Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2019/2020)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Flame-warning, but I can’t help myself. I was just watching the end of the Buffalo-CBJ.

How come Jack Eichel isn’t called out more than he is? This is by far the biggest slacker I’ve seen in the NHL since I don’t know when, Yashins worst days maybe. Lol

I won't comment on specifics publicly, but Buffalo has been and perhaps still is, run very poorly as an organization.

I'm a big Ralph Krueger fan, so things may change, but Eichel isn't a guy I would put the C on.

Reactions: JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think Bobpop mentioned it the other day about acquiring a RNH. I think that is the right situation to target, but EDM isn't trading him because they don't have the overall forward depth.

There aren't too many teams with 3 top 6 level centers, but that's the type of team who would make a good dance partner for a top 6 center.

I expect that player to be acquired by a trade, perhaps a very unpopular one at that.

We're talking a combination of the following:

DeAngelo
Georgie
Strome
Picks
D Prospects

A couple of hockey guys I know hold Georgie in very high regard. That number has gone up thr last year.

If DeAngelo plays 22-24 a night, he'll come close to leading the league in turnovers... Which isn't bad since he would be in the league as Burns, Subban and Doughty in that regard, but if he's not piling up the points....

Strome would be a roster spot swap if moved.

You have extra picks and enough good defensive prospects to build a very good package.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I think Bobpop mentioned it the other day about acquiring a RNH. I think that is the right situation to target, but EDM isn't trading him because they don't have the overall forward depth.

There aren't too many teams with 3 top 6 level centers, but that's the type of team who would make a good dance partner for a top 6 center.

I expect that player to be acquired by a trade, perhaps a very unpopular one at that.

DeAngelo
Georgie
Strome
Picks
D Prospects

A couple of hockey guys I know hold Georgie in very high regard. That number has gone up thr last year.

If DeAngelo plays 22-24 a night, he'll come close to leading the league in turnovers... Which isn't bad since he would be in the league as Burns, Subban and Doughty in that regard, but if he's not piling up the points....

You have extra picks and enough good defensive prospects to build a very good package.
This, while being an upgraded version of a pu-pu platter, is still a pu-pu platter. For a young top-6 C there's not nearly enough pain in those pieces.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Moving him back to wing so he can be a below average NHL player NOW is short sighted to say the least.

If he cooks in Hartford for half a year or a year, so be it.
I disagree. I’d rather him be a very good wing than an average center. They are trying to force him at C. That’s worse.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I disagree. I’d rather him be a very good wing than an average center. They are trying to force him at C. That’s worse.
Those aren't the only two choices, nor are they even the most likely outcomes.

Unless I'm mistaken he's said he prefers C and played it before being drafted.

He got moved to wing because NHL defensive responsibilities at C were beyond him and he had a knack for stealing the puck on the wall when forechecking. He also developed a habit of not being able to receive passes or control the puck last year that was downright comical. He's a bad wing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Those aren't the only two choices, nor are they even the most likely outcomes.

Unless I'm mistaken he's said he prefers C and played it before being drafted.

He got moved to wing because NHL defensive responsibilities at C were beyond him and he had a knack for stealing the puck on the wall when forechecking. He also developed a habit of not being able to receive passes or control the puck last year that was downright comical. He's a bad wing.
I don’t think he is a bad wing. I think he is a bad center. There is much evidence to support him being a bad center than a bad wing.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
I find it incredibly odd that a ton of people are so convinced the team can't win anything this year, has no chance, and shouldn't even try. What's the point then? It's two games. Maybe the team will be good. Maybe it won't. We really don't know. We certainly shouldn't act with the belief the team will be bad and intentionally make bad decisions. That just helps guarantee a bad outcome. This isn't a team like Edmonton that has a ton of random veterans that aren't any good on it to mix in with their stars. It's a team with a few top players (obviously nowhere near Edmonton's) and then a ton of youth with huge variance in their performance. Like is everyone so concerned about getting to the end of the year, seeing the team isn't in a playoff spot, and then gloating that they were right all along? Dom Luszczyszyn's model on the Athletic had this team at 20% to make the playoffs. While low that is nowhere near negligible and indicates a pretty reasonable chance that it can happen. 20% chance is slightly less often than the amount of times Pete Alonso came to the plate and got a hit this year, for example (22%). But to say with absolute certainty this team is going to be around the bottom and can't make the playoffs is just completely misunderstanding the situation. This isn't the NBA where the bad teams have zero chance.
I m just being patient and enjoying the ride. This is fun to watch. And when we win it all ...

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I don’t think he is a bad wing. I think he is a bad center. There is much evidence to support him being a bad center than a bad wing.
Regardless of a difference of opinion, he pretty clearly needs time in Hartford. There's only this agitation because Ryan Strome has looked bad the first two games, and the organization shouldn't and isn't letting Ryan Strome dictate the development of their prospects.

Reactions: GAGLine

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I disagree, I think the stats describe Kreider accurately. He produces at a 1st line rate at 5v5 and drives possession at an elite rate. Sounds about right to me.

3cqyxu.jpg

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this organization knows they are legit awful up the middle. after mika, there is no one. nothing.

the rest of the league knows this too. perhaps after mika, the worst 2-4 center depth in the league. certainly bottom 3.

the failure of any of the kids to grab hold of the 2c spot there by allowing the others to properly slot 3 and 4 has created an issue that must be addressed.

shut down the 1st line (easier said that done) and you can beat this team.

i expect some serious examination of alternatives.

brady skjei, ADA perhaps and a few D prospects will be in play. i also expect all 3 of the young kids who couldn't grab that 2C spot to be available along with buchnevich and certainly CK.

something needs to happen here.

or strome can have a good stretch and that 2nd line has a good few games. otherwise, changes will happen sooner rather than later.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
this organization knows they are legit awful up the middle. after mika, there is no one. nothing.

the rest of the league knows this too. perhaps after mika, the worst 2-4 center depth in the league. certainly bottom 3.

the failure of any of the kids to grab hold of the 2c spot there by allowing the others to properly slot 3 and 4 has created an issue that must be addressed.

shut down the 1st line (easier said that done) and you can beat this team.

i expect some serious examination of alternatives.

brady skjei, ADA perhaps and a few D prospects will be in play. i also expect all 3 of the young kids who couldn't grab that 2C spot to be available along with buchnevich and certainly CK.

something needs to happen here.

or strome can have a good stretch and that 2nd line has a good few games. otherwise, changes will happen sooner rather than later.

The monster package this team could put together could certainly grab one helluva center.

As much as I'd hate to see a combo of:
Howdy/Lias/Chytil/K'Andre/Tony/Kreider/Georgie go....
I mean holy f*** that would net us a freaking ridiculous player...

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't think you'd find many people who would pick Nylander/Dvorak/etc over Byfield, but betting on Byfield is going to require an awful lot of lottery luck on the Rangers part. Plus, as good as he is now and projects to be over time, there's a real chance that he isn't a viable top-six NHL center until 2021 or beyond. It's a very hard position to step in and excel at.

It all comes back to what a lot of us were saying in the spring. Signing Panarin and trading for Trouba definitely help the team, but they've also started the clock on results. At some point the Rangers will have to step in to address the problem if it's not solved from within, and "just wait a little more" isn't going to suffice.

Eh, starting a clock is not the same as there being an urgency to immediately address.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This, while being an upgraded version of a pu-pu platter, is still a pu-pu platter. For a young top-6 C there's not nearly enough pain in those pieces.

Pu-Pu platter or not, let's walk through a couple of scenarios.

Let's say "Wennberg" in CLB rounds back to form as a 60 point center. Not saying he's a great target, because he's not, the guy was a close buyout candidate, but let's look at that situation.

They can't score, they have poor goaltending. But they have great team defense. For them to win games, getting a quality goaltender is part of that equation.

If that "Wennberg's" point production is replaced by other assets in the trade and CLB gets their goaltender, then the Rangers are able to acquire that cost controlled center.

Let's take a look at CHI in the off-season. They have Toews and the good Strome. They also have a real deal RH Center with size that they took with the 3rd pick in Dach.

If CHI misses the playoffs because their goal-tending doesn't hold up, and their defense continues to underwhelm... you have a potential scenario. Not saying it will happen, because team's rarely trade top 6 centers, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

CAR, they have Aho & Staal. They also have Necas playing on the wing. They are ready to take a step. Peter Mrazek and James Reimer aren't cutting it. Necas is struggling. A Strome & Georgi starting point makes their roster better today

A playoff run for a team like CAR equals to a profitable equation. They've got a ton of prospects as well. Can they "not" afford to make the deal?

ANA traded all of their defensemen after drafting and developing them for crappy returns. They have Getzlaf and Henrique. They also have Comtois and Terry that can play the middle. One of those kids as a center piece for DeAngelo is a reasonable return. Are those kids top 6 centers? No, but can they be?

It's a question of the proven commodity versus the unproven commodity.

The Rangers have several unproven commodities that are being given the chance to prove themselves as a top 6 center. I don't think any of them will in the next two years. You still have 2 NHL centers in Andy and Howdie, but they aren't top 6 players.

You have four external options:

Trade for a proven commodity & pay a premium price point.
Trade for an unproven commodity & have the other team pay a premium price point, or make a straight swap hockey trade.
Sign a free agent.
Get lucky and draft one.

Call it a gut instinct, but methinks they trade for one. And if the team is good enough at this trade deadline. It's sooner rather than later.

My dark horse pick:

Anthony Ciarelli.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Pu-Pu platter or not, let's walk through a couple of scenarios.

Let's say "Wennberg" in CLB rounds back to form as a 60 point center. Not saying he's a great target, because he's not, the guy was a close buyout candidate, but let's look at that situation.

They can't score, they have poor goaltending. But they have great team defense. For them to win games, getting a quality goaltender is part of that equation.

If that "Wennberg's" point production is replaced by other assets in the trade and CLB gets their goaltender, then the Rangers are able to acquire that cost controlled center.

Let's take a look at CHI in the off-season. They have Toews and the good Strome. They also have a real deal RH Center with size that they took with the 3rd pick in Dach.

If CHI misses the playoffs because their goal-tending doesn't hold up, and their defense continues to underwhelm... you have a potential scenario. Not saying it will happen, because team's rarely trade top 6 centers, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

CAR, they have Aho & Staal. They also have Necas playing on the wing. They are ready to take a step. Peter Mrazek and James Reimer aren't cutting it. Necas is struggling. A Strome & Georgi starting point makes their roster better today

A playoff run for a team like CAR equals to a profitable equation. They've got a ton of prospects as well. Can they "not" afford to make the deal?

ANA traded all of their defensemen after drafting and developing them for crappy returns. They have Getzlaf and Henrique. They also have Comtois and Terry that can play the middle. One of those kids as a center piece for DeAngelo is a reasonable return. Are those kids top 6 centers? No, but can they be?

It's a question of the proven commodity versus the unproven commodity.

The Rangers have several unproven commodities that are being given the chance to prove themselves as a top 6 center. I don't think any of them will in the next two years. You still have 2 NHL centers in Andy and Howdie, but they aren't top 6 players.

You have four external options:

Trade for a proven commodity & pay a premium price point.
Trade for an unproven commodity & have the other team pay a premium price point, or make a straight swap hockey trade.
Sign a free agent.
Get lucky and draft one.

Call it a gut instinct, but methinks they trade for one. And if the team is good enough at this trade deadline. It's sooner rather than later.

My dark horse pick:

Anthony Ciarelli.

I wanted Ciarelli over Namestnikov in that Bolts deal. Underrated player in my opinion

Reactions: Mikos87

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I wanted Ciarelli over Namestnikov in that Bolts deal. Underrated player in my opinion

He’s really good imo. He’s an excellent defensive player, and potted 40 pts while not getting pp time. That’s a high upside player.

The only reason the Bolts trade him is due to the cap. Sergachev and Cernak are due, and they are young top 4 D. Those guys get paid and are harder to replace.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He did very well playing center in the second best league in the world as a teenager.

A “bad center” wouldn’t do that

Reactions: Kovalev27

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

DeAngelo
Georgie
Strome
Picks
D Prospects

Don’t be so sure about what Edmonton is thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad