Speculation: Roster Building Thread V (2019/2020)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
It should also stand to reason that if Fox looks unprepared for the NHL, ADA has a tremendous bargaining position.

This is a gamble for both sides. But it's a little tiresome to see every move the kid makes put under a microscope and analyzed for how selfish or immature it was. This is an informed decision, made in conjunction with an agent at the minimum.

You have been a balanced poster in this and all issues, so me piggybacking this post isn't an attack. We've seen this exact move made by a who's who of recent Ranger favorites, including Dubinsky, Kreider and Stepan. I'm not going to fault him for a business decision.

Sure. His bargaining position gets a little better. But at what cost? For that situation to play out like that, ADA would probably have to hold out for training camp and at least some of preseason, most likely into the regular season before it becomes apparent that Fox can't hack it. It's very rare that a player holds out like that and comes back with a good season, especially a young player still developing. So when next summer rolls around and ADA actually has real leverage with arbitration rights, he's coming off of a disappointing season and employers that might just be growing sick of ADA the person. Basically ADA would be trading millions for thousands.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I say this with the utmost respect for you but this is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. This is a “why do I support these clowns” type of transaction if Management actually went through with it.

Yikes. Ya lets just give up on a future top offensive defenseman over a few hundred thousand holdout. There are still a ton of unsigned UFAs, guess everyone should give up on them all and trade them.

Sorry guys. I was very drunk. On cheap whiskey. No excuse. Just an explanation.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
But how do you know it’s not ‘just’ an on ice thing with TDA? It did happen during a game. A retaliation slash that went uncalled but that DQ saw? Skating to slowly to the bench for a line change. It’s either that or like a chirp towards a coach, a cellphone not being muted while the coaches talks or whatever. Why is one so much more likely than the other? I don’t know, just asking.

It’s like when Maloney talked about TDA in his podcast. Maloney makes a positive statement and refers to that TDA had issues in the past but that here in NY he was getting sufficient support to fulfill his potential. Then that is re-reported as Maloney confirming that TDA is a cancer off the ice in NY. He said nothing of the kind.

Just saying, just think the current trashing of him is a bit over the top. In all honestly, Gorton should work day and night to try to get TDA a respectable deal. Because the offer on the table right now is just humiliating.

I don't know who's trashing him but I don't blame people here, or even management, for being hesitant to lock him up long-term. Maybe his agent is giving him bad advice, maybe he thinks he should be paid more, but the reality is he has no leverage. They own his rights and if he doesn't want to play for the Rangers then he don't play this year. But if he's smart he signs the contract, does what the coaching staff expects of him, plays hard, improves his attitude and then on his next deal he'll be set for the rest of his life. I don't think that's too much to ask considering his past.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’ll say this Tony is the most talented Dman on this roster. Really shouldn’t be a debate on that. He’s about as underrated around the league as it gets.

And I don’t know why. He’s got major pedigree as a former first round pick and a guy that absolutely dominated junior hockey. I think the trades hurt him along with the reputation but you watch that’s kid play and man he’s good and only getting better.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Honka is reaching waivers status at this point. Wouldn't offer more than a 5th for him.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
DeAngelo is gonna find out that he needs to accept the offer given to him which I assume is somewhere in the Lemieux range. Nobody is gonna offer sheet him, we will just match unless it's an overpay. He needs to get his ass on the ice.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
id offer Vlad Namestnikov at %50 and rather keep that 5th round pick

Dallas doesn't have the cap space to fit Names, even at 50%.

Edit: With Johns on LTIR, they do, but he's going to come off LTIR at some point, I would assume.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Options on the right side are limited, however. I can't imagine anyone's ideal this season was having Brendan Smith play 82 games as the 3RD
They're paying him and the team is still in the process of rebuilding, so... :dunno:

Also, for as much as everyone resents Smith for screwing up two offseasons ago and getting out of shape, and essentially spiraling since, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility he rehabilitates back to the player who earned that contract, ya know. He's only 30...

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Sign and trade for ADA would maybe the best option for all involved. 2 years at 2,5 M. Let’s say we deal with Edmonton. For J.P. Plus we would of course add a non roster piece of reasonable proportions. Let him (JP) play a while in Finland to hopefully get some of his Mojo back now, no hurry. Doable and smart IMO. And then sign that big guy McQuaid (if OK after concussion) at around 800K. Nastiness box clicked

Sorry guys. I was very drunk. On cheap whiskey. No excuse. Just an explanation.
I mean, if EDM is also sending us their 1st rounder, then sure! :)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
They're paying him and the team is still in the process of rebuilding, so... :dunno:

Also, for as much as everyone resents Smith for screwing up two offseasons ago and getting out of shape, and essentially spiraling since, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility he rehabilitates back to the player who earned that contract, ya know. He's only 30...

Sure, but he was never much more than a number six in Detroit. He played top 4 hockey for literally one month with us and we have him a top 4 contract because of it.

Best case scenario he plays to the level of a Steve Eminger.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.tsn.ca/patrick-marleau-...utton-headline-ufas-still-available-1.1364568

Ben Hutton
Position: LD
Last Year: 69 GP, 5 goals, 15 assists, 20 points, 22:21 TOI
Last Year’s Cap Hit: $2.8 million
Scoop: Hutton was ranked No. 13 on TSN’s Top 50 in July, so it’s a bit of a surprise he’s lingered this long, particularly after the Canucks declined to extend him a qualifying offer for $2.8 million. Hutton has received multiple offers and he’s currently weighing all of his options, which reportedly include the Kings, Rangers, Red Wings and Wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad