Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Marner would be the best forward on like 20 teams in the league. Edmonton, Florida, Toronto, Colorado, Boston, Tampa, Vegas, Vancouver Rangers, and Devils all have a guy or two that you can definitely say is superior. But that leaves 2/3s of the league where he would come in and immediately be their best forward, including here. Some of you guys are doing some crazy mental gymnastics to justify not wanting him.

That also doesn’t mean it makes sense to trade Dobson for him. Two things can be true. But let’s not downplay a 100 point winger who plays 20+ mins a night because he *checks notes* has only scored 50 points in 57 playoff games.

Cool, well, believing that Chychrun is on the block bc they have too much money on LD is opposite what all the noise is: he does not want to resign in OTT and is nearing UFA.

So, he’s on the block to get value for a player that more likely than not will walk as a UFA. Trading for Pelech avoids that situation entirely and returns a signed player at the same spot.

Last I checked, OTT isn’t a hot bed for UFAs unless the market shuts you out (Tarasenko) and it’s a temporary holding pattern.
Ottawa has Sanderson and Chabot on the left side, it would be absolutely batshit crazy for them to trade for Pelech and if you take the time to talk to literally any Senators fan they will confirm that for you.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
You do not know hockey - your posts reek like you have never played the game.

Drive to the net, yes, but you realize this is the NHL and NOT shinny or a beer league, right?
His job is to gain the zone with his speed and puck possession skills - he would not survive under any coach if he was playing as selfishly as you are suggesting.

Barzal meh in the playoffs? 2 goals and 3 assists in 5 games played and one of those goals was a GW in double OT.
He was also second in the team in shots with 16. Barzal was NOT the issue in this playoffs or this season.

Maybe he should play that PP system you were touting - on how they should not play from the perimeter but play low - please explain I am intrigued.
He claims that Barzal is like Huberdeau or a perimeter player yet I've been able to see Barzal play phenomenal in the playoffs. He's a legit good player.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I dont see Lou adding Marner (and certainly not at the cost of Dobson) for the mere fact that is probably more than he is wanting to pay. Marner's camp is probably asking for 12+ and even if you get him for 11, that really ties up our 2024-25 cap. And I think we can all agree (including it being absolutely ridiculous to trade Noah for him) that we shouldn't make the trade unless an extension comes with it...

Just for 12 players (Barzal, Horvat, Marner, Lee, Engvall, Cizikas, Romanov, Dobson, Mayfield, Sorokin, Varlamov and one of Pelech/Pulock (assuming one is in the deal) is about 77 million.

Making Romanov (whose getting 5 million plus himself) part of the package instead doesn't really change things much either.

So, even if you are able to say that you fill your 4 bottom 6 spots (with Engvall/Cizikas) for a combined 5 million (which in itself would be totally out of character for Lou), get your third LD and 7th defenseman for 2 million (Reilly + prospect/vet) you would be at 84 million and only 18 players with a cap of an expected 92 million.

That leaves 8 million and it is assuming all three of Nelson, Palmieri and Pageau are no longer Islanders and it means you STILL need a top four defenseman joining Dobson and the two guys you didnt trade out of Adam, Ryan and Alex.

Plus your second line is basically empty except for Lee. "Maybe" you can off load him on his final year (good luck without retention or another high draft pick) but then you are needing a totally new second line (3 top 6ers) and your top 4 defenseman for a combined 15 million. A "good" second line center and top4 blueliner is costing you most of that by themselves and it leaves you peanuts to get two second line wingers.

With our current prospect pool it is a HUGE reach to suggest both or even one of those top 6 spots can be filled with a million dollar youngster.....

In other words, I pass...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tahoeblue

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I love a player that had 1 point in the first three playoff games…the isles were down 0-3 in the series.

Oh, but wait, he scores the game winner in game 4, since the next game the Isles were bounced 1-4.

Maybe deliver during games 1,2, and 3 vs putting up points where basically the odds, with limited exception, overwhelmingly favor the team down 0-3 loses the series 95% of the time.

So, thanks for the 5 points in 5 playoffs games, 4 of which when the team was down 0-3 and soon to be eliminated. Yippee.
He had 13 shots in games 1 to 3 - Freddy was standing on his head for those first 3 games.

Maty is not the only player on the team - they could solve Freddy and other things that we saw all season plagued them in the playoffs - like the PK.

But again - tell me about your ideas for the PP.

I dont see Lou adding Marner (and certainly not at the cost of Dobson) for the mere fact that is probably more than he is wanting to pay. Marner's camp is probably asking for 12+ and even if you get him for 11, that really ties up our 2024-25 cap. And I think we can all agree (including it being absolutely ridiculous to trade Noah for him) that we shouldn't make the trade unless an extension comes with it...

Just for 12 players (Barzal, Horvat, Marner, Lee, Engvall, Cizikas, Romanov, Dobson, Mayfield, Sorokin, Varlamov and one of Pelech/Pulock (assuming one is in the deal) is about 77 million.

Making Romanov (whose getting 5 million plus himself) part of the package instead doesn't really change things much either.

So, even if you are able to say that you fill your 4 bottom 6 spots (with Engvall/Cizikas) for a combined 5 million (which in itself would be totally out of character for Lou), get your third LD and 7th defenseman for 2 million (Reilly + prospect/vet) you would be at 84 million and only 18 players with a cap of an expected 92 million.

That leaves 8 million and it is assuming all three of Nelson, Palmieri and Pageau are no longer Islanders and it means you STILL need a top four defenseman joining Dobson and the two guys you didnt trade out of Adam, Ryan and Alex.

Plus your second line is basically empty except for Lee. "Maybe" you can off load him on his final year (good luck without retention or another high draft pick) but then you are needing a totally new second line (3 top 6ers) and your top 4 defenseman for a combined 15 million. A "good" second line center and top4 blueliner is costing you most of that by themselves and it leaves you peanuts to get two second line wingers.

With our current prospect pool it is a HUGE reach to suggest both or even one of those top 6 spots can be filled with a million dollar youngster.....

In other words, I pass...
Hey @SayItAintSoJohnny

You called it - a mulit year deal let's see what the AAV is.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
He had 13 shots in games 1 to 3 - Freddy was standing on his head for those first 3 games.

Maty is not the only player on the team - they could solve Freddy and other things that we saw all season plagued them in the playoffs - like the PK.

But again - tell me about your ideas for the PP.

Hey @SayItAintSoJohnny

You called it - a mulit year deal let's see what the AAV is.
Ya, but I didnt see the 3 years, so it could be closer to that million-dollar number. If it is that or anything lower then I like the deal.

I look at the outlandish Mayfield and Engvall extensions Lou handed out and it gives me serious pause though for sure...

Reactions: MJF

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
what SayItAintsoJohnny said its 100% right. even if the cap goes up, the Islanders probably dont want almost an EIGHT to a forward who goes ghost playoff time. Marner isnt worth it. Go small this offseason.

Reactions: MJF

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
First and Bahl for 35 year old Markstrom, who posted a .905 save% last season.

Not that we’d ever trade him, but it makes you wonder what Varly could get.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
First and Bahl for 35 year old Markstrom, who posted a .905 save% last season.

Not that we’d ever trade him, but it makes you wonder what Varly could get.
Bahl alone should have been fair compensation for an overpaid goalie who only had a flash of competence in Vancouver.

When you're desperate for a goalie you'll do strange things.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Ty Dellandrea just got traded for 2025 4th setting the bar for any Wahlstrom trade.

Dellandrea and Wahlstrom are both RFAs and have not lived up to their draft hopes.

Reactions: FoxYou727
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad