Around the NHL: Post-Draft and Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Besides Florida - where exactly do you think there are lower taxes than Buffalo where it would be significant in a contract decision?

No one wants to play for the Sabres because the franchise is a shit show. It's hard to understand when you're a fan, but now that Az has moved to Utah, it's probably viewed as THE WORST franchise in the NHL. That's the brutal reality.

Those are the reasons in combination why they generally don't like Buffalo. It's very high taxes for a small city.

Specifically they don't like any team which is bad, and Buffalo has been bad. But even when they're good they have had trouble getting people here, and those reasons will endure.

Exactly. The premiere destination for players is located in the same exact state as us. Also correct me here if I am wrong but wouldn’t the location be advantageous for Canadians because unlike the US their citizens working and living abroad aren't subject to their income tax? I recall lots of Canucks players taking advantage of this by living right across the border in Washington.

Buffalo is high tax and boring for a single lad

NYC is high tax and probably the most exciting place a single multi-millionaire are could find themselves

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Those are the reasons in combination why they generally don't like Buffalo. It's very high taxes for a small city.

Specifically they don't like any team which is bad, and Buffalo has been bad. But even when they're good they have had trouble getting people here, and those reasons will endure.

NYC is high tax and probably the most exciting place a single multi-millionaire are could find themselves

And the Buffalo area is a very cheap place to live regardless of taxes. Go do home searches around the country, in areas around big cities, and then compare it to Buffalo.

The tax thing is overplayed.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

The Bills have zero problems attracting free agents here. We're an hour from Toronto if someone wants the benefits of a big city. About the time it takes to get anywhere in NYC.

It's the standard of living. People in different stages of their lives values other things they consider crucial to their standard of living. 2 individuals with the same income will pick different areas depending on their wants, the family man wants suburbs and good schools, the single guy wants entertainment.

Exactly most hockey players are very family orientated. Look at Tage, 2 kids and married already at 26.

Buffalo was rated the #1 most attractive real estate market for 2024.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
The Bills have zero problems attracting free agents here. We're an hour from Toronto if someone wants the benefits of a big city. About the time it takes to get anywhere in NYC.

Exactly most hockey players are very family orientated. Look at Tage, 2 kids and married already at 26.

Buffalo was rated the #1 most attractive real estate market for 2024.

90 miles and a border crossing in a hour ? :D
Toronto's not a very nice visit anymore, horrid traffic (unless you take the Go Train after Hamilton), smog, rude/entitled people, High taxes, expensive, GST 13% (some refundable at duty free), No thanks.

If most hockey guys had any brains they would enjoy the four seasons, one of the lowest cost of livings and level of crime in the country, good schools, friendly-genuine people and save their money for there retirement homes in FL/AZ/Europe rather than to try and impress Mrs trophy wife-g/f. But as we know the agents have the power to tell there little stories and narratives and control their clients for their cut. As others have said, 13 years and the owner (Eichel & others chatting I presume) are big issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Duchene will be staying in Dallas.
Tanev being offered a six year deal by Toronto, likely to sign there.
Boston and Toronto interested in Zadorov.
Trouba... questions.
Necas may have had the #4OA offered from Columbus.
Other teams tried for 4OA to draft Demidov before Montreal.
Askarov could be on the move.
McGroarty didn't get moved because Buium dropped to 12.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
90 miles and a border crossing in a hour ? :D
Toronto's not a very nice visit anymore, horrid traffic (unless you take the Go Train after Hamilton), smog, rude/entitled people, High taxes, expensive, GST 13% (some refundable at duty free), No thanks.

If most hockey guys had any brains they would enjoy the four seasons, one of the lowest cost of livings and level of crime in the country, good schools, friendly-genuine people and save their money for there retirement homes in FL/AZ/Europe rather than to try and impress Mrs trophy wife-g/f. But as we know the agents have the power to tell there little stories and narratives and control their clients for their cut. As others have said, 13 years and the owner (Eichel & others chatting I presume) are big issues.

The traffic in Toronto isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be. Sure it sucks between 7:30am-9am and 4pm-5:30pm, but it’s no worse than any other major urban area. Once you get on the 400s, traffic is rarely at a stand still, especially when leaving the city.

As far as being rude and entitled, I’ve never experienced anything like that. Most people just go about their life, and will help you if you stop them and ask.

As far as HST, that’s on everything no matter where you are in Ontario.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Duchene will be staying in Dallas.
Tanev being offered a six year deal by Toronto, likely to sign there.
Boston and Toronto interested in Zadorov.
Trouba... questions.
Necas may have had the #4OA offered from Columbus.
Other teams tried for 4OA to draft Demidov before Montreal.
Askarov could be on the move.
McGroarty didn't get moved because Buium dropped to 12.

4OA and Carolina passed on that for Necas?

Yeah... stay away Kevyn. I want no part of that return

Reactions: Chainshot

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The traffic in Toronto isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be. Sure it sucks between 7:30am-9am and 4pm-5:30pm, but it’s no worse than any other major urban area. Once you get on the 400s, traffic is rarely at a stand still, especially when leaving the city.

As far as being rude and entitled, I’ve never experienced anything like that. Most people just go about their life, and will help you if you stop them and ask.

As far as HST, that’s on everything no matter where you are in Ontario.
I live in the NY Metro area which has some of the worst traffic known to man. I've been to DC many times which might be an even bigger traffic hell. Toronto was by far the absolute worst traffic I have ever experienced in my life.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I live in the NY Metro area which has some of the worst traffic known to man. I've been to DC many times which might be an even bigger traffic hell. Toronto was by far the absolute worst traffic I have ever experienced in my life.

The only time it sucked for me was Nathan Brown Square at 5pm. But I mean, that was right when offices were let out for the day.

Downtown Ottawa was the worst traffic for me, but then again half of the roads were closed to construction.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The only time it sucked for me was Nathan Brown Square at 5pm. But I mean, that was right when offices were let out for the day.

Downtown Ottawa was the worst traffic for me, but then again half of the roads were closed to construction.

Nathan Phillips Square in front of City Hall?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
There's no way Necas was going to return #4. Friedman is just throwing shit against the wall. Equally stupid is McGroaty not moving because of Buium slipping. Those things just don't square.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There's no way Necas was going to return #4. Friedman is just throwing shit against the wall. Equally stupid is McGroaty not moving because of Buium slipping. Those things just don't square.

If the thought was the Jets wanted 13 though. Necas for 4OA is nuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad