Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Well, that may be a "way", but if the team is making a trade to bring in a component that could be an upgrade on Pelech, then it actually needs to be a top 6 forward that is being brought in.

That need is far more pressing.

Also dunno if there's enough firepower in the asset department to bring in someone who could bring us more than Reilly did last season.

Something tells me Lou will want to see what Roy can do with Dobson, Romanov, Pelech, Pulock, and Mayfield.

The system is naturally not well-stocked and there's no blue-chipper we can all look forward to. Theoretically though, with Bolduc, Odelius, George, and Warren in the system, we're better off at LHD internally than anywhere else.

This said, with Salo already gone and Aho a likely walker, and Cholowski likely moving on from the farm team, the organization WILL need to add an LHD or two who could fill in at the NHL level on a whim's notice. I'm thinking of UFAs like Calle Rosen, Jacob MacDonald, Caleb Jones, or Robert Hagg.
If they're going to put together a package for Ehlers and McGroarty, I'd wonder what it would take to get Chychrun and Pinto?

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Of the rumors circulating?
Watch the playoffs, I hope to God Lou makes big changes not periferal nonsense
If his big swing is a wing? Better pay more get Tkachuk, then pay less for a lesser player

• Haha
Reactions: BelovedIsles

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Of the rumors circulating?
Watch the playoffs, I hope to God Lou makes big changes not periferal nonsense
If his big swing is a wing? Better pay more get Tkachuk, then pay less for a lesser player

If this is a spelling error....Then I could not agree with you more.

If it's not, well then....

• Haha
Reactions: LeapOnOver

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Bears repeating...

- Nelson brings no less in a trade than what we paid for Horvat. You're getting a younger established NHLer, basically a blue-chip prospect, and a 1st rounder. No less. Can't really see Lou moving him but if does, it certainly WON'T be for a late 20s NHLer who actually produces less than he does.
- You do not need to pay somebody to take Pageau, much less in the form of a top 64 pick. You may not get much of anything in return, but there will be enough teams out there who actually need a bit of contract to safely get to/hover around the cap floor and who could very much use his 3rd line checking role and locker room presence.

Find solace by reading the room better.
I wish I could be this optimistic about those returns - but I don’t see Nelson bringing back the same package as Horvat - who was younger and better at the time of the trade and it was at the trade deadline when prices are higher. I agree that Lou shouldn’t move him for much less than what you’ve suggested, I just have a hard time seeing that type of return for Nelson. Would be happy to be wrong about it obviously.
And Pageau, it’s tough to say. It just takes one GM to like what Pageau brings and make the move; but I sure wouldn’t be happy if I was a fan of another team and my team traded for Pageau without a decent sweetener attached to him. If Lou pulls off what you’ve suggested, I’ll be both surprised and impressed.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Can anyone tell me why we should trade Nelson? He's been our best goal scorer five seasons in a row and always seem to bring the goods when it matters the most.

Reactions: iggy

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
Can anyone tell me why we should trade Nelson? He's been our best goal scorer five seasons in a row and always seem to bring the goods when it matters the most.
I mean trading Nelson would indicate this team is entering a rebuild/retool. And at that point trade Pelech, Pulock and Palmieri than the next year Lee and Pageau and rebuild through free agency and use the assets from these trades to get young players

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Is McGoarty's Skating up to NHL speed and Quality?
I hear that's what's holding him back in Winnipeg's eyes..
Just do no want another Wahlstrom :rolleyes:
I read an article saying that he admitted it was his weakness, but worked with Barb Shaw (maybe not the right last name) 'the skating whisperer' and he's continually improving upon it. The kid started skating right after he learned to walk, so no idea why he's not a good skater.

Nelson is going to eventually start acting his age. I think management would move on and use that money on someone like Ehlers a bit younger and go back to Horvat and Barzal as the centers. Moving on from Nelson is not really a farfetched idea.

Reactions: Top Corner

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Here's a few reasons...

• Because we're not winning the Cup with him.
  • He's closer to the end of his prime than the beginning.
  • He's a UFA after this year.
  • We need to add more (young) talent..And multiple pieces that he'd bring back.
  • He's one of the few players/contracts that has any true value.

Plus it's a much better option than Lou giving him a 7 year deal next summer paying 8M a year until he's 39. But alas Lou is GM so count on Lou doing exactly that.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
He should start declining very soon - it’s the best time to profit of his past performance and not anchor ourselves to it.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
It very well may be the best time to move Nelson, but Lou isn't going to do it this offseason, so I dont know why people keep clamoring for it. He is obviously trying to add to the Top 6 as it is- and subtracting one of your only 4 (not to mention your most reliable scorer over the last 3 years with 107 goals in 234 games (37 per 82)) is being counter-productive.

It just isn't going to happen, so what we should be hoping for is if we are out of it come the deadline we can move him then- and Lou refrains from inking him to a long term deal when he is going to be 34 years old when the 2025-26 season kicks off.

Hoping for anything else but that seems almost meaningless when realizing who our GM is...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It very well may be the best time to move Nelson, but Lou isn't going to do it this offseason, so I dont know why people keep clamoring for it. He is obviously trying to add to the Top 6 as it is- and subtracting one of your only 4 (not to mention your most reliable scorer over the last 3 years with 107 goals in 234 games (37 per 82)) is being counter-productive.

It just isn't going to happen, so what we should be hoping for is if we are out of it come the deadline we can move him then- and Lou refrains from inking him to a long term deal when he is going to be 34 years old when the 2025-26 season kicks off.

Hoping for anything else but that seems almost meaningless when realizing who our GM is...
I could see Nelson being a trade deadline deal should the Isles be out of it by February. But I agree that Nelson will be in the opening night lineup.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Do we have absolute proof of that? Because I never saw a confirmed report of that.
I’m pretty sure it was reported by weekes or some outside source that the oilers wanted Varly and he didnt want to go to Edmonton. I’m almost positive it was when he was on an expiring contract before he was re-signed

Here they referred to Elliot Friedman.

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
I could see Nelson being a trade deadline deal should the Isles be out of it by February. But I agree that Nelson will be in the opening night lineup.
Agreed, however I do hope they’ll look into trading Palms this off-season instead of waiting til trade deadline (if this season doesn’t go well)

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Agreed, however I do hope they’ll look into trading Palms this off-season instead of waiting til trade deadline (if this season doesn’t go well)
A team that had to move Barzal over to wing because our team is full of non-top6ers at the position (Lee, Engvall, Holmstrom, etc) isn't about to trade one of the ones they do have- even as madly inconsistent Palms is (23G per 82 as an Islander).

Now if Lou can magically add two wings this offseason to add to the threesome of Horvat, Barzal and Nelson (a talk task indeed) and in doing so it means shipping off Kyle, then "maybe"....

Of course that too would still have someone you would rather not be in top6 (Lee, Engvall) or some hopes and dreams player (Typslakov, etc) filling it

It will be challenging enough if Lou is able to pull off adding one sure bet to the Top6, much less two (and if you trade Nelson or Palms you really need THREE)...

A better chance than Brock sure, but a microscopic reality at best...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I agree with this approach. Trading nelson now makes no sense. Theyre trying to get better.

It makes complete sense.

Trade him for assets, take a step back for a season, then use those assets to be better in the not so distant future. Running it back with this same group will lead to similar results and Nelson is so old that even if they did bring in a top tier talent he won't be around for longer than a run or two anyway. Use this as an opportunity to get younger.

Last edited:

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
If everything was perfect, I'd love for him to end his career on the Island. However, things are not perfect. No matter how much Lou denies it.

You can get such a good return for him. If he traded him this past deadline, the Islanders would've at least received a 1st. Now every day that passes, his value declines given he's at the end of his contract, and that he's older.

So, even if the Isles are out of the race, the best we can probably get is a 2nd and a '26 4th. It's not bad, but for someone like Nelson's recent production, you'd like to get more.

I just wish Lou would let go a little bit, and look to the future. I know he won't do it, since this is his last hurrah, but I'm tired of being held hostage as a fan to make a run at the playoffs, and then lose in 5 in the first round.

Reactions: periferal

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Because the team ain’t winning anyway, so assets and hopes and dreams are where people are most comfortable.

The Isles have been 22-25/32 teams in goal scoring since Lou took over. They were 8th under Dougie Weight, but that came with giving up nearly 300 GAs.

People want more scoring, however, the Isles under Lou are built on a committee approach.

Notably, the Isles have been a top 5-10 GA team…until last season where they ended up 18th. That’s a concern, especially with goaltending getting very expensive this year.

Reactions: periferal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad