Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
While we’re here how about we include flipping our return for Necas in a package for a big and physical top 6 right handed RW who’s a good net front presence to help balance out the lines?

Not a RW, but Crouse was my personal #1 choice as a Necas return...he's probably not available, though.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
My only qualms are the Canes are potentially signing a soon-to-be-30 year old top-6er and trading a 25 year old top-6er, which isn't the usual way of business for the Canes. Considering the Necas trade request, though, it makes perfect sense in that context. Get the assets for a guy who wants 1st line minutes elsewhere and maintain our firepower moving forward.

But we’re probably trading for a 18-19 year old. So it buffs out

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
My only qualms are the Canes are potentially signing a soon-to-be-30 year old top-6er and trading a 25 year old top-6er, which isn't the usual way of business for the Canes. Considering the Necas trade request, though, it makes perfect sense in that context. Get the assets for a guy who wants 1st line minutes elsewhere and maintain our firepower moving forward.
Im preparing my body to hate the Guentzel contract

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Im preparing my body to hate the Guentzel contract

I'm not going to love or hate it, truthfully, but if our normally-frugal FO finds the contract that they're about to give out fair, I'm mostly inclined to support it. I try my best to stay humble because I think that, in the end, it makes me look smarter than I actually am.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
What is everyone's obsession with a 20G 40-45PT player because he's a bit physical? That would be a massive offensive downgrade from Necas

Premium play-styles are a thing. Crouse provides an interior presence that gives us a different look in the top-6 vs. the more perimeter-oriented play of Necas and Teravainen.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
There are certainly some worries if we do end up signing Jake to the big long term contract, but I think the way all the other contracts and ages are staggered, including the pending Slavin contract, we can handle it. And if that frees us to move Necas for whatever the best value is, I'll be pretty content. At that point, it'll just be interesting to see how all the other moves shape up to fill out the roster.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
There are certainly some worries if we do end up signing Jake to the big long term contract, but I think the way all the other contracts and ages are staggered, including the pending Slavin contract, we can handle it. And if that frees us to move Necas for whatever the best value is, I'll be pretty content. At that point, it'll just be interesting to see how all the other moves shape up to fill out the roster.
Im more worried about skjei. Having 2 simultaneous aging defensive contracts is concerning. But yea 1 aging forward deal and 1 aging defender deal will be okay.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Im more worried about skjei. Having 2 simultaneous aging defensive contracts is concerning. But yea 1 aging forward deal and 1 aging defender deal will be okay.
Is there a report of being closer on him now too? It's hard to keep up with everything. While I've always said I'd keep Skjei over Pesce, I agree that if things shake out with Jake and Jaccob that having another aging long term deal is when things could get sticky. Especially with two on D where it's harder to hide a guy.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

To me, the only way that Skjei stays a Cane is the short-term/high-dollar route. With Nikishin in tow, loading the left side short-term makes sense as a way for Nikishin to gradually adjust to the NHL.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Is there a report of being closer on him now too? It's hard to keep up with everything. While I've always said I'd keep Skjei over Pesce, I agree that if things shake out with Jake and Jaccob that having another aging long term deal is when things could get sticky. Especially with two on D where it's harder to hide a guy.
60/40 on bringing him back was what i saw.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’m still pessimistic about them actually getting Guentzel signed, but since they’ve been hell bent on trading Necas, they almost have to get it done.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad