same AAV and with an extra year seems - is bananas.

What is going on?

Well, we just have to assume Yzerman wanted Walman's contract gone.

And felt that was the quickest way possible.

Hard to imagine that it couldn't have been dealt with in another manner.

Then again, maybe Grier will throw Yzerman a bone with those future considerations later.

Reactions: Potvottier

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Pageau + Wally + Van 2nd for a 4th

Why not throw in Romanov while we're at it?

But to be fair, you're likely looking at the deal VAN just made with CHI and coming to this conclusion.

I hope Lou won't let anything come to that.

Pageau + Bolduc to Nashville for Glass (Trotz loved both of them so it could happen)

Whatever the move is, there is a good bit of logic in dealing with Trotz. Especially when it comes to the players he has worked with.

The question is whether there may be any lingering hard feelings between Trotz and Lou that we all don't know about.

It's theoretically possible and if so, could endanger any possible business between the clubs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glorydays22

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
If you cannot make the correct move this offseason- which whether people on here want to admit it or not is in fact moving Nelson- the absolute LAST THING anyone should want to happen is us extending him when he will be 34 years old when the 2025-26 campaign begins.

We have our own 34 year old, who if we are all being honest; would be the ideal player to trade this offseason, who turns that SAME AGE in a week and still has TWO YEARS left on his contract at the same rate some of you are hoping we extend Nelson for......FOUR MORE YEARS? And that other player is literally unmovable without either some serious retention AND/OR some serious assets being packaged with him.

No.

Should be (3) plans when it comes to Brock Nelson:

1) Trade NOW to get younger and faster with a really good return coming our way plus 6 million in cap savings

2) Keep and do not extend until late in the season (if we are still in it) or after and even then it should be for MAXIMUM 2 years

3) Keep and do not extend and trade for hopefully similar package at the deadline (if we are out of it)

Under no circumstances should it be extending him now.....period.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If you cannot make the correct move this offseason- which whether people on here want to admit it or not is in fact moving Nelson- the absolute LAST THING anyone should want to happen is us extending him when he will be 34 years old when the 2025-26 campaign begins.

We have our own 34 year old, who if we are all being honest; would be the ideal player to trade this offseason, who turns that SAME AGE in a week and still has TWO YEARS left on his contract at the same rate some of you are hoping we extend Nelson for......FOUR MORE YEARS? And that other player is literally unmovable without either some serious retention AND/OR some serious assets being packaged with him.

No.

Should be (3) plans when it comes to Brock Nelson:

1) Trade NOW to get younger and faster with a really good return coming our way plus 6 million in cap savings

2) Keep and do not extend until late in the season (if we are still in it) or after and even then it should be for MAXIMUM 2 years

3) Keep and do not extend and trade for hopefully similar package at the deadline (if we are out of it)

Under no circumstances should it be extending him now.....period.
There's what we would like to see happen, and there's what will probably happen. The Isles are offensively challenged, and Nelson was their leading goal-scorer last season. Lou/ownership is not rebuilding. So to trade Nelson would require a highly creative single move or a combination of moves to replace the offense lost if he left. And Lou has not displayed the inclination/ability to make that kind of move.

BTW, if Nelson doesn't get extended, then Lou isn't dealing him at the TDL unless the Isles are mathematically eliminated. So at that point he maybe decides to see what happens with UFA and maybe goes home to MIN. And have you looked at the Isles' pipeline at C lately? So yeah, it's a problem.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
There's what we would like to see happen, and there's what will probably happen. The Isles are offensively challenged, and Nelson was their leading goal-scorer last season. Lou/ownership is not rebuilding. So to trade Nelson would require a highly creative single move or a combination of moves to replace the offense lost if he left. And Lou has not displayed the inclination/ability to make that kind of move.

BTW, if Nelson doesn't get extended, then Lou isn't dealing him at the TDL unless the Isles are mathematically eliminated. So at that point he maybe decides to see what happens with UFA and maybe goes home to MIN. And have you looked at the Isles' pipeline at C lately? So yeah, it's a problem.
Sorry, we can agree to disagree.

Although we can agree that Lou is not even remotely capable of seeing what is best for the franchise long term, he also stubbornly doesn't care about it since he knows; just based on his age alone, that his days are numbered as an operating GM. And yes, that means the likelihood is Nelson will not be traded...but that doesn't mean you should extend him. He is going to stay in "compete now" mode even if it is simply not working with the same ol' gang....

I am totally confused on the highlighted part of your argument as though the two things are dependent upon each other. An extension (especially for 4 years) makes it LESS LIKELY you would even be able to move him anyway should we be out of it- and in my opinion that "likelihood" is a worse risk to take (by extending him) than the possibility of him going elsewhere in 2025. He will be 34 years old then and we should be able to find his replacement rather easily (and remember we have two centers basically locked up for the next half decade in Barzal/Horvat that can be the top two pivots if you have better wings)....

No, sorry it isn't the problem you seem to think it is. It does however become a MAJOR PROBLEM if you are stuck with another Lee-like contract at 7 million per for 4 more years with a player you are hoping is still even remotely as productive in his 34-37 years (slim to no chance)...

Don't do it Lou, please.....

Last edited:

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Find it hard to believe Lou does any major surgery when half the team is in Italy for Pulock's wedding.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The isles are built as a 4 line team, just the bottom 2 lines have aged and injured out, so that needs to be refreshed.

The top forwards can’t carry the team, and they have been there best (as a team) when the scoring is distributed vs pushed into 2 lines, which is what has been happening the past two years.

Some more scoring would help, but in a more distributed fashion vs loading up one line. Absent a miracle of adding 3 strong top 6 forwards this summer, this is all the isles can do for a long time.

Goaltending, well, that’s tbd at this point. It will make or break the Isles season.

Reactions: Lights911

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Personally I think trading Palmieri should really be explored. UFA in a year, 30 goal season, experienced vet, ticks a lot of boxes for teams who feel they are close.
His value is more towards a weaker team, not a top team due to the cap hit and the Isles probably not wanting to take back a contract/retain.

But, his 1/2 the league NTC limits those options.

If it came down to it, would the Isles just waive him and value the $5 mill cap savings as the ultimate benefit or do they feel that they should get something for him?

I think certain clubs need to get better for next season and grabbing guys with 1 or 2 seasons left is better than trying to convince FA to sign with a bad team and having to give out term/cap to do so.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Sorry, we can agree to disagree.

Although we can agree that Lou is not even remotely capable of seeing what is best for the franchise long term, he also stubbornly doesn't care about it since he knows; just based on his age alone, that his days are numbered as an operating GM. And yes, that means the likelihood is Nelson will not be traded...but that doesn't mean you should extend him. He is going to stay in "compete now" mode even if it is simply not working with the same ol' gang....

I am totally confused on the highlighted part of your argument as though the two things are dependent upon each other. An extension (especially for 4 years) makes it LESS LIKELY you would even be able to move him anyway should we be out of it- and in my opinion that "likelihood" is a worse risk to take (by extending him) than the possibility of him going elsewhere in 2025. He will be 34 years old then and we should be able to find his replacement rather easily (and remember we have two centers basically locked up for the next half decade in Barzal/Horvat that can be the top two pivots if you have better wings)....

No, sorry it isn't the problem you seem to think it is. It does however become a MAJOR PROBLEM if you are stuck with another Lee-like contract at 7 million per for 4 more years with a player you are hoping is still even remotely as productive in his 34-37 years (slim to no chance)...

Don't do it Lou, please.....
Again, I'm not saying keeping Nelson is what I would do. I would try to trade him. I'm talking only about what Lou would do. So not sure we disagree much.

And if Lou does not extend Nelson this summer, people have talked about maybe trading him at the TDL. I'm just saying that isn't going to happen unless the Isles are mathematically eliminated (or close to it). If they're 10 points out with 20 games to go, Lou will see the playoffs as a possibility and won't trade a scorer for picks. Then next summer maybe Nelson gets a nice offer from MIN and decides to go play at home. I guess we get cap space out of that, but we'd need it because there are no Cs in the pipeline. Or maybe Barzal moves back to C?

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Again, I'm not saying keeping Nelson is what I would do. I would try to trade him. I'm talking only about what Lou would do. So not sure we disagree much.

And if Lou does not extend Nelson this summer, people have talked about maybe trading him at the TDL. I'm just saying that isn't going to happen unless the Isles are mathematically eliminated (or close to it). If they're 10 points out with 20 games to go, Lou will see the playoffs as a possibility and won't trade a scorer for picks. Then next summer maybe Nelson gets a nice offer from MIN and decides to go play at home. I guess we get cap space out of that, but we'd need it because there are no Cs in the pipeline. Or maybe Barzal moves back to C?
For sure our disagreement lies only in the necessity to extend him, and I would rather see him walk then sign him to a 4-year extension that has him locked in for his age 34-37 seasons.

An easy pass for me, and yes with Barzal/Horvat signed for the next 6 years and both Cizikas and now MacLean locked up for 2 more years (and perhaps JGP himself still around for another season) when Nelson hits FA, the center position is not at an end all should he go look for some other idiot to give him a 4-year deal beginning with his age-34 season.

We should all be hoping that Lou isn't that idiot

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Curious about others thoughts about 2 players for discussion purposes.

Duclair- UFA- has speed, some scoring touch and is a quality option on puckdoku.

Mangiapane- Under contract- has scored 35 in the past and MAY only cost a pick. Not sure about the cost as it has been discussed on HF as only a pick.

Gonna be a fun and crazy ride over the next few days with sweet Lou!

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island

Duclair- UFA- has speed, some scoring touch and is a quality option on puckdoku.

Mangiapane- Under contract- has scored 35 in the past and MAY only cost a pick. Not sure about the cost as it has been discussed on HF as only a pick.

They’ve had so many opportunities to get Duclair for cheap and haven’t, I doubt they’re interested at this point.

Reactions: Tahoeblue

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011

A definite "NO" for me on Duclair -

I do like Mangiapane, depending on the cost.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
If that’s the case then it would’ve made a lot more sense to acquire him for a 3rd at the deadline to help down the stretch and re-up him instead of bidding through the UFA.
It would make a lot more sense to spend an asset on him than sign him for free? Only if you believe we were one Anthony Duclair away from the cup

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
Why not throw in Romanov while we're at it?

But to be fair, you're likely looking at the deal VAN just made with CHI and coming to this conclusion.

I hope Lou won't let anything come to that.

Whatever the move is, there is a good bit of logic in dealing with Trotz. Especially when it comes to the players he has worked with.

The question is whether there may be any lingering hard feelings between Trotz and Lou that we all don't know about.

It's theoretically possible and if so, could endanger any possible business between the clubs.
Yea I was looking at the Pageau trade as a comparison, although teams DID apparently call abt him at the deadline so maybe we can get it off for free

And while Trotz and Lou may have hard feelings towards each other, if he thinks the trade can improve the team it can happen. I suggested Glass since he can play C

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
It would make a lot more sense to spend an asset on him than sign him for free? Only if you believe we were one Anthony Duclair away from the cup
If they had interest it would’ve been much more in line with the org’s track record to trade for and extend him rather than bid against other teams in UFA- we all know how that goes in islanderland.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
They’ve had so many opportunities to get Duclair for cheap and haven’t, I doubt they’re interested at this point.
Big no on Mangiapane unless there is retention and even then not sure I would give up one of my 2nds for him. Even including his 35-goal campaign from 3 seasons ago he is a 22-24-46 (per82) guy over that time and a declining 16-27-43 over his last two and that is with his ice time going up. $5.8 million is a serious overpay even if it is an expiring contract. Pass

Duclair depends on the cost, as he has scored 100 points over his last two somewhat full seasons (including 55 goals in 147 games) has a 28-26-54 (per82) over the last three, playing less than Mangiapane. Unfortunately, his late season run with TB (8 goals and 15 points in 17 games) probably nets him a bigger contract than I am willing to pay. I would do 3/15 or 4/16 for him, but that probably doesnt get him inked

Neither are difference makers, certainly not worth one of our top picks and are pretty much what we already have loads of on the roster....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad