Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Got news for you (which really isn't news)...

Wally with ANYONE won't work.

Just devastating to only make use of 3 first rounders in a 6-year period, all 3 within the first two years, and have the one guy taken to score goals turn into an absolute nothingburger.

It would hurt any team to determine that he really isn't anything other than a lower line player.

But he's not even that.

He just doesn't exist out there. There's not a single thing he's doing that countless current AHLers couldn't do too.

Not a thing.

And the one thing he has that the majority of those countless AHLers don't is a shot. When the hell was the last time he put a puck on goal???

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
And the one thing he has that the majority of those countless AHLers don't is a shot. When the hell was the last time he put a puck on goal???
I feel bad for him. I don't know why it is, but he looks like he simply can't do it. Maybe if he was a very smart player to begin with he could adjust for what he can't seem to do right now, but we've known for a while that he isn't.

And I'm not saying that it will come to it, but Romanov (one of those 1sts) is worth a goal scorer right now.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Just devastating to only make use of 3 first rounders in a 6-year period, all 3 within the first two years, and have the one guy taken to score goals turn into an absolute nothingburger.

It would hurt any team to determine that he really isn't anything other than a lower line player.

But he's not even that.

He just doesn't exist out there. There's not a single thing he's doing that countless current AHLers couldn't do too.

Not a thing.

Dobson becoming star helps offset that draft. Wahlstrom for a kid who supposedly can score hasn’t scored since junior UsA team days. He didn’t score in his year in college and didn’t in AHL and hasn’t in NHL either. It’s funny cause he is big kid, he has shown some willingness now and then to hit snd fight I’m surprised no veteran in that room has told him to embrace that type of role and reinvent himself somewhat. Maybe he’s resistant to thst also but he will be playing in KHL next year I bet.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

But he's not even that.

Not a thing.

Last 10 games played, 9 shots.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site

But he's not even that.

Not a thing.

He has certainly regressed since his debut and each year you can see that the skating before or after injury was not going to cut it if he can't get open to get shots off. Just can't see why the organization doesn't see it or as you suggested, they have only made 3 1st round picks since Lou joined and they would hate to see 1 leave. Or letting him go would mean Lou made a mistake and not sure thats in his DNA but the best thing is to send him down to get minutes and maybe find something.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Just messing around on capfriendly, noticed Lee’s NTC becomes a 15 team M-NTC this year on July 1. Thought that was worth noting if they can find a way to dump him. I suppose Lou wouldn’t have structured the deal that way if it wasn’t something he would ever be open to.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Just messing around on capfriendly, noticed Lee’s NTC becomes a 15 team M-NTC this year on July 1. Thought that was worth noting if they can find a way to dump him. I suppose Lou wouldn’t have structured the deal that way if it wasn’t something he would ever be open to.

I think you’d have to attach at least a 1st for any team to even consider taking Lee. He is a boat anchor. At this point I think the best thing the isles can do is move Nelson at the deadline, along with any of the ufas that have any value.

Go into the offseason with at least 2 first round picks, and hopefully a few extra midround picks. See what becomes available in the offseason.

Reactions: periferal

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If the season continues to go south, then there is a real possibility he is either dealt or bought out. It makes me sad to see - I have been a big fan, but if things need a major shake up then I can see the possibility for both.

The buyout in year 1 would give the Isles almost 5m in cap space, but year 2 would only be a little over 2.5.

Which brings me to a retained trade proposal - Lee at 4 for 2 years or 3.5 for 2 years may be enticing enough for a team in cup contention.

Reactions: DerekKingSnipes

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Lee has negative value. If he only had one more year on his deal after this season I think we could move him, but I doubt he's going to be moved. A buy out seems like the only option. We had to attached a 2nd round to get rid of Bailey and he had 1 less year left, had $2million lower hit, and less in actual salary to boot than Lee.

Realistically the only player that would have trade value for us that we might move is Nelson.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Honestly I think there are contenders that would want Lee, isles would need to retain a few million probably but there are playoff teams I believe he’d fit into, Kings are one that come to mind. I think even Vegas as well especially with how banged up they are getting. Would Lou trade the captain in season is a big question.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Lee has negative value. If he only had one more year on his deal after this season I think we could move him, but I doubt he's going to be moved. A buy out seems like the only option. We had to attached a 2nd round to get rid of Bailey and he had 1 less year left, had $2million lower hit, and less in actual salary to boot than Lee.

Realistically the only player that would have trade value for us that we might move is Nelson.
I disagree, Pageau has value, Clutterbuck would draw interest, I think Lee would as I posted earlier, I think Pelech and or Pulock would if isles were really going to blow this up. If Varly wanted different Opportunity there are alot of teams that would be in on him. We watch this team as group and perhaps that clouds our view of these guys but as individuals going to certain situations there are a lot of fits out there. How much does Lou blow this up, that’s question. He sounded somewhat different when asked yesterday as he seemed to be not dismissive of idea of cresting cap space which I thought was a little nugget.

If the season continues to go south, then there is a real possibility he is either dealt or bought out. It makes me sad to see - I have been a big fan, but if things need a major shake up then I can see the possibility for both.

The buyout in year 1 would give the Isles almost 5m in cap space, but year 2 would only be a little over 2.5.

Which brings me to a retained trade proposal - Lee at 4 for 2 years or 3.5 for 2 years may be enticing enough for a team in cup contention.
No bigger shakeup to a room then trading the captain.

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
I just don't think this current roster is going to do anything this year. If I were LL, I would be looking for draft capital and then July first continue to trade who he can trade for developing players or more draft picks for next year. Nelson, JPG, Engvall and Palms have value. Martin and Cal need to walk after the season. They need to start there.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I disagree, Pageau has value, Clutterbuck would draw interest, I think Lee would as I posted earlier, I think Pelech and or Pulock would if isles were really going to blow this up. If Varly wanted different Opportunity there are alot of teams that would be in on him. We watch this team as group and perhaps that clouds our view of these guys but as individuals going to certain situations there are a lot of fits out there. How much does Lou blow this up, that’s question. He sounded somewhat different when asked yesterday as he seemed to be not dismissive of idea of cresting cap space which I thought was a little nugget.

JGP and Lee would only have value if we retained or took back a similar bad contract. I can see Clutter getting a 4th/5th which is meaningless. I don’t see much a of a market for Varly as Lou signed him for 3 more years for Lou reasons.

Nelson is definitely the guy to move and get value from. Pelech and Pulock can also be moved depending on the direction Lou( or I hope a new GM) takes.

I just don't think this current roster is going to do anything this year. If I were LL, I would be looking for draft capital and then July first continue to trade who he can trade for developing players or more draft picks for next year. Nelson, JPG, Engvall and Palms have value. Martin and Cal need to walk after the season. They need to start there.
You really think JPG at 5 million a year and Engvall for 6 years when he has 7 goals have positive value?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

Moving Pelech or Pulock would be a huge mistake. If you're a player in the NHL and you see the Islanders making long extensions to key players only to move them 1-2 seasons later would you want to play for the Isles? I wouldn't and I suspect most would not either.

Lee has a cap hit of $7million for the next 2 full seasons years and is 265th in scoring.
JGP.

Varly does have value, which is why I said realistically. We have no 3rd option in net. If we move Varly we'll have an AHL caliber goaltender playing a decent amount of games and if Sorokin goes down-there goes the season.

Clutterbuck is a 4th liner in the twilight of his career. He might fetch a very late round pick (at the most)...not much value there.

The truth is we're in a bad spot and the team is way too slow and as long as we are we're not going anywhere.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Moving Pelech or Pulock would be a huge mistake. If you're a player in the NHL and you see the Islanders making long extensions to key players only to move them 1-2 seasons later would you want to play for the Isles? I wouldn't and I suspect most would not either.

Lee has a cap hit of $7million for the next 2 full seasons years and is 265th in scoring.
JGP.

Varly does have value, which is why I said realistically. We have no 3rd option in net. If we move Varly we'll have an AHL caliber goaltender playing a decent amount of games and if Sorokin goes down-there goes the season.

Clutterbuck is a 4th liner in the twilight of his career. He might fetch a very late round pick (at the most)...not much value there.

The truth is we're in a bad spot and the team is way too slow and as long as we are we're not going anywhere.
I really don’t see Varly having much value. He still has 3 years left on his contract and it is an over 35 deal. The last 2 years of that contract are likely to be painful. If we could get a 3rd/4th rounder or a B prospect I would be happy if he was dealt. Can always pick up a backup as a UFA

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Come the deadline, the only things the Isles have to sell is small bits like Clutterbuck, Martin. Reilly and Aho. They might fetch a late rounder but, knowing Lou, there's a nice fat 4 year deal in the works as we speak...

Reactions: MJF

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I really don’t see Varly having much value. He still has 3 years left on his contract and it is an over 35 deal. The last 2 years of that contract are likely to be painful. If we could get a 3rd/4th rounder or a B prospect I would be happy if he was dealt. Can always pick up a backup as a UFA
Goalies tend to age much better than skaters though. When he’s on, he’s can absolutely be an upgrade for a lot of teams

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Goalies tend to age much better than skaters though. When he’s on, he’s can absolutely be an upgrade for a lot of teams
This part is true. There are a few teams that if they had better goaltending, would be secure in playoff spots now.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
they can also fall very quickly. He would be an upgrade for probably around 5-10 teams. He probably has a NTC knowing Lou.

I just don’t see much value other than a 3rd round pick or B type prospect. Probably not worth moving him

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
gonna be a long rest of the season. Wonder what the Hall Of Famer 3 ring GM does. Ziggy palffy still playing? I mean how does Palms not bury that pass from Barzal on the PP.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

JGP.

These contracts like Lee and Pageau are buyout opportunties also, isles paid them up front so cash owed to them is less. It’s factor in trading these guys and also buying them out. Lee at 4 or 5 million would fit on a contender. He can still play on PP and is good in front of net and on a team who wants to play heavy game like Kings or Vegas out west. I’d suspect isles could move him a lot easier than people believe especially if you’re looking at it as a cap space creator only and not expecting much back in return.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
gonna be a long rest of the season. Wonder what the Hall Of Famer 3 ring GM does. Ziggy palffy still playing? I mean how does Palms not bury that pass from Barzal on the PP.
He’s not a big time finisher. How many posts have we seen Palmieri hit since he’s been here. He’s around the net enough to be a 35 goal scorer, but he’s only hit 25 goals 4 times in 16 years.

These contracts like Lee and Pageau are buyout opportunties also, isles paid them up front so cash owed to them is less. It’s factor in trading these guys and also buying them out. Lee at 4 or 5 million would fit on a contender. He can still play on PP and is good in front of net and on a team who wants to play heavy game like Kings or Vegas out west. I’d suspect isles could move him a lot easier than people believe especially if you’re looking at it as a cap space creator only and not expecting much back in return.
The Kings don’t play the heavy game anymore. They are one of the faster teams in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad