Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Why the heck would the Leafs trade Nylander, whom they just signed to a mega deal) for Pelech or Pulock?? The Islanders are dealing from a position of weakness in all these matters and probably the only players they can get their hands on are players on similarly or even worse deals, think Huberdeau or Kotkaniemi.

There is substantial work to be done this offseason, and something's gotta give, but I am 100% sure that Lou is not the guy to do it.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
@periferal you asked in the GDT what I would do. Here it is:

1.) trade Pageau for anything. After being a part of a pretty solid line in the postseason I do not believe he is seen as a wasteful contract around the league. It will be a major mistake to hold onto him.

2.) Clutterbuck, Martin, Bortuzzo can all walk. I would be fine if Clutterbuck came back on a league minimum deal to be a part of the fourth line.

3.) Once Toronto gets eliminated trade Ryan Pulock, Matthew Maggio, and a 2024 1st for Nylander. Be willing to add more if needed.

4.) Resign Oliver Wahlstrom (1 year $1 per) Mike Rielly (2 years $2 per), Kyle Maclean (2 years $1 per), and Ruslan Ishakov (1 year $1 per).

5.) Go get a smooth skating defenseman such as Erik Gustafsson on as cheap of a deal as possible. This was a major mistake not keeping him and the team has not replaced the offensive skating ability of Leddy and Toews.

This roster would be right around $87.75 million which should be below the cap next season. Here is your lineup:

Barzal-Horvat-Nylander
Lee-Nelson-Palmieri
Ishakov-Cizikas-Engvall
Gauthier-Maclean-Fasching
Wahlstrom

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Mayfield
Rielly-Bolduc/Gustafsson

Sorokin
Varlamov

6.) At the trade deadline you add on to the defensive side of the puck preferably with someone to be on the second pairing. Be willing to pivot from one of Palmieri or Nelson if it does not seem they are staying/their game dips. You can always use the assets to add elsewhere in the lineup. At least one of these guys will have to walk to make room for the Romanov/Dobson contracts in the offseason.

7.) If anyone expects a plan for the following offseason that is looking too far into the future. How will Ishakov look? Wahlstrom? Will Bolduc actually get to play? Will Engvall play under Roy like this a full year? Do we have a new fourth line? Did Pelech stay healthy? What about Mayfield? Things should be fluid for the following offseason.

This roster does not include more than two trades. Getting rid of Pageau for anything and then making a trade for Nylander. Does this win a Cup? Honestly I do not know. I do think this roster is building towards having an offense that is more in tune with the current NHL though. I also believe that the defense does need more speed. Pelech and Mayfield worry me as that would be the main hole I see in this roster. Go ahead and kill the post but let's discuss the actual moves and not "LOU WOULD NEVER DO THIS."

Did you drop Holmstrom into an active volcano? Kinda harsh if you did . . .

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
4.) Resign Oliver Wahlstrom (1 year $1 per) Mike Rielly (2 years $2 per), Kyle Maclean (2 years $1 per), and Ruslan Ishakov (1 year $1 per).
It would be great for the Isles from a cap perspective to sign 4 guys for less than the price of a beer, but I'm thinking they would not agree to that salary.

;)

Seriously though, unless Ish shows a lot more I'm not putting him above Holmstrom.

Reactions: periferal

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Did you drop Holmstrom into an active volcano? Kinda harsh if you did . . .

Oops. Guess Wahlstrom is gone.

It would be great for the Isles from a cap perspective to sign 4 guys for less than the price of a beer, but I'm thinking they would not agree to that salary.

;)

Seriously though, unless Ish shows a lot more I'm not putting him above Holmstrom.

Forgot Holmstrom to be honest. That being said what exactly are MacLean/Ishakov getting here? It ain't THAT much more. If MacLean is looking to be paid you let him walk. We should have learned out lesson about overpaying for bottom six guys. Ishakov has not shown nearly enough to get anything more than $1.5-$2.

Rielly? He was picked up off waivers. As much as I like him if he wants more than the $2 million I slotted him in for you get someone else.

None of the four players listed above should stop the organization from bringing in difference makers. In fact Lou signing bottom six players like this to more money than they deserve is what got the Islanders in situations like this to begin with.

MacLean and Ishakov both should not be making way more than Fasching. Fasching is making $775,000 and has actually shown more than Ishakov has for sure. MacLean deserves a bit more which he is getting.

STOP SIGNING BOTTOM SIX PLAYERS TO TERM AND MONEY!!!!

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Why the heck would the Leafs trade Nylander, whom they just signed to a mega deal) for Pelech or Pulock?? The Islanders are dealing from a position of weakness in all these matters and probably the only players they can get their hands on are players on similarly or even worse deals, think Huberdeau or Kotkaniemi.

There is substantial work to be done this offseason, and something's gotta give, but I am 100% sure that Lou is not the guy to do it.

Not once did I utter the name of Pelech in that deal AT ALL. I said Pulock + Maggio + 2024 1st. I also said if you need to add then you have to be willing to. Toronto is about to flame out again with that core and need a shake up. Also, I stated that it does not have to be Nylander but you have to target a team looking for a shake up as well.

Right handed defenseman who can play tough minutes and signed to a fair contract do not grow on trees. It is why you see so many of them signed to absurd deals.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
the whole league realized that Pelech is toast. you could get a bag of pucks for him at max and have to give a sweetener along with him in a trade
Pelech is not toast, that’s ridiculous. He isn’t same guy he was a few years ago but toast is pushing it. Maybe he never gets back to what he wa or maybe he does with full off-season of no injury.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Pelech is not toast, that’s ridiculous. He isn’t same guy he was a few years ago but toast is pushing it. Maybe he never gets back to what he wa or maybe he does with full off-season of no injury.
Just a couple of years ago, I thought he was in the top 20 Dmen across the league, a poor man’s Slavin.

He’s nowhere near that now but to say he’s finished and a liability is way off base. If the Isles consider moving him they’ll have no trouble getting assets back in return. It won’t be a haul but he’s still a solid #2LHD on a reasonable contract.

Reactions: Chockey22

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Oops. Guess Wahlstrom is gone.

Forgot Holmstrom to be honest. That being said what exactly are MacLean/Ishakov getting here? It ain't THAT much more. If MacLean is looking to be paid you let him walk. We should have learned out lesson about overpaying for bottom six guys. Ishakov has not shown nearly enough to get anything more than $1.5-$2.

Rielly? He was picked up off waivers. As much as I like him if he wants more than the $2 million I slotted him in for you get someone else.

None of the four players listed above should stop the organization from bringing in difference makers. In fact Lou signing bottom six players like this to more money than they deserve is what got the Islanders in situations like this to begin with.

MacLean and Ishakov both should not be making way more than Fasching. Fasching is making $775,000 and has actually shown more than Ishakov has for sure. MacLean deserves a bit more which he is getting.

STOP SIGNING BOTTOM SIX PLAYERS TO TERM AND MONEY!!!!
I'd give Reilly 3 years/2.5 per. He's 30 but has been excellent.

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Not once did I utter the name of Pelech in that deal AT ALL. I said Pulock + Maggio + 2024 1st. I also said if you need to add then you have to be willing to. Toronto is about to flame out again with that core and need a shake up. Also, I stated that it does not have to be Nylander but you have to target a team looking for a shake up as well.

Right handed defenseman who can play tough minutes and signed to a fair contract do not grow on trees. It is why you see so many of them signed to absurd deals.
It's also why we might want to hold on to him - it is so hard to find right D-men. In the scenario you've outlined, I'd rather Pelech be the one to be moved, as he is easier to replace either in-house, free agency or trade.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
It's also why we might want to hold on to him - it is so hard to find right D-men. In the scenario you've outlined, I'd rather Pelech be the one to be moved, as he is easier to replace either in-house, free agency or trade.

I would rather move Pelech but I am trying to be realistic in the sense that you won't be getting a game breaking talent for Pelech. Pulock is solid but he is not a game breaking talent. Even in the "dream" scenario I outlined it still needs the isles to make low cost high upside pickups.

Reactions: Glorydays22

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

Mitch Marner has paced for 100 points/82 games over his last three seasons. Gotta think it takes more than a 30 year old top 4 D and late first to get him. It would also require us moving out some salary as his is basically twice what Pulock’s is

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
@periferal you asked in the GDT what I would do. Here it is:

1.) trade Pageau for anything. After being a part of a pretty solid line in the postseason I do not believe he is seen as a wasteful contract around the league. It will be a major mistake to hold onto him.

2.) Clutterbuck, Martin, Bortuzzo can all walk. I would be fine if Clutterbuck came back on a league minimum deal to be a part of the fourth line.

3.) Once Toronto gets eliminated trade Ryan Pulock, Matthew Maggio, and a 2024 1st for Nylander. Be willing to add more if needed.

5.) Go get a smooth skating defenseman such as Erik Gustafsson on as cheap of a deal as possible. This was a major mistake not keeping him and the team has not replaced the offensive skating ability of Leddy and Toews.

This roster would be right around $87.75 million which should be below the cap next season. Here is your lineup:

Barzal-Horvat-Nylander
Lee-Nelson-Palmieri
Ishakov-Cizikas-Engvall
Gauthier-Maclean-Fasching
Wahlstrom

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Mayfield
Rielly-Bolduc/Gustafsson

Sorokin
Varlamov

6.) At the trade deadline you add on to the defensive side of the puck preferably with someone to be on the second pairing. Be willing to pivot from one of Palmieri or Nelson if it does not seem they are staying/their game dips. You can always use the assets to add elsewhere in the lineup. At least one of these guys will have to walk to make room for the Romanov/Dobson contracts in the offseason.

7.) If anyone expects a plan for the following offseason that is looking too far into the future. How will Ishakov look? Wahlstrom? Will Bolduc actually get to play? Will Engvall play under Roy like this a full year? Do we have a new fourth line? Did Pelech stay healthy? What about Mayfield? Things should be fluid for the following offseason.

This roster does not include more than two trades. Getting rid of Pageau for anything and then making a trade for Nylander. Does this win a Cup? Honestly I do not know. I do think this roster is building towards having an offense that is more in tune with the current NHL though. I also believe that the defense does need more speed. Pelech and Mayfield worry me as that would be the main hole I see in this roster. Go ahead and kill the post but let's discuss the actual moves and not "LOU WOULD NEVER DO THIS."

YL-

Thank you for this. So much respect for this post. My thoughts:

• Your best idea is also the most impossible - Nylander. Why in the world would Toronto trade him? They literally just gave him his long-term deal and he's worth it. And I'm not sure the Isles could even dream of getting Nylander unless Dobson was the starting point. I mean if the Isles had Nylander are you trading him for Pulock, a 1st, and anything else unless that anything else is a blue-chip prospect? I think you'd be disingenuous to say you would.
  • And this is the point...The Isles are desperate for ELITE talent, but elite talent so rarely gets traded (much less within a year of getting a long term deal).
  • And it took a 2nd rounder to get rid of Josh Bailey with 1 year left at 5M (and he had better stats his last year than Pageau did this year). Anytime a player has more than 1 year left until UFA the price goes up so probably would take mutiple picks to get rid of Pageau which restricts other neccessary move.
  • Not sure why Wahlstrom should even get a deal at this point. I think we have to admit he's a bust and move on. I'd actually rather give his money to Ishakov, but I'm high skeptical that he's a future NHL unfortunately.
  • Resigning Reilly I'm ok with (and I'm sure will happen for even more).
  • And all of your moves don't take into account that the Isles only have about 5.5M in cap space, and have to resign Holmstrom, so every 1M contract matters a lot.

End of day resigning/not resigning Reilly, Wahlstrom, Martin, Clutterbuck, Ishakov, Buortuzzo, etc is not going to move any needle one way or another. To really improve things around here you need impact players, but again those impact players are so rarely moved - Or the Isles don't have enough to even get them. Man I would have killed for the Isles to get Tkachuk 2 years back as he is exactly what is needed around here, but they couldn't compete with what Florida gave Calgary.

And this is why I keep coming back to...I don't see a path forward to contention without adding the kind of elite young talent that you almost certainly need to acquire through the draft. It doesn't even mean that you have to wait a few years for that talent to be NHL ready, but just to have 2-3 blue chip talents in our farm system will open up other trades that the Isles couldn't be in on right now.

Because I legit don't see a (worthy) "9 million + player" making his way to the Isles before the start of next season and without that (or even 2) this is basically the group that's going to be competing next season all over again. And while I'm all for letting things play out, let's be honest...You can predict where the 24-25 season is going to go if the Isles don't add notably more talent to the roster.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
YL-

Thank you for this. So much respect for this post. My thoughts:

• Your best idea is also the most impossible - Nylander. Why in the world would Toronto trade him? They literally just gave him his long-term deal and he's worth it. And I'm not sure the Isles could even dream of getting Nylander unless Dobson was the starting point. I mean if the Isles had Nylander are you trading him for Pulock, a 1st, and anything else unless that anything else is a blue-chip prospect? I think you'd be disingenuous to say you would.
  • And this is the point...The Isles are desperate for ELITE talent, but elite talent so rarely gets traded (much less within a year of getting a long term deal).
  • And it took a 2nd rounder to get rid of Josh Bailey with 1 year left at 5M (and he had better stats his last year than Pageau did this year). Anytime a player has more than 1 year left until UFA the price goes up so probably would take mutiple picks to get rid of Pageau which restricts other neccessary move.
  • Not sure why Wahlstrom should even get a deal at this point. I think we have to admit he's a bust and move on. I'd actually rather give his money to Ishakov, but I'm high skeptical that he's a future NHL unfortunately.
  • Resigning Reilly I'm ok with (and I'm sure will happen for even more).
  • And all of your moves don't take into account that the Isles only have about 5.5M in cap space, and have to resign Holmstrom, so every 1M contract matters a lot.

End of day resigning/not resigning Reilly, Wahlstrom, Martin, Clutterbuck, Ishakov, Buortuzzo, etc is not going to move any needle one way or another. To really improve things around here you need impact players, but again those impact players are so rarely moved - Or the Isles don't have enough to even get them. Man I would have killed for the Isles to get Tkachuk 2 years back as he is exactly what is needed around here, but they couldn't compete with what Florida gave Calgary.

And this is why I keep coming back to...I don't see a path forward to contention without adding the kind of elite young talent that you almost certainly need to acquire through the draft. It doesn't even mean that you have to wait a few years for that talent to be NHL ready, but just to have 2-3 blue chip talents in our farm system will open up other trades that the Isles couldn't be in on right now.

Because I legit don't see a (worthy) "9 million + player" making his way to the Isles before the start of next season and without that (or even 2) this is basically the group that's going to be competing next season all over again. And while I'm all for letting things play out, let's be honest...You can predict where the 24-25 season is going to go if the Isles don't add notably more talent to the roster.

After watching the Toronto game last night my focus would shift to Marner if I am Lou. I think there is something there. Would I trade Romanov in a make believe deal for Marner instead of Pulock? Yes. My thought process is if Toronto trades for Marner they HAVE to trade him for a defenseman right? A right handed defenseman on a good contract in Pulock would make sense in my opinion. Especially if Marner gets the Toronto dip (similar to Phil getting dealt for a shit return).

- Bailey was done when he was dealt and had to end up retiring essentially. Pageau on the other hand just score a huge goal in the playoffs for us. I think they are at two different parts of their careers.

- I would not keep Wahlstrom since I forgot about Holmstrom.

- Isles have the 5.5 in cap space however with my moves they would free up the 5 from Pageau and we are assuming for roughly 5 million added in cap space this season up to 87.75.

- I wonder if WPG gets eliminated round one if they would be willing to deal a player like Ehlers. Not elite but he is a damn good player.

You keep bringing up elite talent. The overall premise of my post was that this team needs another elite talent. They also need to find a way to clear cap space. A step forward this offseason could be to find a way to move on from Pageau, trade Pelech for an Ehlers type of skill level at forward, and actually keep the first round pick (or trade down an accumulate more draft picks). The idea should also be on the table that if the value is there in a Palmieri or Nelson offer this offseason to gun for it if you can get 2-3 young pieces in return assuming one of them can slot in this season. Is Trevor Zegras available in Anaheim?

Love Nelson but WPG is not doubting the PLD trade for a second. The blueprint for the Isles is the most difficult and that is the path of the Dallas Stars. After giving out huge contracts to Benn and Seguin they drafted insanely well and made key free agent pickups like Pavelski and Duchene in recent years. Passing on Duchene for keeping Mayfield and Engvall made no sense. Not getting Bertuzzi/Domi and bringing all these guys back made no sense.

At the end of the day ownership needs to sit down with Lou and see what he is honestly thinking, if he would be open to being more of a president rather than GM, and what HIS plan is. Because if it is running it back then he can run his ass to retirement.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Yes but I am a MOD so naturally he was speaking to me.
1714353473583.png

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
After watching the Toronto game last night my focus would shift to Marner if I am Lou. I think there is something there. Would I trade Romanov in a make believe deal for Marner instead of Pulock? Yes. My thought process is if Toronto trades for Marner they HAVE to trade him for a defenseman right? A right handed defenseman on a good contract in Pulock would make sense in my opinion. Especially if Marner gets the Toronto dip (similar to Phil getting dealt for a shit return).

Marner has a NMC and only 2 years left so he's going nowhere and also not worth what we'd have to give up.

You keep bringing up elite talent. The overall premise of my post was that this team needs another elite talent. They also need to find a way to clear cap space.

Agree.

A step forward this offseason could be to find a way to move on from Pageau,

Agree, but you'd basically be dumping him if you could find a trade partner. Something realistic would be dumping Pageau's 5M for a lesser talented guy making like 2.5-3 so the other team is incentivized to do so. You may not get the full 5M in cap space, but 2-3 million would help.

trade Pelech for an Ehlers type of skill level at forward,

How in the world are you trading a fading Pelech, and his 5.75M cap hit through 2029, for anything of value - Much less anything near the talent of Ehlers?

*You're not. We're stuck with Pelech.

and actually keep the first round pick (or trade down an accumulate more draft picks).

Yes - Please keep the draft pick AND ACTUALLY HIT ON IT.

The ONLY way you trade a 1st going forward is if it's part of a deal for someone better and younger than Horvat.

The idea should also be on the table that if the value is there in a Palmieri or Nelson offer this offseason to gun for it if you can get 2-3 young pieces in return assuming one of them can slot in this season.

Palmieri and Nelson should be on the table 100%. They have value and their best hockey is behind them. No reason to watch a fringe playoff team at best let the few players they can trade lose their value or simply walk as UFAs in the next 2 years.

Is Trevor Zegras available in Anaheim?

I'm thinking yes, but not sure we want him. Price will be high and he's looking to be a head case.

Love Nelson but WPG is not doubting the PLD trade for a second. The blueprint for the Isles is the most difficult and that is the path of the Dallas Stars. After giving out huge contracts to Benn and Seguin they drafted insanely well and made key free agent pickups like Pavelski and Duchene in recent years.

Drafted insanely well. This is everything.

And I was dying for Pavelski when he was a UFA a few years back. Not sure why that was never an option (probably because he didn't want to come here), but a big/sad miss.

Passing on Duchene for keeping Mayfield and Engvall made no sense. Not getting Bertuzzi/Domi and bringing all these guys back made no sense.

Bingo. Exactly on point. Lou should not spend money at all as opposed to giving multiple bottom 6 talents contracts that total up to ~10 million a year.

This is one of the places he's failed. Save the cap space for top talent - Not the Engvalls of the world.

At the end of the day ownership needs to sit down with Lou and see what he is honestly thinking, if he would be open to being more of a president rather than GM, and what HIS plan is. Because if it is running it back then he can run his ass to retirement.

Yes - I pray that Malkin sits down with Lou and puts the screws to him. This team is bleeding it's way to a Bermuda Triangle of mediocrity, and if Lou doesn't change his ways, or Malkin doesn't fire him, it's going to add years and years to the pain we're going to face in the very near future.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Mitch Marner has paced for 100 points/82 games over his last three seasons. Gotta think it takes more than a 30 year old top 4 D and late first to get him. It would also require us moving out some salary as his is basically twice what Pulock’s is
I wouldn't want Marner...He's got 1 more year before he's a UFA and he's a loser and cry baby. Even his teammates know this.

Reactions: Throttle

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Marner has a NMC and only 2 years left so he's going nowhere and also not worth what we'd have to give up.

Agree.

Agree, but you'd basically be dumping him if you could find a trade partner. Something realistic would be dumping Pageau's 5M for a lesser talented guy making like 2.5-3 so the other team is incentivized to do so. You may not get the full 5M in cap space, but 2-3 million would help.

How in the world are you trading a fading Pelech, and his 5.75M cap hit through 2029, for anything of value - Much less anything near the talent of Ehlers?

*You're not. We're stuck with Pelech.

Yes - Please keep the draft pick AND ACTUALLY HIT ON IT.

The ONLY way you trade a 1st going forward is if it's part of a deal for someone better and younger than Horvat.

Palmieri and Nelson should be on the table 100%. They have value and their best hockey is behind them. No reason to watch a fringe playoff team at best let the few players they can trade lose their value or simply walk as UFAs in the next 2 years.

I'm thinking yes, but not sure we want him. Price will be high and he's looking to be a head case.

Drafted insanely well. This is everything.

And I was dying for Pavelski when he was a UFA a few years back. Not sure why that was never an option (probably because he didn't want to come here), but a big/sad miss.

Bingo. Exactly on point. Lou should not spend money at all as opposed to giving multiple bottom 6 talents contracts that total up to ~10 million a year.

This is one of the places he's failed. Save the cap space for top talent - Not the Engvalls of the world.

Yes - I pray that Malkin sits down with Lou and puts the screws to him. This team is bleeding it's way to a Bermuda Triangle of mediocrity, and if Lou doesn't change his ways, or Malkin doesn't fire him, it's going to add years and years to the pain we're going to face in the very near future.

We agree on a lot of points here. I do disagree with you on the value of Pelech/Pulock around the NHL though. Which for that only time will tell. I hope as we head into the offseason and the rest of playoffs we can continue to have discussions with some actual substance like this.

Reactions: periferal

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I think that Marner's value MIGHT be a little less this morning . . . just a hunch :sarcasm:

Quadrophenia was a fun watch; Love Reign O'Me one of my Top 5 songs. Got to see The Who three times . . . to me the best rock group of them all

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

The only possibility I see about Marner is if Lou has better insight into Marner than the Toronto beat reporters, who are ready to send Marner to the International Space Station this morning.

I can not remember the last time I saw a frenzy like this over a player in a playoff game. And remember that Marner is rumored to want a big raise (some have mentioned $13 million+!).

How much of this is the media up there (30 beat writers???) and how much is we finally got to see the dynamic inside the locker room is TBD.

Reactions: Potvottier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad