Waived: [CBJ] D Adam Boqvist placed on waivers by the Blue Jackets for the purpose of buyout

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Leafs seem to be moving on from Liljegren and need an offensive 3rd pair RHD, could be fit
Perfect fit for Toronto. Plays defensively like Rielly (average 3rd pairing level). No slap shot at all. Rielly does skate well. Boqvist uses double runners.

Way overrated offensively. Not good defensively and soft as baby shit
SPOT ON!

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
He's officially cooked as a player.
Teams will still take a chance on Boqvist given his high draft selection but looks like injuries just ruined him. Maybe he can still make a career as a bottom pairing d-man.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes sense. They do have a lot of money tied up in RHD. Severson has that huge contract, and Gudbranson is still a fairly prohibitive buyout. So if you want to clear a roster spot and try to improve...you buyout the guy with the friendlier buyout, and who you could never really rely on to stay healthy. Especially with Jiricek wanting a spot in the lineup sooner, rather than later.

I can see someone getting a good deal on Boqvist on a short "prove it" reclamation project sort of deal. Or i can see somebody thinking they got a good deal on him for like ten games before he disappears with injury. He's also not really the sort of defenceman that coaches like to have on their bottom-pairing, and i'm not convinced he's going to be able to establish himself as a regular, reliable Top-4D unless his injury fortunes really change to build more momentum in the lineup.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
How To Make Boqvist Useful:
  1. Pair him with a shutdown guy.
  2. Give him #1 minutes on the power play.
  3. Pray that he isn't injured further.
We'd sometimes do #2 (particularly when Werenski was out), but our prayers in #3 were never answered, and we didn't have enough shutdown guys to do #1. Get a better fit and some injury luck and he should be a useful contributor.

I think the problem is...

#1 is tough to stomach. Good shutdown guys are hard to come by and really coveted around the league. So to "waste" one on basically babysitting a guy like Boqvist is really hard to justify. Because Boqvist himself isn't really a guy i think you want out there against top opposing players in any kind of "shutdown" role.

#2 is tricky because teams really only have that one main PP Unit with one defenceman on it these days. There are teams that could use that ability, but most good teams already have a guy. So it's not a specialty that teams favour these days. Most teams prefer to get more PK utility out of their #4/5/6 type guys where you tend to need a lot more of them.

#3 is a stretch because well...yeah. He hasn't been able to stay healthy thus far, and he's not at an age where guys typically start to get a lot more durable and healthy. Maybe it works out, but you're kind of hoping against hope.

But his draft pedigree will almost certainly get him a change of scenery audition somewhere. Probably on a bad team desperate for upside on defence. :dunno:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This guy sucks. Small slow soft dmen don't last long in this league.

Seems to be a lot of Flames fans hoping for a reclamation project. I think both him and Brannstrom would be a total waste of time.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Makes sense. They do have a lot of money tied up in RHD. Severson has that huge contract, and Gudbranson is still a fairly prohibitive buyout. So if you want to clear a roster spot and try to improve...you buyout the guy with the friendlier buyout, and who you could never really rely on to stay healthy. Especially with Jiricek wanting a spot in the lineup sooner, rather than later.

I can see someone getting a good deal on Boqvist on a short "prove it" reclamation project sort of deal. Or i can see somebody thinking they got a good deal on him for like ten games before he disappears with injury. He's also not really the sort of defenceman that coaches like to have on their bottom-pairing, and i'm not convinced he's going to be able to establish himself as a regular, reliable Top-4D unless his injury fortunes really change to build more momentum in the lineup.
I don't really think he'll get signed. He's just too defensively deficient for any offensive impact he has to overcome.

There is like a minimum bar of defensive play an NHLer needs, and he just doesn't have it. His lack of DZ awareness and poor habits were huge red flags all the way back in his draft year.

Eh hate to break it to ya, but Boqvist is not a good puckmover. Offensive dman =/= puckmover, likewise defensive dman =/= bad puckmover
I've been saying this many times lately. A guy who can get some points on the PP is not a "PMD".

A real PMD is someone who can get back on retrievals, and then make a play to exit the zone, or put a teammate in a better position to make a clean exit. Someone like Chris Tanev is more of a puckmover in this style, because he can make a play to get a clean exit.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don't really think he'll get signed. He's just too defensively deficient for any offensive impact he has to overcome.

There is like a minimum bar of defensive play an NHLer needs, and he just doesn't have it. His lack of DZ awareness and poor habits were huge red flags all the way back in his draft year.

I've been saying this many times lately. A guy who can get some points on the PP is not a "PMD".

A real PMD is someone who can get back on retrievals, and then make a play to exit the zone, or put a teammate in a better position to make a clean exit. Someone like Chris Tanev is more of a puckmover in this style, because he can make a play to get a clean exit.
Exactly and being a good puckmover alone means jackshit. Matt Bartkowski's transition skills was easily first pairing caliber. Only his offensive and defensive skills weren't even replacement level #6 caliber...

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He can’t stay healthy.

One time this season he was hit with a puck in the face while on the bench. Other than that he was ouchy every 10 or so games. When he was in he was good but couldn’t stay healthy.
A good prospect who got rushed by not just one but two organizations. Many here were laughing when I said that he shouldn't play in the NHL. I wrote that many times before and after the trade.

Boqvist has a lot of talent but when he came to NA he was very green. Poor positioning and way too slight for the way he wants to play. He ended up putting on some weight but not enough and too late as well. He's still somewhat allergic to contact and it's not often you see a player getting wiped out by big hits as often as Boqvist.

He's a player who likes to hold onto pucks and drive play but he's too soft to do it and he never adjusted to pro hockey and the smaller NA ice.

I'm convinced this unfortunate outcome could have been avoided had he been given more time. Unfortunately both teams wanted to rush their top prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I think the problem is...

#1 is tough to stomach. Good shutdown guys are hard to come by and really coveted around the league. So to "waste" one on basically babysitting a guy like Boqvist is really hard to justify. Because Boqvist himself isn't really a guy i think you want out there against top opposing players in any kind of "shutdown" role.

#2 is tricky because teams really only have that one main PP Unit with one defenceman on it these days. There are teams that could use that ability, but most good teams already have a guy. So it's not a specialty that teams favour these days. Most teams prefer to get more PK utility out of their #4/5/6 type guys where you tend to need a lot more of them.

#3 is a stretch because well...yeah. He hasn't been able to stay healthy thus far, and he's not at an age where guys typically start to get a lot more durable and healthy. Maybe it works out, but you're kind of hoping against hope.

But his draft pedigree will almost certainly get him a change of scenery audition somewhere. Probably on a bad team desperate for upside on defence. :dunno:
Welcome to the Sharks mate!

Our Right D is currently Jan Rutta, Benning and Vlasic playing his off side and we have no RHD prospects lol

I also have no idea who is on our PP now that we ditched Addison.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Exactly and being a good puckmover alone means jackshit. Matt Bartkowski's transition skills was easily first pairing caliber. Only his offensive and defensive skills weren't even replacement level #6 caliber...
I wouldn't even have ever called a guy like Bartkowski a "puck-mover". He had great skating ability and could skate the puck, but that's all he could do. If he was under enough pressure he couldn't escape with his feet, he basically had no other skill to get by.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00