Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
with the added cap space, I know everyone expects us to know make a trade but part of the added space is also being to operate...we had so little cap space before that we ran the risk that if we had multiple injuries that were not LTIR meaning the injured player still counts against the cap and we don't have cap space to call another player up...NJ ran into this a few years ago after signing Kovalchuk where they played games with 16-17 skaters cause they couldn't call guys up

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Dvorak, Crouse and 1st to NYR for Kreider and Fast?? Kreider reunited with Stepan. Rangers get a future center and another gritty winger good along the boards and future talent.

Or Dvorak for Fast?? If you wanna save Kreider but it might lower his trade value if he has a garbage year.

I'd do it. There's no way Arizona does.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Correct. 2 good forwards doesn't make you a play off team
what about Colorado? Carolina?

Our defense is not playoff caliber. It's a blend of personnel and system IMO. Hopefully it gets resolved next season. -Staal -Ruff is a good start

I know its a extremely small sample size but our special teams seemed to have improved greatly.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
what about Colorado? Carolina?

Our defense is not playoff caliber. It's a blend of personnel and system IMO. Hopefully it gets resolved next season. -Staal -Ruff is a good start

I know its a extremely small sample size but our special teams seemed to have improved greatly.

Carolina has a far better defensive core than we do. It's not even close. Colorado is probably a fringe play off team at best

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
What type of return can we expect for Kreider?

Whatever it is, this board will find a way to say it wasn't enough and that Gorton is clueless.

I'm sure the Rangers would like to get a good young player for Kreider. However, it's more likely that he returns something similar to Hayes. Perhaps even a bit less given that centers are at a premium at the deadline while wingers are usually in abundance. However, he's a unique player and you never know what the market will look like leading up to the deadline.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Whatever it is, this board will find a way to say it wasn't enough and that Gorton is clueless.

I'm sure the Rangers would like to get a good young player for Kreider. However, it's more likely that he returns something similar to Hayes. Perhaps even a bit less given that centers are at a premium at the deadline while wingers are usually in abundance. However, he's a unique player and you never know what the market will look like leading up to the deadline.

I would expect the typical Hayes/Stastny type of return.

He's not playing a premium position such as center, but he's also potentially more dangerous if you unlock what he can bring.

A first round pick and a second tier young player/prospect would be the suspected market price.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Kreider to Tampa for their first and someone like Taylor Raddysh or Mitchell Stephens

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I find it incredibly odd that a ton of people are so convinced the team can't win anything this year, has no chance, and shouldn't even try. What's the point then? It's two games. Maybe the team will be good. Maybe it won't. We really don't know. We certainly shouldn't act with the belief the team will be bad and intentionally make bad decisions. That just helps guarantee a bad outcome. This isn't a team like Edmonton that has a ton of random veterans that aren't any good on it to mix in with their stars. It's a team with a few top players (obviously nowhere near Edmonton's) and then a ton of youth with huge variance in their performance. Like is everyone so concerned about getting to the end of the year, seeing the team isn't in a playoff spot, and then gloating that they were right all along? Dom Luszczyszyn's model on the Athletic had this team at 20% to make the playoffs. While low that is nowhere near negligible and indicates a pretty reasonable chance that it can happen. 20% chance is slightly less often than the amount of times Pete Alonso came to the plate and got a hit this year, for example (22%). But to say with absolute certainty this team is going to be around the bottom and can't make the playoffs is just completely misunderstanding the situation. This isn't the NBA where the bad teams have zero chance.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I’m saving big money on a center acquisition until the summer of 2022. Development or stopgaps until then. Would look to trade non first round picks and depth defenseman for a decent middle C at some point before then.

2022 UFA centers:

Barkov
Hertl
Giroux
Hertl
Trochek
Couturier
Rakell

Zibanejad...

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Listening to Carp on the new Athletic podcast and it sounded like they don't want to rush into putting one of the kids in a role offensively that they cannot handle and that Strome is likely to be the 2C until Chytil comes up.

I can get that and Andersson doesn't really have anything to learn in Hartford at this point, but if the 2nd line can't get going after all this practice time together, changes to those lines is likely going to be needed, and while it may not be Andersson, it could be Howden that fills that role. Would not be thrilled with this, but until Chytil can get it together, this is what we got.

One thing with this trade is that Andersson probably takes the PK time that Namestnikov was taking. I don't think there is a forward that isn't being used in that role that could be or should be.

Zibanejad, Howden. Fast, Andersson, Lemieux, and possibly McKegg. Guess Strome could kill penalties too. But by the end of this month, we should get an idea if that 2nd line is actually something that can work.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad