Speculation: Roster Building Thread V (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Can someone post how much is saved burying Smith in the AHL again? It was only like $500K if I remember correctly?

NHL is such an old boys league despite the emphasis on youth. ADA's character issues are going to follow him around throughout his career. I expect him to have a very similar one to MA Bergeron and play for at least 4-6 organizations.

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
Seems to me ADA just does not want to play for the Rangers. Might be as simple as he does not like Quinn and vice versa.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Can someone post how much is saved burying Smith in the AHL again? It was only like $500K if I remember correctly?

NHL is such an old boys league despite the emphasis on youth. ADA's character issues are going to follow him around throughout his career. I expect him to have a very similar one to MA Bergeron and play for at least 4-6 organizations.
$1.075M in cap is the max that can be buried in the AHL.

So Smith would still count $3.275M towards the cap instead of $4.35M

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It should also stand to reason that if Fox looks unprepared for the NHL, ADA has a tremendous bargaining position.

This is a gamble for both sides. But it's a little tiresome to see every move the kid makes put under a microscope and analyzed for how selfish or immature it was. This is an informed decision, made in conjunction with an agent at the minimum.

You have been a balanced poster in this and all issues, so me piggybacking this post isn't an attack. We've seen this exact move made by a who's who of recent Ranger favorites, including Dubinsky, Kreider and Stepan. I'm not going to fault him for a business decision.

No offense taken. While I understand this is a business, I just look at DeAngelo and my thoughts are that, given the way the Rangers have dramatically increased the internal competition, players are going to need to demonstrate to the organization why they are needed going forward. This goes for the majority of these kids. Any time away allows someone else to create a positive impression in his absence.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
CF has them with 24 active players and Marner unsigned. Add Marner in that's 25. So subtract 2-3 players from the current roster, then when H+D return subtract another 2 players from that roster.
I do wonder if it would have been better to have foregone Pajama Boy and now be sitting with Matthews/Marner/Nylander for the next 8 years. They'd have more room for Barrie, too, and Rielly needs a new deal soon IIRC.

Reactions: egelband

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Sign and trade for ADA would maybe the best option for all involved. 2 years at 2,5 M. Let’s say we deal with Edmonton. For J.P. Plus we would of course add a non roster piece of reasonable proportions. Let him (JP) play a while in Finland to hopefully get some of his Mojo back now, no hurry. Doable and smart IMO. And then sign that big guy McQuaid (if OK after concussion) at around 800K. Nastiness box clicked

I say this with the utmost respect for you but this is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. This is a “why do I support these clowns” type of transaction if Management actually went through with it.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Sign and trade for ADA would maybe the best option for all involved. 2 years at 2,5 M. Let’s say we deal with Edmonton. For J.P. Plus we would of course add a non roster piece of reasonable proportions. Let him (JP) play a while in Finland to hopefully get some of his Mojo back now, no hurry. Doable and smart IMO. And then sign that big guy McQuaid (if OK after concussion) at around 800K. Nastiness box clicked
Yikes. Ya lets just give up on a future top offensive defenseman over a few hundred thousand holdout. There are still a ton of unsigned UFAs, guess everyone should give up on them all and trade them.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
$1.075M in cap is the max that can be buried in the AHL.

So Smith would still count $3.275M towards the cap instead of $4.35M

This is a pretty simple answer. Smith goes down along with either McKeg or Nieves. That creates money for keeping Kravstov up and signing ADA with enough cap to operate.

If Kravstov needs time in the minors, then both McKeg and Nieves remain up.

If ADA is being a butt head and holding out for like $1.2 per, then sign Morrow to a two way as a third pair/7th, and let ADA sit for a few weeks. Reunenan can play right side, or Smith can eat up third pair minutes for a little bit.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
we need to keep TDA. He's young, hes a puck moving RHD, why would you just want to get rid of him. Even if you think Fox is ready right away to play top 4 minutes (he's not) we have NOBODY aside from him and Trouba.

Reactions: haveandare

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
JD comment reads like there’s a one-year deal there on the table. JG might be trying to workout a two-year deal in meantime. If so it really is all about $$ for that second year. $1.5 AAV for two years could be set up as $0.9 for the first year (on the table already) and $2.1 for the second.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's a little overblown if this were the first instance. But things like this have followed him since Jr's. He's not good enough, yet, to be a headache. And the Chytil stuff is more about on ice things, giving a consistent effort which you'd expect from a 19 year old, not off-ice bull**** from a 23 year old.

But how do you know it’s not ‘just’ an on ice thing with TDA? It did happen during a game. A retaliation slash that went uncalled but that DQ saw? Skating to slowly to the bench for a line change. It’s either that or like a chirp towards a coach, a cellphone not being muted while the coaches talks or whatever. Why is one so much more likely than the other? I don’t know, just asking.

It’s like when Maloney talked about TDA in his podcast. Maloney makes a positive statement and refers to that TDA had issues in the past but that here in NY he was getting sufficient support to fulfill his potential. Then that is re-reported as Maloney confirming that TDA is a cancer off the ice in NY. He said nothing of the kind.

Just saying, just think the current trashing of him is a bit over the top. In all honestly, Gorton should work day and night to try to get TDA a respectable deal. Because the offer on the table right now is just humiliating.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad