Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
So far so good for Lou. Hopefully he can get Reilly in at a good rate. Maybe 3yr/2mil per. Also like to see another good low signing for the bottom 6/PK. I think a guy like Blackwell would look nice along side Mac and Zeek for the 4th line

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
So far so good for Lou. Hopefully he can get Reilly in at a good rate. Maybe 3yr/2mil per. Also like to see another good low signing for the bottom 6/PK. I think a guy like Blackwell would look nice along side Mac and Zeek for the 4th line

I'll let the offseason play out, but I'm not going to call it "good" at any point unless he adds 1 top end winger, and probably another solid defenseman.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I'll let the offseason play out, but I'm not going to call it "good" at any point unless he adds 1 top end winger, and probably another solid defenseman.

Any other than shipping out Pageau/Lee, grabbing a very good winger, and then replacing the defense they will likely have to deal for the winger is a failure of the offseason.

Also I should add on to your poster saying this offseason also has to include not signing guys like Rielly to insane deals.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
There is 5.8 in cap space right now -
Adding Reilly at <2
Holmstrom at .875
And Ehlers at 6 is possible

With using the extra 2nd to parking half of Ehlers cap hit to another team with cap space- like Montreal who will be using their LTIR.

Ehlers 3
Holmstrom .875
Reilly 1.75

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
There is 5.8 in cap space right now -
Adding Reilly at <2
Holmstrom at .875
And Ehlers at 6 is possible

With using the extra 2nd to parking half of Ehlers cap hit to another team with cap space- like Montreal who will be using their LTIR.

Ehlers 3
Holmstrom .875
Reilly 1.75

Long term they need to move out Pageau or Lee though. This would open up room for an additional move on top of all of these. They also need to sign Ishakov as well right?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Any other than shipping out Pageau/Lee, grabbing a very good winger, and then replacing the defense they will likely have to deal for the winger is a failure of the offseason.
Assuming NYI ship out JGP without retention, resign Reilly & Holmstrom for a combined 2,8M AAV, sign a depth RD, give Clutter the min at 1 year, and send Gauthier & Fasching to the AHL, NYI would have 7.3 million to spend on 3 forwards, 2 of which would be PKers, 1 of which would take a top-6 role. So, that means spending around 4.5 on the top-6 W, or using a depth option there until an opportunity mid-season arises.

NYI are simply not getting the top-flight winger without robbing Peter to pay Paul.

It's very difficult to plan. A player like Henrique makes sense because of versatility. If it's 1-2 years at 3-4MAAV, it's a good fit, because it also addresses the PK. If NYI can acquire a better top-6 option at the deadline, they can slide him down the lineup.

But the top-flight scoring winger really isn't in the cards without a major roster shakeup like a Lee, Pulock, or Pelech trade.

(Keep in mind that NYI will potentially have the ability to trade Palmieri out as an exp. contract at the deadline, which could make another move possible).

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Assuming NYI ship out JGP without retention, resign Reilly & Holmstrom for a combined 2,8M AAV, sign a depth RD, give Clutter the min at 1 year, and send Gauthier & Fasching to the AHL, NYI would have 7.3 million to spend on 3 forwards, 2 of which would be PKers, 1 of which would take a top-6 role. So, that means spending around 4.5 on the top-6 W, or using a depth option there until an opportunity mid-season arises.

NYI are simply not getting the top-flight winger without robbing Peter to pay Paul.

It's very difficult to plan. A player like Henrique makes sense because of versatility. If it's 1-2 years at 3-4MAAV, it's a good fit, because it also addresses the PK. If NYI can acquire a better top-6 option at the deadline, they can slide him down the lineup.

But the top-flight scoring winger really isn't in the cards without a major roster shakeup like a Lee, Pulock, or Pelech trade.

I think the correct move is to use all of the cap space to bring in 1 impact player rather than 2 sub par players. I think you have to roll the dice on 1 of 2 things this offseason:

- you bring in a discounted player like Laine/Ehlers/Zegras and hope they take the next step in blue and orange

-you pay a premium for a star player who is getting dealt for media reasons like Marner and use the additional 2nd to trade away Lee if needed.

If Lou does not clear cap space for a big move this season it is not because he is unable to, it is because he believes in the core.

Reactions: MJF

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think the correct move is to use all of the cap space to bring in 1 impact player rather than 2 sub par players. I think you have to roll the dice on 1 of 2 things this offseason:
I don't know what "all" means, but once Holmstrom is resigned, NYI have 10 forwards. If they send out JGP they have 9. So, they need two 4th liners, a 13th forward, and a top-6 forward. No matter how you slice it, the max you can afford approx 5.5M AAV. This isn't a question of priorities, it's reality.

The possibility is trading for someone like Ehlers remains. But it's is pointless for WPG to do this without getting a roster player in return (thinking we can acquire him without surrendering a D is wishful thinking), so that's in the roster shakeup category.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I don't know what "all" means, but once Holmstrom is resigned, NYI have 10 forwards. If they send out JGP they have 9. So, they need two 4th liners, a 13th forward, and a top-6 forward. No matter how you slice it, the max you can afford approx 5.5M AAV. This isn't a question of priorities, it's reality.

The possibility is trading for someone like Ehlers remains. But it's is pointless for WPG to do this without getting a roster player in return (thinking we can acquire him without surrendering a D is wishful thinking), so that's in the roster shakeup category.

Because you need to not only ship out Pageau but likely deal Lee or someone else in any trade you make. WPG may want Pulock for Ehlers but the more moves that happen this offseason the less likely that occurs.

Even if WPG wanted Pelech they likely have to add for him. Ehlers is not going to magically save this team and WPG has Kyle Connor coming up soon for an extension. So as much as they may want a middle pairing defenseman they have cap issues as well.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Long term they need to move out Pageau or Lee though. This would open up room for an additional move on top of all of these. They also need to sign Ishakov as well right?
But they do not need to do that this season - they kick can down the road for JGP and Lee who will both only 1 season left.

Iskhakov making the team? They qualify him and they stash him in the AHL - I do not believe he gets claimed

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
But they do not need to do that this season - they kick can down the road for JGP and Lee who will both only 1 season left.

Iskhakov making the team? They qualify him and they stash him in the AHL - I do not believe he gets claimed

They have another two seasons of watching Pageau and Lee. Pageau brought absolutely nothing to the table this season. Lee makes a couple million too much but should not stop the team from bringing someone else in. Ishakov will make the team this year. They should not risk him being claimed if he earns a spot. The only path forward for this roster is starting to allow some of their prospects like Ishakov who have done as much as possible down in the AHL to actually play in the NHL. Lou also threw away Durandeau for Thompson who showed nothing this season. I have been very unhappy with how Lou has treated the prospect playing time.

I just for the life of me cannot understand Pageau being on this team AGAIN when they could get rid of him.

Reactions: Ishkabible

SI

Feb 16, 2013

(Keep in mind that NYI will potentially have the ability to trade Palmieri out as an exp. contract at the deadline, which could make another move possible).
To explore your suggestion -

Moving JGP would give them 10.8 cap space. Fasching out gives them 11.575

Henrique at 3
Chychrun at 2.3 - 1st + and a 2nd to MTL to retain 50%
Holmstrom .875
Arvidsson 3.75
Clutterbuck at .775

SI

Feb 16, 2013
They have another two seasons of watching Pageau and Lee. Pageau brought absolutely nothing to the table this season. Lee makes a couple million too much but should not stop the team from bringing someone else in. Ishakov will make the team this year. They should not risk him being claimed if he earns a spot. The only path forward for this roster is starting to allow some of their prospects like Ishakov who have done as much as possible down in the AHL to actually play in the NHL. Lou also threw away Durandeau for Thompson who showed nothing this season. I have been very unhappy with how Lou has treated the prospect playing time.

I just for the life of me cannot understand Pageau being on this team AGAIN when they could get rid of him.
They have 2 season - this and next.

Not debating with you about JGP - Roy and LL may want to keep both players. If so, then I have suggestion on a route they can take.

With Goodrich pick up - there will absolutely be a market for JGP - maybe not a big return.

But they need a 3C and sacrificing C depth is always a risky move

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I feel like the only logical move left is to trade one of Lee or Pageau now, and then move on from there.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
They have 2 season - this and next.

Not batting with you about JGP - Roy and LL may want to keep both players. If so, then I have suggestion on a route they can take.

With Goodrich pick up - there will absolutely be a market for JGP - maybe not a big return.

But they need a 3C and sacrificing C depth is always a risky move

I understand your posts and mine is mostly coming from the frustration of believing Lou wants to run it back honestly.

Reactions: MJF and SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
We will see what he does in the next couple of days, but my gut is telling me he makes the deal for Ehlers and moves that extra pick to make it all fit under the cap. No one significant leaves the roster and depending on what he does with Reilly will determine Clutterbuck and Martin fate. Jake Bean will not be qualified and I can see him signing a 1 yr 1m and that might buy them a little space to bring those vets back.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Ideal Plan:
  1. Re-sign both RFA's in Holmstrom and Iskhakov to relatively cheap deals
  2. Trade Wahlstrom for a similar "change of scenery" underachieving former 1st round wing
  3. Trade JGP with no retention and attach just one of the 2nd round picks to create cap space
  4. A "hockey trade" that sends off Pelech/Pulock and adds top line winger and no real added cap space
  5. Bring back Reilly on a relatively cheap 2-year deal
  6. Add a veteran forward and defenseman to battle for 4th line/13th forward spot and 7th defenseman spots for the MINIMUM
  7. With about 8 million in cap space left, replace departing Pelech/Pulock with puck-moving young defenseman and a 3C, allowing Cizikas to move to 4th line
  8. Use 1st round pick if necessary to achieve #7

I dont even entertain trading Lee in the plan, as I think the chances of that are slim to none. Hell, I'd shit bricks for a week if Lou pulled off even half of the above 8.....

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Look, I'm a leaf fan and I come in peace. I am by no way saying you guys should trade Dobson for Marner (however it would make me very happy if it did happen.)

Obviously with this deal, if it were to happen. Is there a preferred contract you'd want to attach to the deal?

I've talked myself about JGP + Dobson but no idea if you guys consider Pageau that bad of a contract.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Look, I'm a leaf fan and I come in peace. I am by no way saying you guys should trade Dobson for Marner (however it would make me very happy if it did happen.)

Obviously with this deal, if it were to happen. Is there a preferred contract you'd want to attach to the deal?

I've talked myself about JGP + Dobson but no idea if you guys consider Pageau that bad of a contract.
I'd rather trade out Pageau and Holmstrom for Lilegjren and Robertson (or a prospect and Lilejgren)

isles need to get crafty, then again we dont exactly need a RHD. I just feel like everything is speculation.

Reactions: Tahoeblue

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018

I am sure you would love that trade too.

I doubt you will find very many peeps on this board however embracing that trade.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Ideal Plan:
  1. Re-sign both RFA's in Holmstrom and Iskhakov to relatively cheap deals
  2. Trade Wahlstrom for a similar "change of scenery" underachieving former 1st round wing
  3. Trade JGP with no retention and attach just one of the 2nd round picks to create cap space
  4. A "hockey trade" that sends off Pelech/Pulock and adds top line winger and no real added cap space
  5. Bring back Reilly on a relatively cheap 2-year deal
  6. Add a veteran forward and defenseman to battle for 4th line/13th forward spot and 7th defenseman spots for the MINIMUM
  7. With about 8 million in cap space left, replace departing Pelech/Pulock with puck-moving young defenseman and a 3C, allowing Cizikas to move to 4th line
  8. Use 1st round pick if necessary to achieve #7

I dont even entertain trading Lee in the plan, as I think the chances of that are slim to none. Hell, I'd shit bricks for a week if Lou pulled off even half of the above 8.....

Looks perfect to me. I will add that I would much rather move Pelech than Pulock. Top 4 RD are hard to come by and he seems to have some tread on his tires.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Islanders do have the parts to offersheet Necas btw, but I dont think Necas is a clean fit for the Islanders. Not the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad