Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Hey- Sorry if this is wrong place for this but I'm reaching out to those in the know re: Jarvis contract situation. Jarvis has at least four more years before reaching UFA. It appears the Canes have about $6.5m in cap space and could free up another $1m.

Any news on the negotiation? What do you think this contract will look like, a bridge or longer term buyout of some UFA years? Thanks.

You know about as much as we do. Front office seems confident that we'll get him signed. There was a rumor about an 8x8 floating around. Besides that, nothing more.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Sportsnet with a good article comparing Berniers new contract to other recent long term young signees.

Btw: no one got $8M or above.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
And lets not sugarcoat just how good Kochetkov was last year. NHL Rookie of the Month honors in December and February last year while basically single handedly stabilizing a goalie situation that was in complete disarray in October and November. Named to the NHL All Rookie Team at the end of the season. He's already started and won playoff games for us, he's routinely looked good when getting starts at the NHL level, and even more impressively, looks better the more he plays.

There's really no reason for us to not be extremely high on his potential. He absolutely is the kind of goalie who could carry us to contention or a title when he gets going. We should be excited about him taking that next step this year.
Agreeing with you makes me feel awkward and in need of a shower, yet here we are.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
And lets not sugarcoat just how good Kochetkov was last year. NHL Rookie of the Month honors in December and February last year while basically single handedly stabilizing a goalie situation that was in complete disarray in October and November. Named to the NHL All Rookie Team at the end of the season. He's already started and won playoff games for us, he's routinely looked good when getting starts at the NHL level, and even more impressively, looks better the more he plays.

There's really no reason for us to not be extremely high on his potential. He absolutely is the kind of goalie who could carry us to contention or a title when he gets going. We should be excited about him taking that next step this year.

I'll admit it...it took me several read throughs of this to square the "sugarcoat" portion of the post with the rest of the post. Usually, when I hear someone say "let's not sugarcoat" whatever, they then pan the whatever. When you started actually praising Kooch, I had to re-read it to make sure I didn't have a stroke.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'll admit it...it took me several read throughs of this to square the "sugarcoat" portion of the post with the rest of the post. Usually, when I hear someone say "let's not sugarcoat" whatever, they then pan the whatever. When you started actually praising Kooch, I had to re-read it to make sure I didn't have a stroke.
You know I probably should have used 'gloss over'

Tomato, tomahto

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I think kochetkov was great down the stretch last year but I also remember him and raanta both stinking up the place to start the year off. I’m inclined to believe he’s probably mostly put that behind him but I also want to be realistic
He flat out turned a switch after the Vancouver? game and never played anywhere close to that bad the rest of the season. A young player figured something out (I really think it was just insisting to go back to his game rather than trying to learn to play a style that wasn't his) and never looked back. I think it's silly to look at that and think he'll suddenly go back.

Raanta was playing poorly because he was old and frequently injured and that eventually piled up to where he just couldn't do it any more. And note that that never changed, either.

Realism does not mean pessimism. It doesn't mean being a cynic. It means keeping yourself constrained to the bounds of what the actual facts and evidence would support. There is no evidence that would suggest that Kooch will be anything other than the quality starter level goalie that he was for nearly all of last season.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I think kochetkov was great down the stretch last year but I also remember him and raanta both stinking up the place to start the year off. I’m inclined to believe he’s probably mostly put that behind him but I also want to be realistic

I also remember the defense being way out of sync. Especially the Orlov - Deangelo pairing to start.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He flat out turned a switch after the Vancouver? game and never played anywhere close to that bad the rest of the season. A young player figured something out (I really think it was just insisting to go back to his game rather than trying to learn to play a style that wasn't his) and never looked back. I think it's silly to look at that and think he'll suddenly go back.

Raanta was playing poorly because he was old and frequently injured and that eventually piled up to where he just couldn't do it any more. And note that that never changed, either.

Realism does not mean pessimism. It doesn't mean being a cynic. It means keeping yourself constrained to the bounds of what the actual facts and evidence would support. There is no evidence that would suggest that Kooch will be anything other than the quality starter level goalie that he was for nearly all of last season.
All that is true, but we've seen hot stretches of plays from goalies in the past that haven't translated into sustained success when they become "the guy". I'm not saying that will happen with Pyotr, but it's fair to remain cautious in our optimism until we see a larger body of work with him being the #1.

I'm optimistic though and do think he'll get every shot to be that #1 guy though, as the organization seems to believe in him.

On the flip side, we fans are going to have to be a bit patient as well. We lost two of our best defensive defensemen, Burns is year older and we know that new guys don't always adapt quickly to our system, so there may be some struggles more due to the team in front of him vs. his own play.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
All that is true, but we've seen hot stretches of plays from goalies in the past that haven't translated into sustained success when they become "the guy". I'm not saying that will happen with Pyotr, but it's fair to remain cautious in our optimism until we see a larger body of work with him being the #1.

I'm optimistic though and do think he'll get every shot to be that #1 guy though, as the organization seems to believe in him.

On the flip side, we fans are going to have to be a bit patient as well. We lost two of our best defensive defensemen, Burns is year older and we know that new guys don't always adapt quickly to our system, so there may be some struggles more due to the team in front of him vs. his own play.
"On the flip side, we fans are going to have to be a bit patient as well. We lost two of our best defensive defensemen, Burns is year older and we know that new guys don't always adapt quickly to our system, so there may be some struggles more due to the team in front of him vs. his own play."

I agree.

With all the new players, I suspect our early West Coast trip/first 2 1/2 months is going to quite challenging with sub-optimal results. However, by Jan. 2025 I suspect Coach will have the team playing properly and with very good results.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
To repeat a comment about Kochetkov (others have made as well)....he plays significantly better when he has a heavier workload. I believe it is because knowing when he gets regular and numerous starts, he's better prepared mentally.

I looked at what were his most successful stretches:

Dec. 2023 -11 games (out of 15 total) - 24 GA - .922 SV%
Feb. 2024 - 8 games (out of 12 total) - 13 GA - .942 SV%
March 2024 - 8 games (out of 15 total) - 20 GA - .917 SV%

It seems to take him a bit to get into his groove, but once he's there, he's pretty damn good.

Interestingly enough, he had both shutouts and stinkers throughout.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The one thing I've observed about Kooch is that he's the kind of goalie who won't let one bad game impact the next, but he's also the kind of goalie who will absolutely ride a heater like a wave. He might have a stinker of a game at some point but it will be surrounded by a string of solid to great starts.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Perhaps there’s a game of chicken going on between Raymond and Jarvis. Who wants to set the market?
Battle of the Tape--
Raymond = CAA (L.A.): monster agency with 163 drafted hockey clients
Jarvis = The Sports Corporation (Edmonton): pretty big hockey agency with 72 hockey clients

Anyway, I was always thinking something by September and looks to be on track.

Question is: does he get 8M+ or similar to the other young players from the Sportset article that I posted earlier & were less than $8K per?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I use a machete on my avocados. I thought it'd be a way to get everyone to start calling me a cool nickname like machete or blade but instead they just call me ole two fingers. Not sure why.
"And that should have been portent enough for Victor Mark that he'll never make it as a superhero."

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I never get the concept of an avocado injury. I eat one almost every day….a butter knife works just fine.
I'm guessing it's because a common way to remove the pit after slicing an avocado in half, is the strike it with a sharp knife, twist it and then pull the pit out (stuck to the knife). That's the way I've done it as far back as I can remember.

I suspect those getting injuries are holding the 1/2 of the avocado in their hand, and then miss with the knife? Only thing I can surmise.

EDIT: I did a google search and found a news video where a surgeon says "Mainly, it's people putting the tip of the knife into the pit of the avocado while holding it in their non-dominant hand. The tip of the knife will slip off that pit, go through the soft flesh of the avocado and then impact their hand."

Starts at 23s

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad