Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You think this is bad, there is a growing trade Sorokin contingent. Brainworms

I don't think he's been playing well this season and he's not really stealing games for the team at the same rate as previous seasons, but that happens sometimes with goaltenders and we see it all the time. They can have down years just like anyone else. The nice thing about Sorokin is that during his down year he's still good/serviceable. Most goalies will tell you shots that should be stopped need to be stopped, regardless of whatever other saves you might be making. You can't lose games letting soft ones in but making ten bell saves at the same time. It's all about having consistency.

Nobody should be looking to trade Sorokin unless they want to be going for multiple first overall picks. He's too good and will bounce back at some point, whether it's this season or next. He is not a player I'm concerned about long term.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You think this is bad, there is a growing trade Sorokin contingent. Brainworms
One of the spreadsheet kids on twitter has been pushing that nonsense since the beginning of December.

Maybe @Lek is right. Start Appleby tomorrow against Toronto and see how he does any better than Sorokin in the shooting gallery.

don't think he's been playing well this season and he's not really stealing games for the team at the same rate as previous seasons, but that happens sometimes with goaltenders and we see it all the time. They can have down years just like anyone else. The nice thing about Sorokin is that during his down year he's still good/serviceable.
But to imply that Sorokin is the reason the team has lost games is really misguided.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
So let me get this straight, you cannot look beyond a diagram that tells you what a "high danger chance" is? What if someone is in the supposed high danger area and falling down and swipes at the puck and it slides past the goalie at 40 MPH. Does that make it an acceptable goal because of where the shot was located? That is an absurd take.
It's funny that you consider dangerous shot locations to be an absurd take. Aside from the fact that it's a commonly known thing, tell you what - get in goal with no protective equipment other than a glove and let Pulock take a slap shot at you from within the danger area on the diagram and then another shot from outside the blue line and get back to me.

Anyway, I could see that they were dangerous chances with my very own eyeballs. I initially was going to try to describe the danger area with words but then decided it would be easier to search up a graphic - they're not hard to find since it's a well known thing (Trotz based his defensive coaching strategy upon limiting chances within that area, FWIW). I also figured a graphic would be helpful since you said earlier that the shot was from above the circle, which it clearly was not.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But to imply that Sorokin is the reason the team has lost games is really misguided.

I'd agree for sure. He's been okay, hasn't really cost them many (if any) games this year. The expectations for him are high though so that's what all the complaining is about.

There are structural/systems issues that are hurting this team more than anything. This team is exactly where most of us thought they'd be at this time of year. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a team that will battle for a wild card spot and people shouldn't have much higher expectations than that.

It's funny that you consider dangerous shot locations to be an absurd take. Aside from the fact that it's a commonly known thing, tell you what - get in goal with no protective equipment other than a glove and let Pulock take a slap shot at you from within the danger area on the diagram and then another shot from outside the blue line and get back to me.

Anyway, I could see that they were dangerous chances with my very own eyeballs. I initially was going to try to describe the danger area with words but then decided it would be easier to search up a graphic - they're not hard to find since it's a well known thing (Trotz based his defensive coaching strategy upon limiting chances within that area, FWIW). I also figured a graphic would be helpful since you said earlier that the shot was from above the circle, which it clearly was not.

I think the point he's attempting to make is that not all high-danger chances are created equally and that the slap shot from last night was one that should've been stopped. As far as the slap shot goes, I tend to agree. Myers skated with that puck from his own blue line and telegraphed that he was going let a slapper go, I need a stop there.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think the point he's attempting to make is that not all high-danger chances are created equally and that the slap shot from last night was one that should've been stopped. As far as the slap shot goes, I tend to agree. Myers skated with that puck from his own blue line and telegraphed that he was going let a slapper go, I need a stop there.
If on a regular basis you let guys skate in for uncontested 90+ MPH slap shots from just above the dot, maybe 30-35 feet away, with the goalie's angle constantly changing up to the point of shooting, some are going to leak through. It's quantity of quality shots that's the problem. You can point to one shot and say "Sorokin should've had it", and Sorokin would probably agree, but you let up enough of those and some are going to go in.

Trotz would let guys shoot all day from the perimeter. He limited shots between the dots up to the top of the circles. And he especially limited cross-slot passes for one-timers within that area. It's not rocket science - it's basic stuff. Lou wanted a "different voice", but unfortunately it's sounding like Weight's voice to the players, apparently.

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

I'll do it. He'll miss the net on both anyway.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This is an absurd take. We expected and paid for high end goaltending and Sorokin isn't giving it to us??? I assure you that if he weren't a duck in a shooting gallery every night his numbers would look better than they are, and if Varlamov had played more games this season his numbers would be closer to what Sorokin's are now.

Every game one weak goal sneaks by him, yet we'll forget all the high danger chances he does stop that keep every game from being a 6 or 7 goal night for the opponent? Obtuse.
at some point the dam will break

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Every game one weak goal sneaks by him, yet we'll forget all the high danger chances he does stop that keep every game from being a 6 or 7 goal night for the opponent? Obtuse.
Many of this team's wins have been heavily influenced by Sorokin (and Varly) playing superbly in the early/mid stages of a tied or one-goal game and withstanding a barrage of high-danger and odd-man opportunities. But those don't count it seems. Yet if the team collapses late and allows a shooting gallery, it's the goalie's fault.

"Analysis" here comes in the form of counting the number of GA and then copy/pasting the same post after every loss.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Many of this team's wins have been heavily influenced by Sorokin (and Varly) playing superbly in the early/mid stages of a tied or one-goal game and withstanding a barrage of high-danger and odd-man opportunities. But those don't count it seems. Yet if the team collapses late and allows a shooting gallery, it's the goalie's fault.

"Analysis" here comes in the form of counting the number of GA and then copy/pasting the same post after every loss.
Exactly! The problem is when the goaltending doesn’t play above average , the teams weaknesses are more evident and seem to be completely overlooked by everyone including our GM

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
1704990292444.png

when we talk about firing Lambert, its because of crap like this

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
There are no other centers on the roster if Cizikas is out. They used Clutterbuck there earlier in the season and I guess Lambert didn't like that.

Unless we're just talking about the specific combinations, which I get (Wahlstrom on the top line is gross).
if they're gonna do that then just put Nelson on the third line. Barzy isn't a third liner at all. And putting Fasching with Engvall looks terrible also.

This is also against Toronto. I can understand why Gauthier is out, but man Oliver just isn't the same player. Team really needs bottom 6 improvement next season. i'll bang the table for Dakota Joshua to replace Martin/Clutterbuck

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Cronin

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Wahlstrom being in over Gauthier AND on the first line is quite the headscratcher. He’s not really an NHL player…

Iskhakov (if Barzal is going to play center) or MacLean (if he isn’t) make sense as call ups if they place Cizikas on IR.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
There are no other centers on the roster if Cizikas is out. They used Clutterbuck there earlier in the season and I guess Lambert didn't like that.

Unless we're just talking about the specific combinations, which I get (Wahlstrom on the top line is gross).
My only complaint is scratching Gauthier for ineffective Fasching and even more ineffective Wahlstrom.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Toronto is just going to do the same thing that Vancouver did to us
Toronto doesn’t have defense or goaltending. One major difference between the teams. My fantasy team does depend on the production of Auston Matthews so if they score, hopefully it’s only him.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
My only complaint is scratching Gauthier for ineffective Fasching and even more ineffective Wahlstrom.
You could probably craft and NHL player if you combined the three of them although looking at the three names I was thinking more Wizard of Oz than Frankenstein.

Reactions: MJF

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
if they're gonna do that then just put Nelson on the third line. Barzy isn't a third liner at all. And putting Fasching with Engvall looks terrible also.

This is also against Toronto. I can understand why Gauthier is out, but man Oliver just isn't the same player. Team really needs bottom 6 improvement next season. i'll bang the table for Dakota Joshua to replace Martin/Clutterbuck
I don't mind Holmstrom with Barzal.

Reactions: Osakahaus

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Yet many here are upset that Sorokin isn’t stealing wins like he did last year. Silly. The problem is staring everyone in the face, but they had it drawn up in their heads that we should increase the offense at the expense of the defense and leave it to Soroky to bail us out this season. :shakehead
It’s not a terrible philosophy but it is a 180. If you have the best goalie maybe playing wide open makes sense as long as you are creating as many chances as you give up. Our goalie is better than yours kind of thing. But it isn’t playing out that way. We are giving up more chnaces then we create and we can’t score on top of it.

Sorokin a numbers on the PK are not good. His low danger SV % is not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad