Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Well, I think any ufa re signing is a loaded issue with us. It’s hard to imagine JG and TK getting signed. Though both would help obviously. Maybe one would and the other wouldn’t. It’s just one thing to give up prospects for one, and something else to give a 50-70 pt scorer who’s team controlled currently for something similar.

Both would be closer to the team I think we’d all like.

Who is TK… My mind goes to Tomas Kaberle lol

Reactions: bleedgreen

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
not really. Dude's just a bad idea that carries negative value in a potential Necas trade. The kind of thing where if we want to trade Necas for Crouse+ instead of say Kerfoot+ we have to agree to take Bjug's contract as well.

Maybe that's true, but admittedly I can be a sucker for meat and size, especially if I think it can come relatively cheaply.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Unless Tkachuk wants out, I can't see any way we could make a deal with Ottawa for him.

Slightly younger,
Better player
Better goal scorer
More Physical
Team Captain
Under contract for 4 more years.

If I was in their shoes, I wouldn't trade him for Necas, a late 1st and mid tier prospect.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I think that's more comparing Pesce to TDA not Chat.
Orlov/Chatfield took what would've been Skjei/Pesce's minutes. Skjei ended up on the defacto 3rd pair with TDA.

Chatfield is more athletic and a better skater but he's way behind Pesce in defending zone entries, net front, and on the PK; that was what became obvious to me against NYR.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Unless Tkachuk wants out, I can't see any way we could make a deal with Ottawa for him.

Slightly younger,
Better player
Better goal scorer
More Physical
Team Captain
Under contract for 4 more years.

If I was in their shoes, I wouldn't trade him for Necas, a late 1st and mid tier prospect.
Probably right but hopefully he prefers the South like his brother.

Finally watched the 6th game (only went two periods) this afternoon and FWIW: Necas played great (arguably best Canes on the ice) and it was his hit that started the sequence that led to his goal. If that is the new Necas and what we would see going forward I wouldn’t trade him unless it was for a star/superstar.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Probably right but hopefully he prefers the South like his brother.

Finally watched the 6th game (only went two periods) this afternoon and FWIW: Necas played great (arguably best Canes on the ice) and it was his hit that started the sequence that led to his goal. If that is the new Necas and what we would see going forward I wouldn’t trade him unless it was for a star/superstar.
His GF seems to think they're gone. They've packed up their place and split. Lots of tearful posts re: leaving Raleigh. She comes across as very genuine and down to earth.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
If you couldn't get Utah to part with Logan Cooley, how about Dylan Guenther + ? RH, great shot, 6'2", dangerous around the slot / net, did very well this season.

Reactions: Unsustainable

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
If you couldn't get Utah to part with Logan Cooley, how about Dylan Guenther + ? RH, great shot, 6'2", dangerous around the slot / net, did very well this season.
I feel like we'd have to add another significant piece to even sniff getting him...and even then he may be a non-starter

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
His GF seems to think they're gone. They've packed up their place and split. Lots of tearful posts re: leaving Raleigh. She comes across as very genuine and down to earth.

It certainly seems like the Canes are close to deciding that Guentzel is the must-keep over Necas. If true, this may be the first time I've seen the Canes take a long-term gamble on the older player over the younger player.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Too bad. As I noted earlier, I’d keep him because I think he is on the verge of getting to another level.

His enhanced play should hopefully bring a better asset in return than he would have without a good series.

It certainly seems like the Canes are close to deciding that Guentzel is the must-keep over Necas. If true, this may be the first time I've seen the Canes take a long-term gamble on the older player over the younger player.
Maybe seeing rangers have good luck with kreider and tro. I’d think it’s more about 59 though and his great interaction with 20.

Reactions: Daeavorn

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
There are a bunch of factors in which player to keep and age is only one of them. Guentzel is a proven good player and Necas is a player who has the talent to be good but simply isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad