Confirmed Trade: [VGK/NJD] Alexander Holtz and Akira Schmid for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Holtz will be out of the league in 2 years. Im glad the devils got a roster player for him. He can’t skate, is soft along the boards, and has a non existent compete. He was offered for Timo and Markstrom and no one wanted him. People are deluding themselves into thinking the Devils got fleeced because he went 7 OA a couple years back.

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
he played 82 nhl games this season
At this stage of his career, he has no contributing identity in either the top or bottom six. He’s not a consistent scorer, can’t be counted on to play both sides of the ice, and has no physical or board play skills to speak of.

Maybe Vegas manages to squeeze the best out of him, but I’m skeptical.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
At this stage of his career, he has no contributing identity in either the top or bottom six. He’s not a consistent scorer, can’t be counted on to play both sides of the ice, and has no physical or board play skills to speak of.

Maybe Vegas manages to squeeze the best out of him, but I’m skeptical.
Devils during the Harris/Blitzer era have been the antithesis of the Lamoriello days.

Rather then letting prospects "marinate" in the AHL and learn to play all facets of the game (what used to be known as "Lou U"), players are placed in the limelight before they are prepared.

In their defense, this has become common across the landscape of professional sports; with the quality of play reflecting that.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Devils during the Harris/Blitzer era have been the antithesis of the Lamoriello days.

Rather then letting prospects "marinate" in the AHL and learn to play all facets of the game (what used to be known as "Lou U"), players are placed in the limelight before they are prepared.

In their defense, this has become common across the landscape of professional sports; with the quality of play reflecting that.
I mean, Holtz played 75+ AHL games. And that’s as a 7oa pick where typically those guys don’t get AHL games at all.

Maybe Holtz just isn’t good.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Cotter is 24 and was a healthy scratch during the playoffs. Holtz was never given an opportunity and spent the season playing with bad offensive players. If given opportunity I’m sure he could’ve got thirty goals this year.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I would like to see Holtz with Hertl. I think that would be a good fit for Holtz actually. I thought Holtz got better as season went on last season. I still think he can become a pretty good 2nd line forward…but he definitely needs more ice time than he was getting in NJ. Vegas should be a good fit for him!

Reactions: Puckclektr

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I would like to see Holtz with Hertl. I think that would be a good fit for Holtz actually. I thought Holtz got better as season went on last season. I still think he can become a pretty good 2nd line forward…but he definitely needs more ice time than he was getting in NJ. Vegas should be a good fit for him!
Must not of been watching much then.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Crazy to give up on a 22 year old who has a great offensive skills. Crazier for some fans to even try to justify it was good to trade him because he must be done developing already.
Not particularly crazy if you watched the player. Cotter has more of a skill set that the team needed and makes league minimum for 2 seasons.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Crazy to give up on a 22 year old who has a great offensive skills. Crazier for some fans to even try to justify it was good to trade him because he must be done developing already.
Fans are just trying to stay positive and not wanna admit VGK totally fleeced them. It happens with all fan bases on here when their teams make a headscratching trade.

There are tons and tons of Cotter type guys every season so it's odd NJ would do this deal and move Holtz for such an underwhelming return

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I mean, Holtz played 75+ AHL games. And that’s as a 7oa pick where typically those guys don’t get AHL games at all.

Maybe Holtz just isn’t good.

Think both things can be true. But he's not the first player thrown into the NHL before he was ready - with predictable results both for the player and the team as a whole.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Not particularly crazy if you watched the player. Cotter has more of a skill set that the team needed and makes league minimum for 2 season
If he was a key 3-4th liner for the team then at least it would be somewhat justified. But trading a player who was given virtually no opportunity for Cotter who was a healthy scratch last year makes ZERO sense

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
If he was a key 3-4th liner for the team then at least it would be somewhat justified. But trading a player who was given virtually no opportunity for Cotter who was a healthy scratch last year makes ZERO sense
Holtz is truly awful but yea he could get 40 pts on a team like Vegas. You'd hope to get more back but here we are. Curious who they sign to replace him because that's evidently the play here.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
In before the Rags trade Kakko for a skate cover and Penn Station mop bucket :laugh:

Think both things can be true. But he's not the first player thrown into the NHL before he was ready - with predictable results both for the player and the team as a whole.
Mercer was drafted in the middle of the first round and had an even steeper trajectory, and has been just fine. Again, maybe this is just a Holtz problem and nothing else.

Last edited:

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Zetterlund goes for Meier

"Devils fans saying Zetterlund is good just to poke fun at Sharks fans is despicable!"

Holtz goes for nothing

"Devils fans saying Holtz isn't good is despicable!"

Never change HF

Holtz was untouchable for Markstrom, but Cotter and 3rd LMAO. Great move by Vegas. Holtz needed out of that place and Schmid has a chance to be at least a solid/above average goalie.
I need to see the post where a Devils fan said they wouldn't give up Holtz for Markstrom. Please provide.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He played 76 games last year. I’m sure he’d have played in the playoffs if they weren’t manipulating LTIR. Holtz also wouldn’t even sniff a second on that team in the playoffs. Guy was playing 11 minutes a night on a train wreck team and didn’t make team Sweden.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Holtz is truly awful but yea he could get 40 pts on a team like Vegas. You'd hope to get more back but here we are. Curious who they sign to replace him because that's evidently the play here.
Imagine if Holtz was given a fraction of the offensive opportunity that Mercer was given. He would’ve outscored mercer by quite a bit. But he wasnt. He was drafted as a top six forward who they played with offensive liabilities on the bottom six.

Reactions: nugg

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
He played 76 games last year. I’m sure he’d have played in the playoffs if they weren’t manipulating LTIR. Holtz also wouldn’t even sniff a second on that team in the playoffs. Guy was playing 11 minutes a night on a train wreck team and didn’t make team Sweden.
He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs. Look at who played over him. If he was that valuable to Vegas why would they trade that player making 775k if he was so valuable.
a good percentage of devils fans were pissed that Holtz was never given opportunity and were happy he was t traded for Meier or Markstrom. Now many of them are happy with this trade cuz they don’t want to admit we lost the trade.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Imagine if Holtz was given a fraction of the offensive opportunity that Mercer was given. He would’ve outscored mercer by quite a bit. But he wasnt. He was drafted as a top six forward who they played with offensive liabilities on the bottom six.
He wouldn't though. He's nowhere near as good as Mercer so he'd never get that opportunity

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
He wouldn't though. He's nowhere near as good as Mercer so he'd never get that opportunity
Holtz had 16 goals and 28 points and Mercer had 20 games and 33 points. Now look at who they played the season with. Lol. Think Mercer would’ve put up that many points playing in the fourth line and Holtz not get anymore palying in the top 6?

Reactions: nugg and Smitty426

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
We'll never know, thx Lindy
I may end up surprised but I doubt it.

Holtz had 16 goals and 28 points and Mercer had 20 games and 33 points. Now look at who they played the season with. Lol. Think Mercer would’ve put up that many points playing in the fourth line and Holtz not get anymore palying in the top 6?
And yet he'll never get that ice time because he's a 40 pt guy who can't skate, avoids board battles, can't defend, and has a shitty attitude. And Mercer had a down year. Mercer has much more trade value... Because he's a much better player. If the Devils gave up Mercer instead of Holtz I'd be furious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad