Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
yeah, but that's not the case concerning Kreider.

Kreider performs and is helping lead the group.

Kreider isn't the only vet on the team doing this. If they trade him, it doesn't deny them the opportunity to add other vets immediately or later on.

I dont think people are worried about the immediate impact (though I think they should be) but casting aside potential issues (cap) that have a very real chance of coming to fruition just doesn't seem like an honest way of looking at things, especially since those very issues are staring this team in the face right now.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
We won't know anything about the lineup until 530 tonight since there isn't a morning skate

. Didn’t they say that nobody significant is being scratched tonight? Yes things can change but with they have a Sunday still and they still want to make a playoff push

Reactions: RGY

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Kreider isn't the only vet on the team doing this. If they trade him, it doesn't deny them the opportunity to add other vets immediately or later on.

I dont think people are worried about the immediate impact (though I think they should be) but casting aside potential issues (cap) that have a very real chance of coming to fruition just doesn't seem like an honest way of looking at things, especially since those very issues are staring this team in the face right now.
I've looked at the cap, the major issue is next year. There's ways around it without moving Kreider and keeping the main performers.

I know there's some PTSD going on with Girardi, Staal, Shattenkirk etc... but why are we against signing good players because of what may happen in 2025?

What vet would be added? We're stretched thin in that department already.. Losing Kreider and Fast further depletes that. Strome? Some would have traded him already. The poor performers are gone soon, .ie Smith and Staal. HL retires or is traded.. Who's left? Are we trading for a vet presence or signing UFAs?

Either way, I'm fine with whatever happens but I see it as a greater risk to trade Kreider than to keep him.

Reactions: NYRangers0723

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I've looked at the cap, the major issue is next year. There's ways around it without moving Kreider and keeping the main performers.

I know there's some PTSD going on with Girardi, Staal, Shattenkirk etc... We're against signing good players because of what may happen in 2025.

What vet would be added? We're stretched thin in that department already.. Losing Kreider and Fast further depletes that. Strome? Some would have traded him already. The poor performers are gone soon, .ie Smith and Staal. HL retires or is traded.. Who's left? Are we trading for a vet presence or signing UFAs?

Either way, I'm fine with whatever happens but I see it as a greater risk to trade Kreider than to keep him.

They can do either. Age and a crap load of experience aren't really necessary elements for leadership. You're right, it can't be coming from your rookies, but you don't need to be 30+ with 1000 games in the league.

Also keeping Kreider basically means that you'll be sending Fast and Strome (maybe even Skjei?) out, unless they take the dumb and lazy route. Does that disposal of experience worry you?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
They can do either. Age and a crap load of experience aren't really necessary elements for leadership. You're right, it can't be coming from your rookies, but you don't need to be 30+ with 1000 games in the league.

Also keeping Kreider basically means that you'll be sending Fast and Strome (maybe even Skjei?) out, unless they take the dumb and lazy route. Does that disposal of experience worry you?
Fast and Skjei would be the ones I move this TDL. Strome in a year or 2, for 'cap-reasons' and it's assuming he has larger demands.

Fast is a good performer, when used properly, leads by example but is not worth UFA money.
Skjei is an underperformer and does not lead.

Keeping Kreider and Strome for the foreseeable ( 1-2 years) future would be my plan.

Kreider performs and leads and is well worth $6ish M.
Strome performs and leads and is controllable.

IMO The 'lazy way' as you mentioned would be to just get rid of Kreider.

edit - further elaborated

Last edited:
Reactions: NYRangers0723

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Fast and Skjei would be the ones I move this TDL. Strome in a year or 2

Skjei I want to move. Strome I like but I feel like has been kind of fools gold. Let’s be honest playing with Panarin is a major reason he is all of a sudden is grabbing points. He is tough to watch on the PP that’s for sure. I’d like to keep CK Fadt and Strome but that isn’t possible. If I had the choice yeah CK is the one who is the toughest to replace

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
As an aside, I have legitimate interest in seeing how the fanbase would melt down if it’s actually true the Islanders are heavy on Kreider and he gets moved there

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Yeah forgot they have Grubauer signed as well

Yup. I gotta be honest I think Colorado is playing this smart. They have injuries but they aren’t gonna make a stupid move and trade on if their prospects for a rental or an aging goalie. Look I would love to unload at least some of Hanks money but that’s not gonna happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad