Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Did I miss rumors or actual news articles somewhere?

Other than Brindy doing Brindy things by sticking with a vet until there is no longer any doubt they can’t do it and it forces the issue (all wrapped up in how he felt he was treated late in his career after the injury), where did we get to the point of also giving up on PK?

We still have PK on a steal of a deal for $2M per for another 3 years. I would argue it is one of the best value deals for a goalie not on their entry deal in the league right now. Who else gives you a 1A/1B level of play and documented legit number of games played per season for that price for the next 3 years? Why are we talking about flipping him or trading him or replacing him? He isn’t perfect but is clearly still developing in a positive direction and over the past couple years showing more and more in the direction of being a legit #1 goalie and, when he plays regularly, he can get on some hot streaks and cover all the crazy high danger chances our d gives up.

Given how this org operates and how much of their entire strategy is finding excess value for each contract dollar, I can’t see them doing anything to give up the value proposition of the PK contract for the next couple years unless there is something official from the team about something behind the scenes?

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I'm one that wishes we'd uses the rotation in thr playoffs, but sest luh vy.

But i also feel like i'm probably on a lonely island in that i don't put the ranger series on freddie. He wasn't great, and he is about 98% the reason game 6 was lost. But even with the goaltending we got, i firmly believe we're not even playing a game 6 if our special teams didn't shit the bed in games 1-3.

Oh well.
… c’est la vie?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
The question isn't should we give up on PK ...the question is....based on how the borg operates and how people view our contention status or potential to retool....what would it take to sell on PK?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The question isn't should we give up on PK ...the question is....based on how the borg operates and how people view our contention status or potential to retool....what would it take to sell on PK?
08eb557a-ee0a-4012-aebd-2c68c440f06a_text.gif

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Ah, the old “N of one” analysis. And Boston’s failure was all goaltending?
you said no coaches do it.

no but it didnt work. Ullmark couldnt get into a rhythm and they sat him afterwards.

margins are too small in the playoffs to have the players worry about which goalie idiosyncrasies to worry about each game. its like when you have 2 starting QBs you dont have 1.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
If you're Jarvis what are you asking for?
I think he could get 8x8m. He's pretty similar comped to Svech after year 3. He gets a bit more though because he showed he can put 33 goals in the back of the net. Tho I'd see if he'd be down for a replica of the Svech deal. 8x7.75M.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean, I think most assumed Ned was safe too, but that didn't stop the organization from giving him away. We have no idea what the Borg is thinking.
So my thoughts on this are that Ned was drafted by the previous regime and as such the Borg was much more willing to move on from him if things didn't go perfectly. Kooch was brought in as part of the first big trade the Borg pulled off after Dundon bought the franchise, in dealing Skinner away. I wouldn't be completely shocked if they keep him around just to show that their analytics were smarter than everyone else thought given it ended up with Kooch and Nikishin in the draft.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
So my thoughts on this are that Ned was drafted by the previous regime and as such the Borg was much more willing to move on from him if things didn't go perfectly. Kooch was brought in as part of the first big trade the Borg pulled off after Dundon bought the franchise, in dealing Skinner away. I wouldn't be completely shocked if they keep him around just to show that their analytics were smarter than everyone else thought given it ended up with Kooch and Nikishin in the draft.
Will be interesting. Re: analytics people.

In my career, I found them not to be emotionally tied to situations but rather what the numbers told them.

Thus, if they can improve by moving Pyotr they would make the move & wouldn’t hold on just to prove a point.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
based on how the borg operates, PK is nigh immovable.

he has three more years at a low cap hit, that he has (imo, but assume it isn't a crazy opinion) already out-performed. those guys only get dealt if there is both an obscene overpay, and an anticipation that a replacement will be readily available.

how many goalers in the league have been as good as PK the last couple years, for anything close to the price, and the price won't change for years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad