Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Fast and Skjei would be the ones I move this TDL. Strome in a year or 2, for 'cap-reasons' and it's assuming he has larger demands.

Fast is a good performer, when used properly, leads by example but is not worth UFA money.
Skjei is an underperformer and does not lead.

Keeping Kreider and Strome for the foreseeable ( 1-2 years) future would be my plan.

Kreider performs and leads and is well worth $6ish M.
Strome performs and leads and is controllable.

IMO The 'lazy way' as you mentioned would be to just get rid of Kreider.

edit - further elaborated

The lazy way would be to move DeAngelo because hes the "easiest" to move.

I dont have an issue moving any of those guys above and if Kreider stays, I think all of them need to go - at least 2 of them either now or by the end of summer.

I think an AAV of 6ish would for Kreider would be great, the problem is he is probably getting closer to 7.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
strome was good here last year before panarin even got here. cant it be looked at that something just clicked for him?

Agreed. If it was all Panarin then Fast would have a shit ton more points.

Strome has had his numbers boosted, but he has been playing objectively good hockey. He's certainly a true 2nd line center right now.

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
Agreed. If it was all Panarin then Fast would have a shit ton more points.

Strome has had his numbers boosted, but he has been playing objectively good hockey. He's certainly a true 2nd line center right now.
he's also 26. dont see the obsession with punting guys as soon as they hit 26/27

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
With Strome it’s kind of humorous. Edmonton traded for him thinking he could do exactly what he’s doing now but with either McDavid or Draisatl. That never happened. I’m hopeful that his next deal will be more team friendly based on the fact that he’s a RFA and he was pretty much dumped for free to the Rangers who helped resurrect his career.

For me, it’s Fast and Skjei who would be the first two to go. From there they’d need to look at what Strome and ADA ask for and receive and then eventually how Kakko, Chytil and others develop. If they develop well perhaps Buch is expendable. If not, he’ll need to be kept.

Reactions: Cawlidge Hawkey

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I have been in the Pro trade CK21 camp for a longer time. I just had a chat with someone that told me he thinks the Rangers will keep him, if they can meet in the middle of their given offers. 60-70% chance he is still a Ranger on Tuesday iow. If JG does not receive a better offer, it is likely he stays/signs tomorrow and others are moved instead. Skjei was the first name he mentioned. He also said he thinks Hank will not be a Ranger next year. I asked trade, buyout or retirement? He simply said it is up to the King. THey will let him choose his destiny.Kind of like that Frank guy in jail in The Godfather 2. ;) 8th year was bad for all involved parties.Same old same old

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I’m a little surprised Gorton hasn’t done anything yet. Generally he likes to space out his deals so he can concentrate on one at a time
the team making a playoff push has a lot to do with it. Plus unlike Hayes/Zucc there is contract talks with Kreider’s otherwise he would be gone. I mean the two teams that were the front runner both dropped out. I know Edge brought up Dallas but I don’t know if they have actually offered anything close to what Gorton wants

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Smith, Staal and HL become more 'tradeable' after July 1st.

What they would be owed
Smith 2.35
Staal 3.2
HL 4.5

May cost us a draft pick but for teams with cap space but are penny pinchers, it could become palatable.

Reactions: JC704

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
With Strome it’s kind of humorous. Edmonton traded for him thinking he could do exactly what he’s doing now but with either McDavid or Draisatl. That never happened. I’m hopeful that his next deal will be more team friendly based on the fact that he’s a RFA and he was pretty much dumped for free to the Rangers who helped resurrect his career.

For me, it’s Fast and Skjei who would be the first two to go. From there they’d need to look at what Strome and ADA ask for and receive and then eventually how Kakko, Chytil and others develop. If they develop well perhaps Buch is expendable. If not, he’ll need to be kept.

exactly, because both fast and skjei are replaceable. if they trade fast/skjei, then theres plenty of money to ride out next year until their cap clears up

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
the team making a playoff push has a lot to do with it. Plus unlike Hayes/Zucc there is contract talks with Kreider’s otherwise he would be gone. I mean the two teams that were the front runner both dropped out. I know Edge brought up Dallas but I don’t know if they have actually offered anything close to what Gorton wants

I get what you’re saying, but moving someone like Fast, who for sure couldn’t be retained next year if they sign Kreider, would be a prudent move.

Reactions: NYRangers0723

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I have been in the Pro trade CK21 camp for a longer time. I just had a chat with someone that told me he thinks the Rangers will keep him, if they can meet in the middle of their given offers. 60-70% chance he is still a Ranger on Tuesday iow. If JG does not receive a better offer, it is likely he stays/signs tomorrow and others are moved instead. Skjei was the first name he mentioned. He also said he thinks Hank will not be a Ranger next year. I asked trade, buyout or retirement? He simply said it is up to the King. THey willlethim choose his destiny.THat 8th year was bad for all involved parties.Same old same old
Spot on

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
exactly, because both fast and skjei are replaceable. if they trade fast/skjei, then theres plenty of money to ride out next year until their cap clears up

BUT this assumes that if they trade these guys that they wouldn’t be getting cap back. Which is probably a bad assumption when looking at Skjei.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Yup. I gotta be honest I think Colorado is playing this smart. They have injuries but they aren’t gonna make a stupid move and trade on if their prospects for a rental or an aging goalie. Look I would love to unload at least some of Hanks money but that’s not gonna happen

Well, if they were trading for Hank they would be giving us crumbs, not one of their prospects. Moving Lundy is about freeing up cap space and resolving the 3 goalie rotation, not getting a viable asset.

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I have been in the Pro trade CK21 camp for a longer time. I just had a chat with someone that told me he thinks the Rangers will keep him, if they can meet in the middle of their given offers. 60-70% chance he is still a Ranger on Tuesday iow. If JG does not receive a better offer, it is likely he stays/signs tomorrow and others are moved instead. Skjei was the first name he mentioned. He also said he thinks Hank will not be a Ranger next year. I asked trade, buyout or retirement? He simply said it is up to the King. THey will let him choose his destiny.Kind of like that Frank guy in jail in The Godfather 2. ;) 8th year was bad for all involved parties.Same old same old

I really don't want Hank to pull a Frank Pietrangelo - that would be sad. :sarcasm:

Reactions: cheech70

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I get what you’re saying, but moving someone like Fast, who for sure couldn’t be retained next year if they sign Kreider, would be a prudent move.
You aren’t wrong. I love Fast. But he is do for a big raise and despite his great defense he doesn’t provide enough offense for it to be worth it

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I don't know much about Jason Robertson but if we do get him I'm excited to see how many times per game sam tells us that jason & matthew aren't related.

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
BUT this assumes that if they trade these guys that they wouldn’t be getting cap back. Which is probably a bad assumption when looking at Skjei.
been kicking this one around, but wouldnt they be able to get Labanc + expiring for Skeji and Georgiev? Trading Skjei would solve TDA instantly.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The lazy way would be to move DeAngelo because hes the "easiest" to move.

I dont have an issue moving any of those guys above and if Kreider stays, I think all of them need to go - at least 2 of them either now or by the end of summer.

I think an AAV of 6ish would for Kreider would be great, the problem is he is probably getting closer to 7.
wouldn't that be the dumb move? He's the easiest as in he has value but he's controllable.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
. Didn’t they say that nobody significant is being scratched tonight? Yes things can change but with they have a Sunday still and they still want to make a playoff push
I'm not sure which comments you're referring to since I don't remember Quinn mentioning anything related to today's lineup in the post-game interview. They don't necessarily need to sit anyone prior to the deadline, but it's obviously the more prudent move to avoid injury.

We'll find out more tonight at 530, and if I had to guess, we won't see anyone sitting.

Reactions: NYRangers0723

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

It's not that I think Skjei is some great player or anything but that left side is already pretty weak with him and it will be absolutely putrid without him (unless ADA can shift to the left and be as effective as he is on the right).

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Kreider wise, I don’t know what’s going to happen now. Many angles to look at this and no easy answer.

This is supposed to be a rebuild so I don’t want to go off course a mere 24 months after the letter (actually the rebuild began with Stepan IMO and likely should have started by not extending Staal).

I won’t give him away and it would be nice to have a crystal ball and know what will become of the cap with the new TV deal. I can’t gamble with money I don’t have though.

Performance wise, I’m speculating. Never mind the points, it’s a contract year and we have never seen him play this hard and physical on the boards. This is John LeClair type hockey. I don’t think there is anyway he can keep up this play on the boards and remaking healthy long term and it’s this very style which is making him more attractive. Attractive in ironically a contract year.

It’s fool gold to think we’re going to buy a player who will maintain this level of play long term. We’re buying the guy who is less physical, is going to be hitting 30 years shortly and he’ll get his points while disappearing for long stretches. Heck, he was invisible for a while early this season and now turns it on. Pretty good strategy in a contract year.

We will see shortly what happens

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I've looked at the cap, the major issue is next year. There's ways around it without moving Kreider and keeping the main performers.

I know there's some PTSD going on with Girardi, Staal, Shattenkirk etc... but why are we against signing good players because of what may happen in 2025?

What vet would be added? We're stretched thin in that department already.. Losing Kreider and Fast further depletes that. Strome? Some would have traded him already. The poor performers are gone soon, .ie Smith and Staal. HL retires or is traded.. Who's left? Are we trading for a vet presence or signing UFAs?

Either way, I'm fine with whatever happens but I see it as a greater risk to trade Kreider than to keep him.

Fast and Skjei would be the ones I move this TDL. Strome in a year or 2, for 'cap-reasons' and it's assuming he has larger demands.

Fast is a good performer, when used properly, leads by example but is not worth UFA money.
Skjei is an underperformer and does not lead.

Keeping Kreider and Strome for the foreseeable ( 1-2 years) future would be my plan.

Kreider performs and leads and is well worth $6ish M.
Strome performs and leads and is controllable.

IMO The 'lazy way' as you mentioned would be to just get rid of Kreider.

edit - further elaborated
I'd like to dive deeper into the first point of your first post, which you start to address in the second post.

We have $23.8m committed to forward next year so far. Let's say Kreider gets $6.2 for the sake of round numbers, but it won't happen. Pepe gets $2.5, the replacements for Fast and McKegg are $2m total. Let's put a pin in Strome for now. $34.5m for forwards.

Defense is at $35.7 with smith and staal on cap friendly. ADA needs a raise, lets say $5m. $40.7m.

Goalies are at $9.4 with Georgiev need a deal. Let's say $3m but that's generous with arb rights and probably no desire to stay in a 3 goalie system. $12.4m.

Dead cap is $7.5m. Plus the current salary of $85.5m. What is the cap next year? $80m. That is $13m over. What about Strome? Another $5m, to be generous to the crowd that thinks it's easier to keep Chris.

Buyout Staal saves $2.1, Smith $1.7, Lundqvist $3. Not even $6m. Drop Skjei and replace him with Hajek, saves you less than $5. Boot Buchnevich, that's $3.25. There, cap compliant. You have to add Rykov or K. Miller for Staal's spot. DiGuisseppi and Gauthier and Kakko platoon for Buch. And I'm still being generous because the Skjei and Buch trades didn't return any salary.

Top 6 is ok, the defense is skating circles because the left leg is amputated. Barely cap space, if the rookies hit bonuses we bleed into the following year with more dead cap from the new buy outs. So playoffs are meh, I think that's a worse team than this year.

I don't think its as cut and dry, or as easy as many imply.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
It's not that I think Skjei is some great player or anything but that left side is already pretty weak with him and it will be absolutely putrid without him (unless ADA can shift to the left and be as effective as he is on the right).
Which is why it'd be nice to see them trying it for more than spot duty to see how he fares before we have to take the decision on a Skjei trade.

So far he's excelled in whatever LD spot duty he's been given as a Ranger.

Reactions: Matt Rentfree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad