Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
If that lebrun article is remotely accurate on stamkos, then I can see why they going to July 1... and he likely sees more money thrown at him than what Tampa can or was wants to offer.

Interesting how they were trying to subvert the cap again with a long term deal that they go into it with all parties expect he will not actually play through its term just to get the aav down. I hadn't seen many of those deals recently when they tried to change the year to year variation to the point it really didn't make sense and the league tried to scare the crap out of GMs to make them stop doing kovalchuk like things. But Tampa having to get desperate due to how bad their cap situation is...

We likely wouldn't get involved given his age given how we have treated other older players... but a right shot center winger who can still pot 40+ even as his speed is slowing down? But stranger things have happened.......

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I think a 6 year deal at 6.75-7.25 would be fair for both the Csnes and Jarvis. He gets a little less AAV for not signing until he’s 30, but gets a chance at 28 to get that max term high dollar deal which would be a lot more palatable having any guy signed until 36 instead of 38.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If that lebrun article is remotely accurate on stamkos, then I can see why they going to July 1... and he likely sees more money thrown at him than what Tampa can or was wants to offer.

Interesting how they were trying to subvert the cap again with a long term deal that they go into it with all parties expect he will not actually play through its term just to get the aav down. I hadn't seen many of those deals recently when they tried to change the year to year variation to the point it really didn't make sense and the league tried to scare the crap out of GMs to make them stop doing kovalchuk like things. But Tampa having to get desperate due to how bad their cap situation is...

We likely wouldn't get involved given his age given how we have treated other older players... but a right shot center winger who can still pot 40+ even as his speed is slowing down? But stranger things have happened.......
that makes total sense as I mentioned this as possibility weeks ago. Shoot I would consider giving Stamkos 3.5 x 8 deal. Let him go to LTIR in 4-5 years when we need him to for cap space

• Wow
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think a 6 year deal at 6.75-7.25 would be fair for both the Csnes and Jarvis. He gets a little less AAV for not signing until he’s 30, but gets a chance at 28 to get that max term high dollar deal which would be a lot more palatable having any guy signed until 36 instead of 38.

Why would the Canes want to sign him for anything less than 8?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Would love a Guentzel announcement in the next two hours to make a Necas deal that much more realistic
I think the two are 100% inter-linked

Plan A: keep Guentz, trade Necas for the best offer
Plan B: Guentz goes to FA and signs elsewhere, keep Necas on a short deal
Plan C: lose Guentz, only trade Necas for a targeted piece pending other moves

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Insiders are hitting at a good solid 0% today... basically everything they've thought was going to happen has fallen through
Which is what usually happens on draft day. Insiders talk about how all these big names are going to be moved and how 5 of the top 10 picks are in play, only for nothing but a couple pick swaps in the 20's to happen. Then afterwards, they just say "oh, the prices were too high".

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Which is what usually happens on draft day. Insiders talk about how all these big names are going to be moved and how 5 of the top 10 picks are in play, only for nothing but a couple pick swaps in the 20's to happen. Then afterwards, they just say "oh, the prices were too high".

Too many things have to go right, and there's still this sort of tendency to be unreasonably conservative with draft picks sometimes. There hasn't yet been this "NBA moment" where GMs freely trade and swap draft picks like candy.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well I’m sure they’re waiting on announcing a trade just so they can announce it during the beginning of the draft. “We have a trade to announce….”

But it won’t be groundbreaking and they’ll talk about it during down moments when they can’t think of anything else to say.

Draft day in Hartford in another lifetime we drafted O’Neill at five and I had a pretty up close view of when Gary said those magical words. The Leafs traded Wendell Clark to the Nords for
Mats Sundin. That was a draft day doozy.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Are YOU an insider? You seem to know exactly how they work...

Reactions: bleedgreen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad